Not Watching Anymore | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Not Watching Anymore

I actually prefer to see the team in actual action before I make any judgements about how good they are and might be.

Must seem like a strange approach to many based on what I read on here.

I just think that people that pump themselves up and then scream when they are inevitably disappointed are doing it to themselves.

In case you'd forgotten (and I wouldn't necessarily blame you), but we saw most of these guys last year. It's not the "first time" we've seen this team. All of last year's starters and both centers were back.

To be fair to the pre-season optimists, all of our big 3 shot 32-33% from three last year, playing 40 minutes a game because there were literally no subs.

It was not unreasonable to expect them to shoot 34-36%. That's not "out of this world" improvement. It's manageable, especially bringing in a point guard, two more shooters and some front court depth.

I would not have expected all of our Big Three to get clearly worse. But that's what's happened.

Matt, optimism is fine. It seemed logical that we would be better.

To me that’s no problem. But believing your own BS is a problem.

Not dealing well with reality when your rosey projections don’t come true is a problem. Especially when they are casting around for who and what to blame.

Read the posts on the thread “Top 5 All Year” and enjoy the ridiculousness of it in retrospect.

Next year I am going to post “Townie’s Rules for Enjoying the Upcoming Season”.(or how to stay grounded in reality)

1. Don’t assume any recruit is on board till they register for classes.
2. Don’t believe anything about how good recruits are going to be until you see them play. know that as freshman they need to adjust to the speed and toughness of the game.
3. Don’t assume current players get better, bigger, stronger or smarter until you see it.
4. Don’t use the best stretch of the previous season as the baseline for this year’s team.
5. Team chemistry takes a while. What you see in early December is not what you will see in February.
6. It’s better to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.

That will almost certainly be to posts what Gigli was to movies.

Well, I have no idea what Gigli is or was. But I’m guessing it wasn’t significant.

I also know that any attempt to warn these guys about anything from recruiting star ratings to forecasts of improvement is completely futile.

I’m reminded of an old movie quote, “If the Lord didn’t want them fleeced, he wouldn’t have made them sheep”.

The same sheep will be in line next year, having learned nothing from this year.

Well, I have no idea what Gigli is or was. But I’m guessing it wasn’t significant.

I also know that any attempt to warn these guys about anything from recruiting star ratings to forecasts of improvement is completely futile.

I’m reminded of an old movie quote, “If the Lord didn’t want them fleeced, he wouldn’t have made them sheep”.

The same sheep will be in line next year, having learned nothing from this year.

ignatiusjreillyx13j2xe.jpg

After 40 years following this team, it's the first time I've contemplated this.

I turned that game off last night with 9:30 left, as the writing was on the wall.

I really dislike this team and the quality of product being trotted out is terrible and even worse to watch.

I got home last night, put on my cold weather gear and went outside and raked snow off my roof in double-time speed to be inside and ready in time for tip-off. Had to change the clothes as was soaked with sweat.

I felt like Dolezaj and I were the only ones that worked hard last night, LOL.

But seriously, when you hear the term "unwatchable" it's not necessarily a cliche... I really think we're there, sadly.

That(post) took courage.

Yes, I agree. And, JB stated this in a presser this past fall after a disappointing loss, I believe to ODU if I recall correctly, where he stated this is the same team that lost 14 games last season, 14 games he repeated.

That being said, he inserted his foot into his own mouth so to speak in the preseason when he stated how much he liked this team, how good we were were, etc., or along those lines.

Interestingly enough, the only other time I really recall JB saying anything to Katz or the media preseason like that before is the season when we had grad transfer, Andrew White. Ironically, there are similar parallels to both seasons to date. Hopefully, our remaining games to finish the year have an upward change in direction.

Not just JB pre-season, either. How about NY sportswriter of the year, Mike Waters, writing an article about how this could be an all time great defense? I enjoy Townie's posts, but to put this completely on the fans is nonsense. Besides Waters, go back to the pre/early season on here and look at the posts from those who "steer this ship" if you want to completely put this on fans coming up with this on their own.

With that said, Townie's overall sentiment is correct, that if we keep our expectations low and try not to get excited even when others are stoking the fire/beating the drum, we won't be disappointed when things go against logic as much as they did this season. I dont claim to understand this level of regression, I just think it would be helpful if we took it a bit easier on each other, and could picture ourselves seeing it from the "other"'s perspective.

so

Not dealing well with reality when your rosey projections don’t come true is a problem. Especially when they are casting around for who and what to blame.

Read the posts on the thread “Top 5 All Year” and enjoy the ridiculousness of it in retrospect.

Next year I am going to post “Townie’s Rules for Enjoying the Upcoming Season”.(or how to stay grounded in reality)

2. Don’t believe anything about how good recruits are going to be until you see them play. know that as freshman they need to adjust to the speed and toughness of the game.
3. Don’t assume current players get better, bigger, stronger or smarter until you see it.
4. Don’t use the best stretch of the previous season as the baseline for this year’s team.
5. Team chemistry takes a while. What you see in early December is not what you will see in February.
Sorry, this is silly. Sounds wise. To take it to the extreme I could say “I prefer to wait until the season is over, or the end of their career to judge them”. It is entertainment. We speculate. We guess. We hope. You can watch half of a season and be wrong about the trajectory a team takes. Assumptions about improvement are generally solid. You aren’t allowed to place bets after the end of the game.

I love this program but ya its a huge chore.I pretty much have to drink every game. I always have a huge headache at the end from the stress. Its not fun.

We've got something in common, I kinda feel like drinking whenever I log on here. ;)

I would not have expected all of our Big Three to get clearly worse. But that's what's happened.
oshae's true shooting percentage has dipped to 48.3% from 49.1 last year. a drop, but probably not statistically significant
frank, battling through a lingering injury, has seen his ts% climb slightly from last year, from 47.8 to 48.3. again, likely not statistically significant
tyus has made a noticeable improvement, going from 52.3% to 55.1% this year

and the team, of course, 8-4 in conference play after being 6-6 at this point last season

i am disappointed in the performance so far; they are not as good as i thought they would be.

but they are not nearly as bad as the majority of the board is intent on making them out to be, either.

Point #3 needs to be hammered into a wall.

We've forgotten about DB, but that kid likely would've helped a lot of what ails us - as I contradict points 1 and 2.

Point #3 needs to be hammered into a wall.

We've forgotten about DB, but that kid likely would've helped a lot of what ails us - as I contradict points 1 and 2.

LOI signees that never show up is not an excuse.

It's fairly clear at this point that, amongst other things, our player skill level and requisite recruiting to compete in the top tier of the ACC is and has been lackluster in recent years.

Sanctions have been a hindrance for sure and a big part of that struggle, but that thorn in the side is now in the past, thankfully.

This last year and the next couple years in recruiting are at a pivotal point and there are already red flags popping up on key recruits we're losing.

This is JAB's legacy and how he goes out is something he'll want ending on a high note to be sure... He know's it. We all know it.

Here's hoping he's gonna pull some rabbits from hats.

I love this program but ya its a huge chore.I pretty much have to drink every game. I always have a huge headache at the end from the stress. Its not fun.

See, I’m the opposite. Typically if I’m drinking during a game, getting some snacks, etc., it’s because I’m anticipating it being fun and making an event of it.

Now I’m pulling up a stream 10 minutes into the game, without a care in the world that I might’ve missed a few minutes, not even bothering to waste the time or money for food or beverage, maybe doing some dishes at halftime, and not getting fired up or stressed in anyway. It’s unfortunate, but that’s where I’m at most games now.

Wow if it's this doom and gloom now imagine how bad it's going to be when we lose 6 of our last 7.