Not What I Expected | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not What I Expected

Inefficient in the sense that we came out of the red zone four times with FGs rather than TDs.

And it's true I think that Dungey ran too much and that we need to improve on third and short.

Still, it was a lot of fun watching Baber's offense - a lot of fun. Can't wait to see more.

We'll get better in the red zone. I'm not sure that Babers didn't kick a couple FGs when he might have otherwise gone for it on 4th down just to make a point to his O.

We beat a good FCS team. It was the first game of the season, so yes, some mistakes were made. They looked better and much more disciplined than they did two years ago against Villanova.

Other than the turnover Mahoney lost and a few things that can be fixed, I was happy with the results.

I think people are looking at the name and not realizing that Colgate ended 13th in the polls last year and were preseason 16th. The fact that we won so easily and without a full effort on O is pretty impressive.

When was the last time even in blowouts that 59 or 60 players got in the game? You build depth by getting players in the game, and it looks like Babers might do that. You might lose a game or two that way, but will be better in the long run.

We'll get better in the red zone. I'm not sure that Babers didn't kick a couple FGs when he might have otherwise gone for it on 4th down just to make a point to his O.

It did occur to me that perhaps Babers was calling off the dogs to some extent, though some of the stops occurred after long vertical pass completions.

OrangePA said:
It did occur to me that perhaps Babers was calling off the dogs to some extent, though some of the stops occurred after long vertical pass completions.

He's said flat out that he plays for TDs not FGs. In the 2nd half we had a 4th and 7 from the 15, and a 4th and 3 from the 16 where he decided to kick FGs. Something tells that in similar situations against Louisville we'll be going for it.

Anyway, it doesn't worry me much. I'll take the "problem" of converting a couple more FGs to TDs vs. our recent past, where just getting into the red zone was cause for celebration.

It's called game planning ish, the strength of collates team is their defensive line. So we spread them out and attacked the outside. Not sure what the issue is, it wasn't perfect but it was worlds better then what we have seen in the past. Nice to see a coach actually put his players in position to make plays. Wide receiver screens to Phillips instead of custis. Give your athletic, shifty playmakers room in space to make things happen.
you don't game plan for field goals. they were called because the oline was marginal and no confidence in them with points at stake .i am sure dino is furious about their performance. it will be interesting to see what he does

I think people are looking at the name and not realizing that Colgate ended 13th in the polls last year and were preseason 16th. The fact that we won so easily and without a full effort on O is pretty impressive.

Some people were comparing them to Villanova's team from two years ago. if that's a valid comparison, then we much be much better than we were under Shafer.

Was having that very same discussion last night after the game. Last time we played an FCS team like this, we should have lost. This time, playing a watered down game plan with mediocre execution, we handled them easily.

It is nice having a coaching staff who knows what the hell they're doing. With this system, with this coaching staff, we're light years ahead of where we were two years ago.

There is a lot of "Chicken Little" stuff in the original post. But anyone who watched that oline performance and wasnt completely underwhelmed is diluted. Luckily, its game one and there is time and certainly room for improvement. But without considerable improvement from the oline, 6-6 is going to be a tough task, and forget about staying close with Notre Dame, Clemson and FSU.

There is a lot of "Chicken Little" stuff in the original post. But anyone who watched that oline performance and wasnt completely underwhelmed is diluted. .

Yeah, must be because they're all wet. :p

I predicted the meatheads were waiting to rip this offense. I thought they'd wait until SU lost

I will just add what I thought was great positive, as a counter to some negativity here, Dungey's passing efficiency was simply fantastic. Great credit to ED and the receivers.

I will just add what I thought was great positive, as a counter to some negativity here, Dungey's passing efficiency was simply fantastic. Great credit to ED and the receivers.

And yet Babers was not satisfied with it. There may have been some plays where he completed passes but we would have gotten more yardage if he'd got the ball to a different receiver who was also open.

I've seen a lot worse quarterbacking today than I saw from Dungey last night, and from some big names.

The fact that we have room for improvement on a 34/40 355 yard 33-7 performance is not necessarily bad news.

Jesus, the OP pointed out some obvious things and it's all torches and pitchforks. The concerns are a bit overstated but the reaction is even more over the top.

Thank you gosu96. It was the timing of my post, too soon after the win. Dino went on and cited many of the same things i did in his post game presser. I dont care how good colgates dline might be in the Patriot league, they shouldn't control the los against an acc oline. I sit right behind the visitors bench, and they were small, probably quick and pesky, i get it. I know we are young and i love the young talent, but their play needed to be cited. I love dino and love ed and the young recievers, oline, and dline. have from the start.

Thank you gosu96. It was the timing of my post, too soon after the win. Dino went on and cited many of the same things i did in his post game presser. I dont care how good colgates dline might be in the Patriot league, they shouldn't control the los against an acc oline. I sit right behind the visitors bench, and they were small, probably quick and pesky, i get it. I know we are young and i love the young talent, but their play needed to be cited. I love dino and love ed and the young recievers, oline, and dline. have from the start.
did you notice that Pitt who some think have the best oline in the league had even more issues than us running against vill. no push couldnt control the line, and threw for 250 less as well.

There were flaws and it was the first game under a new coach so that is very expected. I see so much potential from this team on all 3 sides of the ball and this was wonderful compared to the past but as coach said, there are still many works to be done.

GoSU96 said:
Jesus, the OP pointed out some obvious things and it's all torches and pitchforks. The concerns are a bit overstated but the reaction is even more over the top.

Torches and pitchforks? No.

Disagreements? Yep.

And as Scooch said - it's hard to have long list of concerns without mentioning the good. Considering records being challenged, 85% completion %, etc - AND the constant "worry" that this team was another Villanova - we came out pretty good.

There are always areas we need to get better at and its fine to point those things out...

Torches and pitchforks? No.

Disagreements? Yep.

And as Scooch said - it's hard to have long list of concerns without mentioning the good. Considering records being challenged, 85% completion %, etc - AND the constant "worry" that this team was another Villanova - we came out pretty good.

There are always areas we need to get better at and its fine to point those things out...

Considering many leading the chorus were the same ones who took great offense when perfectly legitimate concerns were pointed out about the team last year, it's a bit much. Or should I say not much credibility.

The Gate WR's left a few catches out there and didn't really help their qb move the sticks and yes...that will be a worry when it comes to a far more talented Louisville group of wr's. As Cusian wrote though...the difference between Nova and Gate was huge and I have so much more confidence in this staff as a whole making the correct adjustments as the game and season progress.

GoSU96 said:
Considering many leading the chorus were the same ones who took great offense when perfectly legitimate concerns were pointed out about the team last year, it's a bit much. Or should I say not much credibility.

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't 90% of the board want Shafer fired by October?

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't 90% of the board want Shafer fired by October?
Yep, closer to 99% after the Louisville fiasco.

I, for one, have never called for a coaches head (even Grob) but after the L'ville game it's how I felt. I simply chose not to express it publicly but, at the same time, I quit defending the staff.