Not What I Expected | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Not What I Expected

Yep, closer to 99% after the Louisville fiasco.

I, for one, have never called for a coaches head (even Grob) but after the L'ville game it's how I felt. I simply chose not to express it publicly but, at the same time, I quit defending the staff.

Whoa RMH, you probably should have keep the Grob part to yourself :cool:

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't 90% of the board want Shafer fired by October?

It wasn't until the Louisville game in November and even then there was the #IStandWithShaf people still defending him. People calling for Shafer to be fired in October were attacked on the board and called crazy for not giving a HC 4-5 years.

Thank you gosu96. It was the timing of my post, too soon after the win. Dino went on and cited many of the same things i did in his post game presser. I dont care how good colgates dline might be in the Patriot league, they shouldn't control the los against an acc oline. I sit right behind the visitors bench, and they were small, probably quick and pesky, i get it. I know we are young and i love the young talent, but their play needed to be cited. I love dino and love ed and the young recievers, oline, and dline. have from the start.

Rule of thumb: If the coach is concerned about something, it should be OK for the fans to be concerned about it too.

did you notice that Pitt who some think have the best oline in the league had even more issues than us running against vill. no push couldnt control the line, and threw for 250 less as well.

I did see that. Good point. I get it, teams that are outmanned stop the middle first, shoot gaps with smaller, quicker dlinemen. I was more concerned with our pass protection than i was the run blocking. ED is the key to our year, along with the dline. Again, loved how the dline and backers stepped up after that first Drive.

The Gate WR's left a few catches out there and didn't really help their qb move the sticks and yes...that will be a worry when it comes to a far more talented Louisville group of wr's. As Cusian wrote though...the difference between Nova and Gate was huge and I have so much more confidence in this staff as a whole making the correct adjustments as the game and season progress.
There might have been a reason the Colgate receivers were short arming the QB's passes, like maybe the secondary was laying some lumber? Or the receivers were hearing footsteps.

GoSU96 said:
Considering many leading the chorus were the same ones who took great offense when perfectly legitimate concerns were pointed out about the team last year, it's a bit much. Or should I say not much credibility.

Everyone here is wrong dozens of times a week. I wouldn't crow too loudly.

Truth is always in the middle.

Dude, think before you post. When tipphill is the only other poster that agrees with your point of view, you know you're entering the rarefied air of the "Chicken Little" club.
i am crushed by that assessment---no wait it is a compliment. in order to join your good old boy network i need to but the orange glasses, but the problem is you can't see through them

i am crushed by that assessment---no wait it is a compliment. in order to join your good old boy network i need to but the orange glasses, but the problem is you can't see through them

I did think before i posted, you just heard it from me before dino;) obviously, he has far more credibility than me as he should. I should have posted all the positives as well but i assumed they were obvious, silly me.

Everyone here is wrong dozens of times a week. I wouldn't crow too loudly.

Truth is always in the middle.

The truth is not always in the middle but it is easier to see it from there.

SWC75 said:
The truth is not always in the middle but it is easier to see it from there.

True enough. I was standing in the middle of the Fair trying to have a half-coherent thought and failing.

Thank you good sir.

tipphill said:

So you took Friday's performance as a negative ? I just don't see how anything we saw Friday could be viewed as anything but excitement? After what we witnessed the last 3 years, especially offensively, I would have thought even the most negative fans would be encouraged. Sure we left some points on the board, and our OL struggled opening up holes (even though Colgate totally sold out on the run all night) , but man we handled one of the better FCS programs in the country, and that's saying a lot if you look at how competitive a lot of FBS vs FCS games were.

Sure there is a long way to go before we look at this program as a serious threat in the ACC, but Friday was a damn good start.

So you took Friday's performance as a negative ? I just don't see how anything we saw Friday could be viewed as anything but excitement? After what we witnessed the last 3 years, especially offensively, I would have thought even the most negative fans would be encouraged. Sure we left some points on the board, and our OL struggled opening up holes (even though Colgate totally sold out on the run all night) , but man we handled one of the better FCS programs in the country, and that's saying a lot if you look at how competitive a lot of FBS vs FCS games were.

Sure there is a long way to go before we look at this program as a serious threat in the ACC, but Friday was a damn good start.
absolutely not all negative!!!! love the receivers,dungey, mo neal, game speed,few penalties,run defense,discipline, kicking game, and taking chances.
( paragraph for townie ;) )just a Major concern re oline opening holes,and some concern re pass coverage. i assume it all starts with the oline. dungey had 3-(4) sacs, had to scramble and rush his throws a few times.
i think there maybe subtle changes in oline, but this will be interesting.

absolutely not all negative!!!! love the receivers,dungey, mo neal, game speed,few penalties,run defense,discipline, kicking game, and taking chances.
( paragraph for townie ;) )just a Major concern re oline opening holes,and some concern re pass coverage. i assume it all starts with the oline. dungey had 3-(4) sacs, had to scramble and rush his throws a few times.
i think there maybe subtle changes in oline, but this will be interesting.
Louisville's QB got pressured quite a bit in their blowout of Charlotte. If you saw the game, or clips, you'll notice that Charlotte's defense pretty much attempted the same strategy that Colgate attempted. Unfortunately for Charlotte, it was Louisville, and Charlotte's not anywhere near as good as Colgate.

There's work to be done, for sure. There always is. And it's likely that Louisville wins on Friday. But Louisville is NOT gonna steamroll the @#$% out of us like last year.

Louisville's QB got pressured quite a bit in their blowout of Charlotte. If you saw the game, or clips, you'll notice that Charlotte's defense pretty much attempted the same strategy that Colgate attempted. Unfortunately for Charlotte, it was Louisville, and Charlotte's not anywhere near as good as Colgate.

There's work to be done, for sure. There always is. And it's likely that Louisville wins on Friday. But Louisville is NOT gonna steamroll the @#$% out of us like last year.
i will be at that game, i split 2 season tickets with my son in section 117 row e. he was at the colgate game. this game will be a real test of the speed which we can play at and maintain some efficiency and stamina. i am encouraged as well, and am anxious to see how we perform and what pre game and in game adjustments are made. i am not counting ville as loss yet, but they will test both o and d secondary significantly, providing a gauge of where we are. some of the tv gas bags say they are overrated .

i will be at that game, i split 2 season tickets with my son in section 117 row e. he was at the colgate game. this game will be a real test of the speed which we can play at and maintain some efficiency and stamina. i am encouraged as well, and am anxious to see how we perform and what pre game and in game adjustments are made. i am not counting ville as loss yet, but they will test both o and d secondary significantly, providing a gauge of where we are. some of the tv gas bags say they are overrated .

Actually I'm glad we started out with Colgate. Good enough team to greatly test of our new system. Im told HCDB knew that the game was over by early third quarter and went into meathead mode with run plays just to get enough of those plays on film as he's not satisfied with our OL blocking assignments and how slow our RBs are getting to the line allowing the D to close the gaps before our RBs can get to the second level. Lots of hesitation going on in the backfield.

And he also played like 60 guys - why? He needed all of his potential players to get on film and wanted lots of film on the run game just to use to teach and learn this week setting us up for Lville. Need the run game to work much better just to give a chance to beat Lville.

He could have easily run the score up to 50-7. That was not the point of this first game. There is so much work to be done yet. Still too many missed assignments on both sides of the ball. Correctable but it will take time. Go Orange.

as the game went on this is exactly what it felt like. the play calling changed and certain plays called that seemed a different rhythm. can they clean up the running game in one week is probably asking too much. can it get better though, you have to think so.

you watch that UL game and other than the QB they didnt really try to run much offense to work on anything, they just let the QB do what ever he wanted and scored. thats good for pts not so much for working on the rest of the offense. not an issue if he can do that against every team and maybe he can, he is pretty good.

I think the first three games are perfect: all at home, one against a team we are supposed to beat, one against a team we are supposed to lose to and one a toss-up. At the end of that stretch we'll have a pretty good idea of what we've got here.

After the first drive for a TD by Colgate , SU D was playing for keeps so the Colgate coach pulled back . Colgate is playing for an FCS title this year and there was nothing further to be gained by going toe to toe with Syracuse for a Pyrrhic victory and lose Melville for the season , or another important offensive starter . I think Villanova regretted letting Robertson take all that punishment as by the end of the seasons he was too injured to play in the playoffs .