Notes From Last Night's Recruiting Briefing | Syracusefan.com

Notes From Last Night's Recruiting Briefing

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Not sure how ticket sales are doing but I can say that the crowd at the reception last night was the biggest I have seen for one of these things. Ever. The reception room was packed with people and it was hard to move around. The movers and shakers for the program are optimistic and visibly excited.

Contrast that to last year, when the attendance was about half. I think a bunch of people who liked Scott decided not to go then. My guess is there were 200 people there last night, and around 100-125 last year.

The event had the same format as in recent years. Reception for an hour or so, then everyone gets herded into the big team meeting room, which looks like a cross between a man cave and a small college auditorium, for a presentation on the new recruits. The team meeting room has been upgraded from last year. The seats are bigger and plusher, more of a Laz-y-Boy feel. And the tables in front of each seat are different; you don't just flip them up and down like in an auditorium. You lift and latch. They were nice and looked brand new.

John Wildhack arrived late. Looked uncomfortable working the room but was friendly and pleasant. Surprised he did not speak before the briefing started. Dr Gross always said a few words in past years and even Mark Coyle would have a speech ready.

The food was about the same as in past years. Chicken fingers with sesame seeds and three kinds of sauce. Mini beef wellington (I think it was beef, there wasn't a lot there). Shrimp with cocktail sauce. Various cheeses, crackers and veggies. Some mini quiche pies. And some mini dessert cakes. There was also an open bar I am happy to note was serving Schweppes ginger ale.

I think the whole coaching staff, sans Dino, was at the reception. I talked with Roy Wittke, the director of football operations at SU. He was a QB coach under Houston Nutt and the OC at EIU who developed Tony Romo. Really good guy and someone Dino Babers has keep on staff since day one at EIU.

The assistants mostly huddled together but a few were available for small talk. Good group, out going, friendly. Especially Sean Lewis. I got nothing from them other than they acknowledged they did not have the horses to compete in the ACC in 2016 and that they think this class, along with the one from last year, will serve as a strong foundation to build on.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed with the format of the event. They extended the time allocated for the reception and cut the time allocated for the briefing pretty dramatically. Other than a brief introduction by Sue Edson, the SU AD, only Dino spoke. He is a great speaker but the clips for each player were very short, and they played the intros everyone has seen from ex-Syracuse players, so Dino only said a sentence or two for each recruit.

Maybe I am different but to me, the best part of the event is the coaches breaking down the film, explaining why they like each player and what the development plans are for each. Years ago, the head coach would say something about each recruit, then introduce the assistant coach for the recruit (the positional coach for the recruit), and he would break the film down. And there would be a minute or so of film for each player. Maybe 90 seconds.

Going down to 8-10 seconds of film and commentary was a disappointment.
Coach Babers didn't say much. But I will post what I can remember.

Intro comments:

Thanks for coming. Thanks for supporting the program with your money and your time. No bologna cheese. I really appreciate you coming and being here. It means a lot to me.

We like this class a lot. They will bring a lot to Syracuse in terms of athletic skill but also in terms of academics. The GPA of this class is 3.1 something, the GPA of the previous class was 2.9 something.
This class and the class before will serve as the foundation for what we are building. We think it is a strong foundation and we are headed in the right direction.

Pierre:

We wanted a power back in this class and he fits the bill. Has a chance to play early.

Richards:

Might be the biggest and the fastest LB recruit in the class. We like him a lot and see his future at middle linebacker.

Stritzinger:

A speed back who can really run and make big plays. Like his hands and see him catching balls out of the backfield a lot.

Thompson-Bishop:

Basketball player, can get up and get the ball, like the other guy (Jordan). Fast and tough, has a chance to play early.

Trotter:

Really fast and athletic. Really well suited for our SAM-Nickel hybrid position. Will have a chance to play early.

Berry:

I like the way he gets after the quarterback. Tough too. Think he adds an ability to pressure the quarterback we have been lacking. He has a chance to get playing time early.

Coley:

A member of La Familia. Son of our DL coach, he committed early to us, as we were hoping he would. Very fast, one of the top players in NYS this year. Will play defense for us. We think he has a chance to be very good.

Dakota Davis:

He is what you call a road grader. The truck they put the giant plow on when it snows hard. He is a big, strong kid who can physically dominate who he is blocking. Gotta get him some syrup for all the pancakes.

Patrick Davis:

From Canada. The top OL from there. Another big, physical player. Already on campus. Smart, might move him to center because he can handle the blocking calls at that position.

Tommy DeVito:

When we saw him, he was a 2 star. We couldn't believe how good he was, how well he could throw it, the reads he was making. Targeted him early, was one of the first to commit, was a leader for the class from that point forward, was targeted by multiple SEC schools down the stretch but never wavered.

Elmore:

We will play him at fullback and H-back. Runs well, very physical blocker, provides that presence for our power run game we need for ACC play. We took 3 players who can play H-back or TE in this class, which will allow us to use large parts of our offense that we just had to mothball last season because we didn't have mobile TEs available to us.

Fagan:

Dino calls him Day Day. Said he tackles very well and is a fierce competitor. Compared him to Ray Lewis. You could see Dino likes him. A lot.

Guthrie:

Very fast and when he gets somewhere, he is usually in a bad mood. Will play outside linebacker for us.

Hackett:

Out of our 3 TE recruits, Aaron is the only one that can do all three things we are looking for at that position. Physical, can catch and has the speed to stretch the field. Will probably play early for us.

Harper:

Very strong. Tough. Has the quickness to pressure the QB too. Has the potential to play early for us.

Nykeim Johnson:

Out of the DC area. The smallest in the class. The fastest in the class. He can put the G-O in go! Really dangerous player who will make big plays for us.

Sharod Johnson:

Very fast, can make people miss in space, which we need. Another big play guy, will play in the slot for us.

Kingsley:

Another guy who can get to the quarterback. Really athletic and tough. Has a chance to play right away.

Jordan:

One of the top players from NYS, out of Long Island. Cam is a basketball player. Really long, really good getting balls in the air. Will play on the outside and has a chance to play early.

Melifonwu:

Noted that SU had to fight off another school late (I knew we were okay when he called me in the morning and said 'I am good, go Cuse!'). Really good athlete. Could play CB, safety, WR or even RB for us. Might play two ways. Going to keep options open with him for now.

Morton:

Athletic player. Very agile and hostile. Will help us get to the QB, something we need to do better.

Pierce:

1st team JUCO AA. Will help transform the offense with his ability to make big plays at TE. Will be tough to match up against for defenses. Very fast and talented.

Finally, Chris Gedney walked around the room and got questions from the crowd for Dino.

How do you like Syracuse?

I love it here. It is kind of a small city or a big town. I really like going from downtown to the country so quickly. My family loves it here and so do I.

Will Hunter:

How can I as a former player help you? Can I help you recruit? Am I allowed to come back? A lot of us would like to help if we can...

When I started here, a lot, and I mean a lot of former SU players approached me and wanted to come back and help. I told them all no. Told them I needed one year without those distractions. Got a lot of stink eye. You know what stink eye is? Not good. Anyway, the answer is yes, with limits. You can come during the spring anytime. You can come during two a days in the fall. Absolutely, we will welcome you with open arms. But the thing that happened with Wake makes it tough. Have to have limits. I am paranoid. Hell, all coaches are. We are a paranoid bunch and we worry about that kind of thing happening to us. So yeah, you are welcome.

Consigliere:

There are a number of open scholarships. Do you plan to fill them? If so, are you targeting certain positions?

Great question. We don't target certain positions or certain players. We might take a transfer if the fit is right. If the player has the right makeup and the right academics, and would help us. Like AET for instance. But it is like the NFL draft. We would be looking for the best available player, not targeting specific positions. If we can't fill the spots, no problem. We can hold them and each them in the class for next year.

Has the new IPF helped recruiting?

Lots of joking between Cliff Ensley, Dino Babers and friends of Cliff's. Cliff said he wanted his name on the building so in a couple of years, he can look there and remember who he is. Eventually Dino said it is the best IPF he has seen in 30 years and it has helped the program out a lot. Huge help. Many thanks to Cliff, everyone please give him a hand. (Everyone clapped for Cliff).

Can Tommy DeVito make an immediate impact?

He doesn't even know the plays yet. Like I said at the press conference, show up, be a good teammate and let's see what happens. That is all you can do and that is what I told Tommy to do.

So I was prepared to fill in the blanks here but as usual, you didn't leave many, sutomcat ! This is the first time I was able to attend this event. I'm usually on the road somewhere but the stars aligned this time.

Dino did make it into the reception for the last 15 minutes or so. Had a chance to say hello and mentioned the summer road trip and his visit to Binghamton. I played a small part in that visit and though I missed it due to a trip to Brazil I made sure Ed Koban and Sonny Spera were included. Dino said they had a great time but Brazil was probably better than Binghamton. Talked to Kim Keenan-Kirkpatrick, the Senior Administrator for womens' sports a bit too. She says watch out for Coach Q's team. Feels they are really starting to come together. Also met Anthony DiFino, the Assistant A.D. for Business Development. Expect to see many more fan-focused initiatives and a strong objective to bring the "fun" back to the Dome.

Dino was very positive addressing each of the incoming recruits but his excitement visibly went up a notch when talking about Pierce, who he said would bring the TE position back to Cuse football and especially "Day Day" Fagan.

Was a bit put off that he asked for a round of applause for a question asked by a young fan, but not for mine! In my question I asked about potential for transfers to fill the remaining spots noting we seemed to do ok with a couple of grad transfers this past season. tomcat captured his response well and I followed up by noting that we had the ND DB in the fold. I'm guessing Dino may have just heard about Williams, who apparently signed during the event since he gave me a look like "How did you know that!" but then realized I was talking about Butler and confirmed that yes, he is onboard and ready to go.

Had to drag Mrs. C along for the drive up from Bingo but she enjoyed the event thoroughly and asked if she would be able to come next year even if I can't!

Last edited:
When I started here, a lot, and I mean a lot of former SU players approached me and wanted to come back and help. I told them all no. Told them I needed one year without those distractions. Got a lot of stink eye. You know what stink eye is? Not good. Anyway, the answer is yes, with limits. You can come during the spring anytime. You can come during two a days in the fall. Absolutely, we will welcome you with open arms. But the thing that happened with Wake makes it tough. Have to have limits. I am paranoid. Hell, all coaches are. We are a paranoid bunch and we worry about that kind of thing happening to us. So yeah, you are welcome.

Great writeup as ever Tom. Anyone else a little surprised by this part? I mean, I knew he was paranoid, but thought that was directed more toward the press. Also could see other reasons why ex-players might be a distraction. But I wouldn't have thought that extended to information-security issues.

"Thanks for coming. Thanks for supporting the program with your money and your time. No bologna cheese. I really appreciate you coming and being here. It means a lot to me."

Shots fired at Marrone

Thank you for this you guys. Very optimistic to hear the comments and insight like this. Very surprised and encouraged that he sees the opportunity for so many in this class to play early.

Has the new IPF helped recruiting?

Lots of joking between Cliff Ensley, Dino Babers and friends of Cliff's. Cliff said he wanted his name on the building so in a couple of years, he can look there and remember who he is. Eventually Dino said it is the best IPF he has seen in 30 years and it has helped the program out a lot. Huge help.
Nobody tried to ask if they had any inside scoop on the Dome renovations or what they are telling the recruits in this regard?

One other highlight - when introducing Eric Coley Dino mentioned his two way talent. Said "In one game he had - what was it - 5 or 6 touchdowns?" Susan Babers chimed in "It was 7 coach."
I met a guy last weekend with a guy who coaches at a big time Ohio HS program and used to work with a DIII school. He told me he talked to Babers and his wife for about half an hour at a coaching convention once. Mrs. Babers apparently towers over her husband and looks much more athletic. Also, incredibly friendly.

I'm really glad they are having this event again. It's a nice perk for the donors. That's too bad about the player comments though. I remember when you used to recap these several years ago and it seemed really interested what the coaches said. Maybe next year after they have one year experience of doing it, they will make some improvements hopefully.

So I was prepared to fill in the blanks here but as usual, you didn't leave many, sutomcat ! This is the first time I was able to attend this event. I'm usually on the road somewhere but the stars aligned this time.

Dino did make it into the reception for the last 15 minutes or so. Had a chance to say hello and mentioned the summer road trip and his visit to Binghamton. I played a small part in that visit and though I missed it due to a trip to Brazil I made sure Ed Koban and Sonny Spera were included. Dino said they had a great time but Brazil was probably better than Binghamton. Talked to Kim Keenan-Kirkpatrick, the Senior Administrator for womens' sports a bit too. She says watch out for Coach Q's team. Feels they are really starting to come together. Also met Anthony DiFino, the Assistant A.D. for Business Development. Expect to see many more fan-focused initiatives and a strong objective to bring the "fun" back to the Dome.

Dino was very positive addressing each of the incoming recruits but his excitement visibly went up a notch when talking about Pierce, who he said would bring the TE position back to Cuse football and especially "Day Day" Fagan.

Was a bit put off that he asked for a round of applause for a question asked by a young fan, but not for mine! In my question I asked about potential for transfers to fill the remaining spots noting we seemed to do ok with a couple of grad transfers this past season. tomcat captured his response well and I followed up by noting that we had the ND DB in the fold. I'm guessing Dino may have just heard about Williams, who apparently signed during the event since he gave me a look like "How did you know that!" but then realized I was talking about Butler and confirmed that yes, he is onboard and ready to go.

Had to drag Mrs. C along for the drive up from Bingo but she enjoyed the event thoroughly and asked if she would be able to come next year even if I can't!

We'll be a lot closer to town in a few months, I can get Mrs. C up the road if you're on the road again next year!

Nobody tried to ask if they had any inside scoop on the Dome renovations or what they are telling the recruits in this regard?
The people I asked all said they had no inside info. I think the university does a lot better job keeping things on the down low with the relatively new management.

marrone was probably a dik about it. Dino seems like a better communicator. maybe that's why he didn't get lambasted for it.

Very true, dino and staff were playing catch up from the get go last year with recruiting and then implementation of the system. He wanted all energies directed appropriately. Did the right thing and glad he will start welcoming ex players, they can be great ambassadors.

Very true, dino and staff were playing catch up from the get go last year with recruiting and then implementation of the system. He wanted all energies directed appropriately. Did the right thing and glad he will start welcoming ex players, they can be great ambassadors.

LOL, same thing Marrone did, Marrone came in with weeks before signing day roughly.

marrone was probably a dik about it. Dino seems like a better communicator. maybe that's why he didn't get lambasted for it.

I'm sure he did come off like that but from the way I'm reading what HCDB said about it, the former players didn't seem to like that idea coming from him either.

LOL, same thing Marrone did, Marrone came in with weeks before signing day roughly.

It was more than a one year hiatus and they made it known at the time the Marrone was being a turd.

It was more than a one year hiatus and they made it known at the time the Marrone was being a turd.

Ok. So how does this add to the conversation?

The people I asked all said they had no inside info. I think the university does a lot better job keeping things on the down low with the relatively new management.
They wouldn't keep it on the down low unless plans were being scaled back, no?

They wouldn't keep it on the down low unless plans were being scaled back, no?
If they changed gears and decided to just replace the roof with another teflon covered Kevlar roof, that would simplify things greatly and would speed the process.

I think they are keeping things on the down low regardless.

"Thanks for coming. Thanks for supporting the program with your money and your time. No bologna cheese. I really appreciate you coming and being here. It means a lot to me."

Shots fired at Marrone
I don't think it was related to Marrone. "Bologna cheese" is his clean term for bullshi*. I have heard him say it before.

I don't think it was related to Marrone. "Bologna cheese" is his clean term for bullshi*. I have heard him say it before.

yes sir I know. I was kidding

Ok. So how does this add to the conversation?

I have no idea. You've drawn the comparison, I'm just pointing out the differences in the two approaches.

Also of note, Babers has said "give me a year" while Marrone was pretty much turning everyone away after 3.

HAAAAMBURGER.

hqdefault.jpg

Great writeup as ever Tom. Anyone else a little surprised by this part? I mean, I knew he was paranoid, but thought that was directed more toward the press. Also could see other reasons why ex-players might be a distraction. But I wouldn't have thought that extended to information-security issues.

Yeah... not really a fan of that response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom