Not worried.......yet | Syracusefan.com

Not worried.......yet

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Was concerned about the MTSU game preseason and said as much to those around me that I expected a very close game to the wire and would not be surprised with a loss. Was why I wasn't hardly distressed after the L as I was not surprised. Why? The GD Shafer factor.

Anyone who doesn't see how the emotional component contributed to this loss either doesn't know sports, hasn't played them, doesn't understand the psychology of athletes or a combination of all that. It was inevitable the confliction of wanting a good outcome for your well liked mentor former coach who recruited you and was like a father figure apparently to many of them, this while of course still wanting to win the game.

This must have been felt by most of the 39 players he recruited, the result being it throws you off your "A" game, losing a bit of your edge even if all of this plays out on an unconscious level. This will be mumbo jumble psychobabble to the meatheads but it has a very real effect. This as we saw on Saturday with the uneven play and mistake prone game played with very little to no intensity.

And despite all this, and essentially giving away the game in all the ways discussed elsewhere, the refs having a poor game, turnovers, the poor crowd, etc., yet we still had a shot to win the game. Babers was in a bad position with this situation and dr. Phil himself couldn't do anything to alter the reality of the circumstances.

Now all that said these somewhat vulnerable kids learned another valuable lesson from their old coach, that being when it comes to this game only the strong thrive and the conniving SOB took advantage of them, set them up for failure with his pregame greetings (should've been saved for post game), then disrespected them with his post game cigar theatrics showing what a selfish idiot he is at his core whose words of "caring about the kids" ring hollow overshadowed by his lowly actions, with them learning that when you get on that field before and during the game you put on your game face regardless of circumstance. Easier said then done at that age certainly.

People can poo poo this and minimize it all they want but with young people you can't take the emotion out if the game and in this instance it hurt us. But now in the next instance with CMU with the history and circumstance surrounding this game it it should be helpful. This is the same CMU with that ingrate Mitch Stanitzek that took one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen in football which could've ended Dungys career. If they don't come out firing on all cylinders motivated to the hilt and take it to this team, especially that punk cheap shot artist and give him an extra lick or two; if they don't bring it this game and look good doing it then I'll have concerns.

As it is I think we cover this week and win this one with us seeing a 180 degree opposite degree of emotion in this one. If not then color me concerned. Time to forget MTSU and remember this guy and this team:

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CPSTFShVAAAYGYK.mp4

This photo most clearly illustrates how dirty the hit on Dungey was
image.jpeg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Stanitzek not be be punished further

Last edited:
Shafer greeted them pre-game? Sorry but how was that even allowed? When did he get access? I am surprised that Dino allowed any interaction till maybe post-game if at all.

He was always good at playing the emotional hype to motivate - we had our share of personal penalties etc during his tenure also. You made some interesting points.

Cigar boy had another major advantage in addition to the psychological...He and his former staff recruited a number of the players on the field for Syracuse- and unfortunately many of these players are lacking in size, speed, ability and football IQ. In this regard, MTSU's victory corroborated the soundness of the decision to fire Shafer.

Shafer greeted them pre-game? Sorry but how was that even allowed? When did he get access? I am surprised that Dino allowed any interaction till maybe post-game if at all.

He was always good at playing the emotional hype to motivate - we had our share of personal penalties etc during his tenure also. You made some interesting points.
MTSU and SU were out on the field warming up. I think SU players went over to Shafer to greet him.

MTSU and SU were out on the field warming up. I think SU players went over to Shafer to greet him.

Hmm. Wonder how that went over with the current staff or if they just underestimated any emotions on both sides? I would think that's not where the players heads should have been pre-game. Wonder what the MTSU players thought of it? Just interesting.

Regardless onward and upward! Go SU!

No d
Hmm. Wonder how that went over with the current staff or if they just underestimated any emotions on both sides? I would think that's not where the players heads should have been pre-game. Wonder what the MTSU players thought of it? Just interesting.
no doubt, Babers was in a no win situation if he tried to stop Shafer and our guys from greeting each other with the result unfortunately getting into their heads. The MTSU players had the advantage of knowing how much Shafer wanted this game and thus where ready to go extra motivated. Our guys not so much from the confliction they had to be feeling . But whatever, rear view now, hopefully lesson learned with greater focus going forward. I'd imagine now that this frickin game has passed Babers won't let it be any other way.

Give me a break. These are student/athletes who saw their former teacher show up and they probably wanted to say hi, bro hug, etc. Guy let them into his house, was his family. It's called emotion. We didn't lose because of this mind you.

I think the answer to this lies in the next couple games. If the execution makes a 180 going forward I think this explanation holds a lot of water. Don't forget Shafer is a guy they carried off the field. This is a guy his players loved. Aside from whether you intimately knew his relationship with those 39 kids, there is no way to truly dismiss it. However if it doesn't improve, and we see this level of poor play persist.. It most definitely is far more than emotions.

Give me a break. These are student/athletes who saw their former teacher show up and they probably wanted to say hi, bro hug, etc. Guy let them into his house, was his family. It's called emotion. We didn't lose because of this mind you.

Shafer reminded them of reality - that they aren't his family, he has a new one and even brought out a victory cigar after the game to emphasize that fact. SS's emotion was to beat the heck out of them as it should have been and should have been our players too. He did teach them a valuable lesson.

Not worried about Babers or the O long term. But I am worried about the D. Last year was unacceptable. This year the D has played well thanks mainly to the DL. Can they keep that up all year? If they aren't getting pressure then we will get killed on D. IMO we won't know for sure if Ward can handle a D until after NC State.

Man I don't know if that a perfect analogy or not but that's a GREAT clip!

Last edited:

I disagree 10000%. Let's examine the facts:

1. Babers said it played a part; I know ppl pooh-pooh coaches in press conferences, but he gives it straight
2. The players themselves said it played a part; Dungey called SS a "defensive genius", Bennett said he thought about it way more than he thought he should, and Thomas near cried in response to a question about showing SS how he'd gotten better
3. So many mental lapses on O. So many drops. So many missed reads. All mental. Focus is tied to emotion.

So - probably chilling with SS was not a good idea.

I think the answer to this lies in the next couple games. If the execution makes a 180 going forward I think this explanation holds a lot of water. Don't forget Shafer is a guy they carried off the field. This is a guy his players loved. Aside from whether you intimately knew his relationship with those 39 kids, there is no way to truly dismiss it. However if it doesn't improve, and we see this level of poor play persist.. It most definitely is far more than emotions.
This is why I hate this LSU game. If we had say a Northwestern or Indiana type, I'd love to see how we rebound next Week and then the week after against a tough, but beatable opponent.

Instead, we have a borderline top 10 team, on the road, before we head into our SEC on steroids ACC schedule.

1. Babers said it played a part; I know ppl pooh-pooh coaches in press conferences, but he gives it straight
2. The players themselves said it played a part; Dungey called SS a "defensive genius", Bennett said he thought about it way more than he thought he should, and Thomas near cried in response to a question about showing SS how he'd gotten better
3. So many mental lapses on O. So many drops. So many missed reads. All mental. Focus is tied to emotion.

They are kids at the end of the day and are going to be victims of emotion. How you ring fence that against the guy who recruited you, let you into his house, dealt with issues that none of us ever knew about, etc. It's impossible situation that wasn't going to impact the game no matter what way they decided to handle it.

If I was Dino i'd have let the kids go see their former coach. He's a human too he gets it. Many of our kids probably had an eye on Florida too. They are people, not NFL players.

I'll criticize what i see on the field and the coaches coaching but never how a kid handles a specific real life situation.

one of my favorite movies, we're all just wormfood - **sobbing now**

Spot on my friend!
image.jpeg

They are kids at the end of the day and are going to be victims of emotion. How you ring fence that against the guy who recruited you, let you into his house, dealt with issues that none of us ever knew about, etc. It's impossible situation that wasn't going to impact the game no matter what way they decided to handle it.

If I was Dino i'd have let the kids go see their former coach. He's a human too he gets it. Many of our kids probably had an eye on Florida too. They are people, not NFL players.

I'll criticize what i see on the field and the coaches coaching but never how a kid handles a specific real life situation.

Yep. And given the other 14 games in the Babers era - it sticks out (hopefully).

It will be really, really interesting to see how they respond this week on O.

I agree - didn't hurt the hoop team when one of JB's old assistants come in (Rob Murphy). Kids process all this stuff with much less angst. They get over wins faster and losses, and I'm betting pre-game hugs with an old coach.

Regardless onward and upward! Go SU!
I think it goes straight to being ill prepared and pack of focus. Try that at Bama...

I agree - didn't hurt the hoop team when one of JB's old assistants come in (Rob Murphy). Kids process all this stuff with much less angst. They get over wins faster and losses, and I'm betting pre-game hugs with an old coach.

That's a bad analogy. SS was the HC who got fired, not an assistant who left for a better opportunity.

You can deny it if you want - but objectively, and from their own mouths - they said it played a part.

We're overthinking this. AET opened things up last year and made a pedestrian offense look occasionally explosive. How many times did Dungey just chuck it downfield and he made something out of nothing? It accounted for most of our big plays IIRC. Now we're back to playing horizontally because nobody can stretch the field or make YAC. We need talent upgrades at the skill positions. Going to be a long year.

That's a bad analogy. SS was the HC who got fired, not an assistant who left for a better opportunity.

You can deny it if you want - but objectively, and from their own mouths - they said it played a part.
They lost - what were they going to say? Built in excuse that doesn't wash, and deep down I think it didn't impact the kids, and they know it.

They lost - what were they going to say? Built in excuse that doesn't wash, and deep down I think it didn't impact the kids, and they know it.

BS. They had more incentive to say it didn't bother them (looks mentally weak, admit to being emotional, etc). The circumstantial evidence is pretty damning, too. Babers teams catch the ball. Dungey made perfect reads the week before.

The word "excuse" is a reason with the writers bias thrown in, IMO.

BS. They had more incentive to say it didn't bother them (looks mentally weak, admit to being emotional, etc). The circumstantial evidence is pretty damning, too. Babers teams catch the ball. Dungey made perfect reads the week before.

The word "excuse" is a reason with the writers bias thrown in, IMO.
I don't get this whole emotions concept. Are those that believe that is a contributing factor saying that the players didn't try hard because they did want to emotionally hurt FHCSS? So when the WR dropped a pass they were seeing SS crying in their minds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom