Notes From Last Night's Recruiting Briefing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Notes From Last Night's Recruiting Briefing

Yeah... not really a fan of that response.

why ?

frankly i think it's just something he can use as a excuse.

the bottom line for me is alum should be able to stop in an check things out, watch a practice. i don't think he wants to be inundated with former players in the locker rooms and on the practice fields 24/7, Its a distraction.

I have no idea. You've drawn the comparison, I'm just pointing out the differences in the two approaches.

Also of note, Babers has said "give me a year" while Marrone was pretty much turning everyone away after 3.

Ok. Not sure why you take so many things as a slight against HCDB. We don't know that Babers is going to drastically change his tune and Marrone wasn't turning all former players away in year 3. A couple former players whined and that became the narrative.

Ok. Not sure why you take so many things as a slight against HCDB. We don't know that Babers is going to drastically change his tune and Marrone wasn't turning all former players away in year 3. A couple former players whined and that became the narrative.

I didn't take it as a slight against Babers - I took it as a false comparison that needed correcting.

Also this from the OP:

"When I started here, a lot, and I mean a lot of former SU players approached me and wanted to come back and help. I told them all no. Told them I needed one year without those distractions. Got a lot of stink eye. You know what stink eye is? Not good. Anyway, the answer is yes, with limits. You can come during the spring anytime. You can come during two a days in the fall. Absolutely, we will welcome you with open arms. But the thing that happened with Wake makes it tough. Have to have limits. I am paranoid. Hell, all coaches are. We are a paranoid bunch and we worry about that kind of thing happening to us. So yeah, you are welcome."

Here's a link to the former players take on Marrone from 2012.

Seems to me like Babers is about to be a whole lot more welcoming in year 2 (plus the former players welcoming the new recruits on twitter/video imply this as well) than Marrone was - at least to those 4 players in his 4th season.

I didn't take it as a slight against Babers - I took it as a false comparison that needed correcting.

Only you took it as a comparison that needed further discussion.

But thanks for providing your opinion on the topic.

Only you took it as a comparison that needed further discussion.

But thanks for providing your opinion on the topic.

Sure. Wasn't really an opinion, but I'm cool with putting the whole thing to bed.

I'm just glad former players feel welcome around the program. I also completely understand the stand both coaches made - it's probably a lot trickier than most fans think.

Man, you guys are in a super tough position on that former players front. On one hand, you have a ton of great history, and legendary players in your legacy.

On the other hand, you've got about what, fifteen years of a losing culture that I'm sure Babers wants to distance himself from in every way. I'm sure he would love to be able to leverage Dwight Freeney in the program, but on the other hand, I'm sure he doesn't want some backup fullback from 2007 pulling his ear about they way they used to do it back in the day.

I don't envy the fine line he's got to try to walk there.

Sure. Wasn't really an opinion, but I'm cool with putting the whole thing to bed.

I'm just glad former players feel welcome around the program. I also completely understand the stand both coaches made - it's probably a lot trickier than most fans think.

It was an opinion because you're wrong. HCDB said they can attend but with limits. Maybe different in application than Marrone but both wanted to control access to the program by the former players.

"Anyway, the answer is yes, with limits. You can come during the spring anytime. You can come during two a days in the fall. Absolutely, we will welcome you with open arms. But the thing that happened with Wake makes it tough. Have to have limits"

The people I asked all said they had no inside info. I think the university does a lot better job keeping things on the down low with the relatively new management.

Supposedly up to 1/2 of matching money was coming from NYS until the COR disaster...including SU ties to COR adding to the problem. Until the federal investigation is over, Coumo cannot arbitrarily donate NYS funds like he used to. Unfortunately project is dead until further notice.

Supposedly up to 1/2 of matching money was coming from NYS until the COR disaster...including SU ties to COR adding to the problem. Until the federal investigation is over, Coumo cannot arbitrarily donate NYS funds like he used to. Unfortunately project is dead until further notice.

Sadly makes too much sense. Ouch.

I remember when Marrone was lambasted for not wanting former players to be a distraction.

didn't he kick Nunes out because Troy was trying to be an agent and trolling for clients?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom