Not What I Expected | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not What I Expected

I was pleased to see bubble screens to moving receivers with two blockers out in front of them rather than stationary receivers with one blocker.

Inefficient use of 500 yards is better than inefficient use of 300 yards.

There must be a lot of coaches in here, because those are the ones who are never happy, and nitpick every play.

Give me a break. This was the first game with largely a bunch of freshmen and sophomore skill players, an entirely new system and a pretty fair opponent. Babers took what Colgate gave him - nothing more, nothing less. You just saw a Ferrari being driven in first gear by a novice driver without GPS. It is going to be an uneven growth process, but it will give us some great moments.

Dungy has unlimited upside and has studs behind him. Babers could turn out to be one of the best coaches in SU history. Stay tuned.

An optimist sees the glass as half full.

A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.

An internet poster is afraid that if he drinks from the glass, he'll cut his lip and get blood poisoning.
Go look up demitri Martin's bit about half full

I expected our defense to struggle, but they looked great. Excellent coverage all night and crisp tackling. The concerns are all offensive:
1. The oline got blown up by a smaller dline most of the night. No running game minus moe's run and ED had alot of pressure.

2. We were inept on offense in the red zone. Lack of aggressiveness and not throwing the ball to the sticks. Instead, lateral 30 yd throws to the sideline yielding 3-5 yards.

3. This offense obviously neglects the middle of the field. Plenty of yards to be had between the hashs.

4. ED ran way to much against a team of this caliber. Much a result of the online play.

5. Yes, we are lean and in shape on the oline for the pace, but i question our ability to move people on the los.

Hopefully, Dino didnt want to show much tonight for the ville, but alot of questionable play calling and the tempo slowed considerably after an impressive first Drive.
absolutely agree with all u said except pass coverage . colgate dropped at least 4 passes, overthrew open guys, and downfield receivers consistently got distance from the coverage. i counted 4 sacs on dungey anyone know if that is accurate?

Last edited:
Easy fellas, i like the win and love the offense, but if you cant see a few of my concerns for yourselves, you just care about the score and not HOW it happened.
don't take it to heart ish, your assessment is concise and right on the money.

I don't necessarily disagree and I think given Dino's comments, he probably wouldn't either.

I do think we were in first gear both due to it being our first game and I also felt we were holding back a bit for Louisville. There were a lot of plays where it felt like Colgate knew what we were going to do but Dino wanted to see if the guys could do it anyway.

Cordy looked great.
Cordy was awesome. In run support and he really defended his side well.

To the OP this was better than anything the former staff ever did. The only thing we need to clean up is the red zone and against betteer teams Dino goes for atleast 2 of those 4th downs he kicked FGs last night. He wanted to test his kicker last night as he knew the game was better. We forced a punt every series last night against a good I-AA offense.

When scouting players you don't look at what is, you look at what can be. Same thing for young teams and/or new systems. On that basis, this was a 9 or 10 compared to say, Nova 2014 for example.

We need to score over 30 PPG to compete in the ACC. This offense had the potential to score 40 or 50 yesterday. Have not seen that is so long I can't remember. The only thing that matters is the ability of the offense to score points. That question, I think, has been answered. Dungy is very accurate and we have receivers that actually catch the ball when thrown to them. Babers has shown that he will take what the defense gives him and yesterday it was the pass. Tomorrow may be the run.

its pretty clear they ran plays because they wanted to work on them and not just run plays to score points.. you look at what UL did and they had the stud QB do all the running, which is great because he can but it doesnt help the team in the long run get better for week 2-5, if we throw for 600 and score 50 last night that doesnt help us get better either.

554 yards on 81 plays is the definition of efficient. That's 6.8 yards per play. And the short yardage throws are literally what this offense is all about.

Inefficient in the sense that we came out of the red zone four times with FGs rather than TDs.

And it's true I think that Dungey ran too much and that we need to improve on third and short.

Still, it was a lot of fun watching Baber's offense - a lot of fun. Can't wait to see more.

We beat a good FCS team. It was the first game of the season, so yes, some mistakes were made. They looked better and much more disciplined than they did two years ago against Villanova.

Other than the turnover Mahoney lost and a few things that can be fixed, I was happy with the results.

Inefficient in the sense that we came out of the red zone four times with FGs rather than TDs.

And it's true I think that Dungey ran too much and that we need to improve on third and short.

Still, it was a lot of fun watching Baber's offense - a lot of fun. Can't wait to see more.

Babers was quick to point out he wasn't happy with the field goals. He mentioned it on the sideline interview. Anybody who thinks Babers is happy is a nimrod

And like you said it was a lot of fun. As a fan I couldn't be happier. The future is sooooo bright

Ish88888 said:
2 tds were a long pass and a long run, the other td was ED scrambling for jis life and hitting erv. Other than that, 4 fgs in the red zone.

Ha! Watch more BG and Baylor. Those long throws are not an anomaly. Dungey is good at those plays that break down.

The 4 FG were game 1, season 1 problems. They will get fixed.

3. This offense obviously neglects the middle of the field. Plenty of yards to be had between the hashs.

4. ED ran way to much against a team of this caliber. Much a result of the online play.
You are incorrect as to point 3. If you wanted to say that you felt the team didn't attack the middle of the field last night, I'd probably agree with you. Colgate geared its defense to stop the run up the middle, Syracuse had a huge athleticism advantage on the outside, and Syracuse clearly focused their attack to the outside. To extend that observation of this one game to a conclusion as to the entire system of offense and claim this offense "obviously neglects" the middle of the field is wrong. The offense is designed to stretch the defense and exploit the choices the defense makes, which means hitting the middle of the field when the defense is extended.

4. I agree ED ran too much against a lesser team. I'd argue that ED is still learning to be a college pocket passer. There were several times where he bailed on the pocket and looked to run before he needed to. Part of ED's growth and maturity as a QB is going to be to learn to hang in the pocket and deliver the ball. His legs are a wonderful option and weapon (Dino has said as much), but he still needs to mature into the "throwing QB who runs when needed" type that Dino envisions.

Babers was quick to point out he wasn't happy with the field goals. He mentioned it on the sideline interview. Anybody who thinks Babers is happy is a nimrod

And like you said it was a lot of fun. As a fan I couldn't be happier. The future is sooooo bright

Babers seems shocked with the low standards we have for our teams here.

I took a couple of the field goals as semi practice opportunities. We're going to need the FG team at some point to win a game and they need the work just as offense and defense do. And they looked extremely sharp. Going for it on 4th down deep in your own territory and then kicking deep inside the opponent's led me to believe it was getting the unit ready.

It's called game planning ish, the strength of collates team is their defensive line. So we spread them out and attacked the outside. Not sure what the issue is, it wasn't perfect but it was worlds better then what we have seen in the past. Nice to see a coach actually put his players in position to make plays. Wide receiver screens to Phillips instead of custis. Give your athletic, shifty playmakers room in space to make things happen.

Mr Peabody said:
I took a couple of the field goals as semi practice opportunities. We're going to need the FG team at some point to win a game and they need the work just as offense and defense do. And they looked extremely sharp. Going for it on 4th down deep in your own territory and then kicking deep inside the opponent's led me to believe it was getting the unit ready.

I agree in the sense that I was surprised that Babers settled for the FG a couple times when I figured he'd have gone for it on 4th down. He very well may have been (a) giving Murphy and the FG unit a shot to get in work, and (b) making a point to his O that they need to finish drives with TDs.

I really don't expect it to be a big problem.

Last edited:
I agree in the sense that I was surprised that Babers settled for the FG a couple times when I figured he'd have gone for it on 4th down. He very well ma have been (a) giving Murphy and the FG unit a shot to get in work, and (b) making a point to his O that they need to finish drives with TDs.

I really don't expect it to be a big problem.
Were Murphy's kicks even off center? Couldn't get a great angle from my seat by all his FGs looked dead on and strong. Very impressed - looked calm and confident.