Not Watching Anymore | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not Watching Anymore

Fans fault then?? Reeto...

Seeing as our coach as well as the pundits were expecting better from this team too, I'm not sure blaming fans for unrealistic expectations is very credible.

Everyone was expecting some measure of progress and improvement with all players returning... Except you, I guess...
Have you really giving up watching?

The games are definitely a chore. Even last March. But this has been a theme for a while.
How dare you say the games are a chore! You’re not a real fan go root for someone else.

How dare you say the games are a chore! You’re not a real fan go root for someone else.
giphy.gif

It is a very tough brand of basketball to watch, that's for sure. The offense has been pretty brutal most of the year and the defense has underperformed in contrast to where they were at the end of the year last year. I hope the new blood coming in next year can add some pop and fluidity to the product on the court otherwise threads like these will become a reoccurring theme

Fans fault then?? Reeto...

Seeing as our coach as well as the pundits were expecting better from this team too, I'm not sure blaming fans for unrealistic expectations is very credible.

Everyone was expecting some measure of progress and improvement with all players returning... Except you, I guess...

I actually prefer to see the team in actual action before I make any judgements about how good they are and might be.

Must seem like a strange approach to many based on what I read on here.

I just think that people that pump themselves up and then scream when they are inevitably disappointed are doing it to themselves.

I actually prefer to see the team in actual action before I make any judgements about how good they are and might be.

I just think that people that pump themselves up and then scream when they are inevitably disappointed are doing it to themselves.

You did see the team in action in the sweet 16 run last year... and we brought everyone back.

Instead of picking up where we left off last season, what we have witnessed is akin to a complete rebuild with the same players and the result thus far is a regression in overall play.

Chukwu started this year like he had just set foot on campus and never played with any of his teammates before, as one example... we've seen other players revert to subpar form as well as has been discussed ad nauseum.

However you want to spin it, expectations were higher with all starters returning - as they should be.

And this team has underdelivered on those expectations thus far... and our coach has also stated this.

If you don't want to believe him or anyone else with that perspective, your prerogative but calling people whiners when they disagree with you, doesn't make you right.

You did see the team in action in the sweet 16 run last year... and we brought everyone back.

Instead of picking up where we left off last season, what we have witnessed is akin to a complete rebuild with the same players and the result thus far is a regression in overall play.

Chukwu started this year like he had just set foot on campus and never played with any of his teammates before, as one example... we've seen other players revert to subpar form as well as has been discussed ad nauseum.

However you want to spin it, expectations were higher with all starters returning - as they should be.

And this team has underdelivered on those expectations thus far... and our coach has also stated this.

If you don't want to believe him or anyone else with that perspective, your prerogative but calling people whiners when they disagree with you, doesn't make you right.

As JB said, the fans should have looked at the entire season and not cherry pick the best stretch and use it as a baseline.

But my experience is that people actually like living in Fantasy world.

No skin off my nose. You can build your expectations up as high as you want. You, apparently, are the ones that are going through the hangover symptoms associated with failure to meet them.

I just wish some of our posters would keep their temper tantrums to themselves. I don’t enjoy the incessant drumbeat of everything they think is wrong with the program. This does nothing but vent their spleens. But I guess this is the idea.

Oh yes, and there’s the ego rush they get from telling everyone what the problems are suggesting that if JB had listened to them, the program would be far better off.

As JB said, the fans should have looked at the entire season and not cherry pick the best stretch and use it as a baseline.

No skin off my nose. You can build your expectations up as high as you want. You, apparently, are the ones that are going through the hangover symptoms associated with failure to meet them.

I just wish some of our posters would keep their temper tantrums to themselves. I don’t enjoy the incessant drumbeat of everything they think is wrong with the program. This does nothing but vent their spleens. But I guess this is the idea.

Oh yes, and there’s the ego rush they get from telling everyone what the problems are suggesting that if JB had listened to them, the program would be far better off.

So basically, you don't like other fan's takes you that don't agree with on the SU Bball forum board...

And other fans need to be better posters and lose their ego problems...

Pot meet kettle.

Last edited:
So basically, you don't like other fan's takes you don't agree with on the SU Bball forum board...

Just like you, Kingtidge. just like you.

But I don’t shrink from argument. I like it.

It’s a free country, as they say. People can come on here and crap all over the program, JB, individual players, etc., etc. But when they get some pushback, they get outraged. That’s all I am usually doing, pushing back.

Now there is also this problem the inherent “credibility gap”. The old saying among coaches is “If you listen to the fans, you’ll soon be sitting among them”

Yes, I agree. And, JB stated this in a presser this past fall after a disappointing loss, I believe to ODU if I recall correctly, where he stated this is the same team that lost 14 games last season, 14 games he repeated.

That being said, he inserted his foot into his own mouth so to speak in the preseason when he stated how much he liked this team, how good we were, etc., or along those lines.

Interestingly enough, the only other time I really recall JB saying anything to Katz or the media preseason like that before is the season when we had grad transfer, Andrew White. Ironically, there are similar parallels to both seasons to date. Hopefully, our remaining games to finish the year have an upward change in direction.

Last edited:
Just like you, Kingtidge. just like you. But I don’t shrink from argument. I like it.

It’s a free country, as they say. People can come on here and crap all over the program, JB, individual players, etc., etc. But when they get some pushback, they get outraged. That’s all I am usually doing, pushing back.

Now there is also this problem the inherent “credibility gap”. The old saying among coaches is “If you listen to the fans, you’ll soon be sitting among them”

I don't have a problem with anyone having a take... It's what this board is all about and should be about.

It's a fan forum townie, you're gonna hear fan opinions... and I sure hope the coaches aren't reading this...

You have to have thick skin to be a coach at the D1 level.

Last edited:
I think the one thing this team does pretty well is decide when they are going to mail it in and let the opposing team blow their doors off...

I turned the game off with 9:30 left as it was clear we had devolved into the lollygagging crapshow that leads to a predictable lopsided blowout.
lollygagging crapshow...nailed it, damn lollygaggers!!

Not only that. Then they point their fingers at recruiting, even though they had earlier approved of the players. What gives there? I guess its just too easy to do these things.

Yes, I agree. And, JB stated this in a presser this past fall after a disappointing loss, I believe to ODU if I recall correctly, where he stated this is the same team that lost 14 games last season, 14 games he repeated.

That being said, he inserted his foot into his own mouth so to speak in the preseason when he stated how much he liked this team, how good we were were, etc., or along those lines.

Interestingly enough, the only other time I really recall JB saying anything to Katz or the media preseason like that before is the season when we had grad transfer, Andrew White. Ironically, there are similar parallels to both seasons to date. Hopefully, our remaining games to finish the year have an upward change in direction.
It was also at a time when Carey was looking real good in practice, alumni players were raving about Hughes and Frank was shooting lights out.

40 year fan decides that game is the one that pushes him over the edge. But to each his own, of course.

I was pretty excited going into the Andrew White season, and we crapped the bed. When we got Bazely, I got excited again, because I thought, "OK, JB is working hard recruiting again, and then BOOM. Thompson transfers at the last minute, Bazely never shows up, Quade Green ruined a recruiting class for us by stringing us along, building up this whole posse of guys we thought we were going to get, and then the class turned to crap.

This has been 3 years of kicks to the nut sack. It's getting very hard to stay involved because it's crappy "entertainment" and we just can't seem to get any better as a team. Guys do not seem to improve anymore.

It was also at a time when Carey was looking real good in practice, alumni players were raving about Hughes and Frank was shooting lights out.

Hughes has been great. I did not expect him to shoot this well.

Carey may have looked good in practice, but is trying way too hard in games.

That about summarizes things.
This is THE most disappointing team in the Boeheim coaching era.
Perhaps rivaled by '81-82 team...but they were undersized and Leo Rautins got hurt and missed a bunch of games.

You're forgetting 2 years ago. That team looked even better on paper than this one.

Eureka! We have found the problem.

Unrealistic, even wildly unrealistic, expectations.

Seriously, who could have watched the same basic team for the entirety of the 2017-18 season and thought “Final Four”?

To get this you would have had to projected huge improvements from multiple players.

Of course, these were the heady days in which Dolejaz putting on 20 or 30 lbs. was seen as inevitable.

To be fair to the pre-season optimists, all of our big 3 shot 32-33% from three last year, playing 40 minutes a game because there were literally no subs.

It was not unreasonable to expect them to shoot 34-36%. That's not "out of this world" improvement. It's manageable, especially bringing in a point guard, two more shooters and some front court depth.

I would not have expected all of our Big Three to get clearly worse. But that's what's happened.