Not Watching Anymore | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not Watching Anymore

It's been this entire year and it started with the games I went to in NYC during SU faceplant weekend in November, LOL.

This year has been extra-specially worse since we returned everyone, had high expectations... and no player development has occurred and some players have actually regressed.

That about summarizes things.
This is THE most disappointing team in the Boeheim coaching era.
Perhaps rivaled by '81-82 team...but they were undersized and Leo Rautins got hurt and missed a bunch of games.

After 40 years following this team, it's the first time I've contemplated this.

I turned that game off last night with 9:30 left, as the writing was on the wall.

I really dislike this team and the quality of product being trotted out is terrible and even worse to watch.

I got home last night, put on my cold weather gear and went outside and raked snow off my roof in double-time speed to be inside and ready in time for tip-off. Had to change the clothes as was soaked with sweat.

I felt like Dolezaj and I were the only ones that worked hard last night, LOL.

But seriously, when you hear the term "unwatchable" it's not necessarily a cliche... I really think we're there, sadly.
Holy cow the old football board (where I spend the preponderance of my time here) has broken out on the bball board!

As Miilhouse kinda noted yeah there were whole stretches of games turned off. Same here lately as shortly into the second half it was time to channel hop with only the occassional quick check back. You're not the only one. I love it when my judgement to do this is wrong but that usually does not happen with a surprise comeback, at least not this year.

As noted elsewhere I similarly will never give it up, this at times what on occasion ends up being a dark obsession of all things SU related, but when I know it in my mind that the result is likely 99% foregone conclusion, I'm not into torturing myself (or my poor wife) watching the maddening futility with the resulting frustration.

Last edited:
Perhaps rivaled by '81-82 team...but they were undersized and Leo Rautins got hurt and missed a bunch of games.

Well the seasons not over and we still have a chance at making the tournament. So it hasn’t beaten out 2017 yet IMO.

Turned off when the lead his 12 in the 2nd half to catch up on the Orville on Hulu. I used to actively avoid making plans if possible during games, now I don't even look to see when a game is on.

Man, the year's not over yet.

Don't you remember where SU stood at this point in '06 or '08, or pretty much any of the last four seasons?

They're kind of frustrating. But most disappointing? Not close at this stage.

Don't you remember where SU stood at this point in '06 or '08, or pretty much any of the last four seasons?

Of course, fair enough.

But in calling this THE most disappointing team I mean their performance relative to pre-season expectations. Certainly the pre-season expectations of fans and possibly the coach as well.

The Orange were talked about as a potential Final 4 team. Can't believe anyone would consider that a possibility now.

I think the one thing this team does pretty well is decide when they are going to mail it in and let the opposing team blow their doors off...

I turned the game off with 9:30 left as it was clear we had devolved into the lollygagging crapshow that leads to a predictable lopsided blowout.

Of course, fair enough.

But in calling this THE most disappointing team I mean their performance relative to pre-season expectations. Certainly the pre-season expectations of fans and possibly the coach as well.

The Orange were talked about as a potential Final 4 team. Can't believe anyone would consider that a possibility now.

Again, 2017.

I think the one thing this team does pretty well is decide when they are going to mail it in and let the opposing team blow their doors off...

I turned the game off with 9:30 left as it was clear we had devolved into the lollygagging crapshow that leads to a predictable lopsided blowout.

That's what reminded me of 2006 so quickly. February and early March were rough with that team. They packed it in a couple times. Hate to see that.

Of course, fair enough.

Yeah, I can see that.

My expectations were low. Syracuse hasn't had a good offense in years and I don't see it having one for many more years. Without one, Final Fours will be tough to come by.

Of course, fair enough.

Eureka! We have found the problem.

Unrealistic, even wildly unrealistic, expectations.

Seriously, who could have watched the same basic team for the entirety of the 2017-18 season and thought “Final Four”?

To get this you would have had to projected huge improvements from multiple players.

Of course, these were the heady days in which Dolejaz putting on 20 or 30 lbs. was seen as inevitable.

I'm kind of lucky in that my first year where I followed every game live (either on regional networks or WAER FM88.3) was that season in the early 80's when the team finished 16-13 or something like that. For a long time, a 20 win season (when that still meant something) made me feel satisfied. Spring was here, and I could look to baseball.

Eureka! We have found the problem.

Unrealistic, even wildly unrealistic, expectations.

Seriously, who could have watched the same basic team for the entirety of the 2017-18 season and thought “Final Four”?

To get this you would have had to projected huge improvements from multiple players.

Of course, these were the heady days in which Dolejaz putting on 20 or 30 lbs. was seen as inevitable.

True, but where is any player improvement??

Maybe we weren't a final 4 team but an epic struggle to the bubble with players regressing in form is wildly unrealistic underperformance.

After 40 years following this team, it's the first time I've contemplated this.

I turned that game off last night with 9:30 left, as the writing was on the wall.

I really dislike this team and the quality of product being trotted out is terrible and even worse to watch.

I got home last night, put on my cold weather gear and went outside and raked snow off my roof in double-time speed to be inside and ready in time for tip-off. Had to change the clothes as was soaked with sweat.

I felt like Dolezaj and I were the only ones that worked hard last night, LOL.

But seriously, when you hear the term "unwatchable" it's not necessarily a cliche... I really think we're there, sadly.

You beat me by 8 years. I am a 32 year fan.

Not sure how many years I have been a fan but I watched JB play high school basketball. Probably a long time.

My situation is I have attended 2 games this year - Virginia Tech and NC ST last night - and have that extreme case of disappointment and frustration mentioned by several after our latest poor performance. While at the game last night I was offered a chance to land 2 tickets for the Syracuse/UNC game. As of this moment, I am not sure I can take another disappointment in person. I still have my tickets for the Wake Forest game. Fingers crossed.

Maybe we weren't a final 4 team but an epic struggle to the bubble with players regressing in form is wildly unrealistic underperformance.

“Wildly unrealistic underperformance”???

That’s what you are going with? I don’t think Tyus is unperforming versus last year. He’s pretty much the same player. Dolejaz is contributing more. I don’t know if he’s any better or not.

Frank appears to have regressed. But Chukwo and Sidebe are about the same.

It appears the fans were the ones that were “wildly” optimistic and now these same fans who showed their skill at predicting 2018-19 are telling how to fix it.

Doesn’t seem like they ought too have a lot of credibility, does it.

Regression? I don’t see much of that. If you think Frank’s turnovers were less bad last season, you weren’t watching the games from the same angle I was. Frank isn’t worse. He’s the same.

Again, 2017.
The thing about the 2016-17 season is that the team played terribly during the non conference and then immediately showed renewed promise as conference play got underway and Gillon assumed the main Pg duties. We had knocked off a top 20 Florida State team at home by late January, then beat a good Virginia team and staged an exciting comeback win over NC state on the road. That was all before we knocked off Duke at the Dome on Gillon’s walk off 3 at the buzzer. That team struggled on the road but at least was capable of exciting offense. This team has had a few of those moments but isn’t consistent. I still think they’re capable of at least one more lights out shooting performance against an upper echelon team like Duke or Louisville and hopefully we can get a win in one or more of those remaining games against the iron. It’s frustrating to watch Hughes and Buddy both struggle from distance. I still think it’s about better ball movement and finding them space for room and rhythm jumpers.

Regression? I don’t see much of that. If you think Frank’s turnovers were less bad last season, you weren’t watching the games from the same angle I was. Frank isn’t worse. He’s the same.
JB would disagree. He has repeatedly commented that Frank can’t get by people right now. Last season he drove the lane and attacked the basket (in addition to shooting a decent percentage from 3). This season he’s not doing that. How is that not regression? His shooting has improved recently. Now he needs to stop being cautious and DRIVE by his man and into the lane.

The thing about the 2016-17 season is that the team played terribly during the non conference and then immediately showed renewed promise as conference play got underway and Gillon assumed the main Pg duties. We had knocked off a top 20 Florida State team at home by late January, then beat a good Virginia team and staged an exciting comeback win over NC state on the road. That was all before we knocked off Duke at the Dome on Gillon’s walk off 3 at the buzzer. That team struggled on the road but at least was capable of exciting offense. This team has had a few of those moments but isn’t consistent. I still think they’re capable of at least one more lights out shooting performance against an upper echelon team like Duke or Louisville and hopefully we can get a win in one or more of those remaining games against the iron. It’s frustrating to watch Hughes and Buddy both struggle from distance. I still think it’s about better ball movement and finding them space for room and rhythm jumpers.
That team was “good” on offense in terms of scoring ability but don’t get confused, the offensive gameplan was still bad. We had a guy named Andrew white bail us out many times with tough shots.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you.

JB would disagree. He has repeatedly commented that Frank can’t get by people right now. Last season he drove the lane and attacked the basket (in addition to shooting a decent percentage from 3). This season he’s not doing that. How is that not regression? His shooting has improved recently. Now he needs to stop being cautious and DRIVE by his man and into the lane.

I agree. I saw that last year.

I’m not sure why he isn’t doing that more, but at the same time you are guessing as to what the problem ans the solution are.

“Wildly unrealistic underperformance”???

It appears the fans were the ones that were “wildly” optimistic and now these same fans who showed their skill at predicting 2018-19 are telling how to fix it.

Doesn’t seem like they ought too have a lot of credibility, does it.

Fans fault then?? Reeto...

Seeing as our coach as well as the pundits were expecting better from this team too, I'm not sure blaming fans for unrealistic expectations is very credible.

Everyone was expecting some measure of progress and improvement with all players returning... Except you, I guess...