Notre Dame Game... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game...

Face-offs and ground balls continue to be critical. The defense and goalie are ALWAYS under pressure to add to whatever they are doing wrong. It is also tough to get offense in rhythm but our offense is sloppy at critical times.
Looking for POSITIVES, Savage may be important going forward and coaches need to have MAJOR WAKE-UP CALL to evaluate personnel and systems. Better to implode now than later!
Groudballs 45-20 ND.

FOs, we won 9 of 32 an it felt worse than that.

Man...

Really bad loss. On the players 100% . Bad decisions, rushed takes , no attention to detail , horrible off ball play ..gut check time - team personality is a mystery ..

Well, that was frustrating. Syracuse not as bad as this game showed today, but they have a lot of work to do. Face off is the main concern and I’m not sure how you address that mid season. Most teams won’t be as good as ND but the ACC is loaded at that position (and Syracuse has to play Notre Dame again, in South Bend). Not sure what is going on with Phaup, he looks like his own worst enemy. Didn’t even challenge on most draws, then was arguing not getting a violation while the ND fogo raced by him. Not sure I’ve seen that before. I think SU’s best bet is for him to be the guy, but he’s got to get his head straight.

Hard to find something more frustrating than the faceoffs, but the defense was just awful. How many times did ND feed the ball inside and score? How many times did the defense unnecessarily slide and leave someone on the crease wide open? On the flip side how many times did they leave a short stick on an island with no help? Just flabbergasted with how bad they were today. Notre Dame hardly had to do anything at all, Syracuse might as well have been shooting in their own net. Horrendous.

Didn't see much energy from Cuse as the game wore on.
Wasn't Porter's best game but he did get 11 saves and ND had 4 man-up goals.
Cuse was outshot 47-34. GB's were 45-20!!
Coaches need to do a BIG reset - playing Albany may be what's needed to build confidence but...will need to address just about everything.

Well, that was frustrating. Syracuse not as bad as this game showed today, but they have a lot of work to do. Face off is the main concern and I’m not sure how you address that mid season. Most teams won’t be as good as ND but the ACC is loaded at that position (and Syracuse has to play Notre Dame again, in South Bend). Not sure what is going on with Phaup, he looks like his own worst enemy. Didn’t even challenge on most draws, then was arguing not getting a violation while the ND fogo raced by him. Not sure I’ve seen that before. I think SU’s best bet is for him to be the guy, but he’s got to get his head straight.

Hard to find something more frustrating than the faceoffs, but the defense was just awful. How many times did ND feed the ball inside and score? How many times did the defense unnecessarily slide and leave someone on the crease wide open? On the flip side how many times did they leave a short stick on an island with no help? Just flabbergasted with how bad they were today. Notre Dame hardly had to do anything at all, Syracuse might as well have been shooting in their own net. Horrendous.

Defensively were not that good and at the X right now Phaup and Varello are below average Fogos who have been dusted by the elite X guys. We're in a bad way right now and failure to make a depe run may cost Desko his job

Agree. In fairness, the D must have felt like they never could relax after the 1st quarter. It's like a football defense being worn down by lack of possessions. But clearly they were struggling.

Agree. In fairness, the D must have felt like they never could relax after the 1st quarter. It's like a football defense being worn down by lack of possessions. But clearly they were struggling.
This is what's so frustrating about lacrosse. In football, the receiving team gets the kickoff (unless they fumble) after points scored. Face-offs are disproportionally huge.

A few statements and generalizations here could benefit from a ESPN reWatch including myself. Maybe someone who understands face-off technique and schemes could assess. Gonna watch where ball placed and results of any ensuing scrums before commenting on wing play.

Savage showed potential, has ability to exit. Bit surprised switch to Varello wasn't sooner this week. Porter had a good 1q continuing a good stretch of goaltending but eventually odds catch up to any goalie however good, might have been healthy to be relieved . Goal seconds before half hurt as did some others including ND man ups that stunted any momentum. D clearly gassed by fourth but some reactions and movements early in game were too unwise or slow. Most refs calls correct but some wrong for both. Clean ontact should be allowed in sports. ND capitalized, their man up is very good. On offense, Cuse took some low percentage shots that assisted ND , didnt feel we executed as well as we could have . That and time of possession did more to hold back offense than ND defense. Thought Refhuss and Seebold played well again latter's play should earn more p/tr.

This is what's so frustrating about lacrosse. In football, the receiving team gets the kickoff (unless they fumble) after points scored. Face-offs are disproportionally huge.
Face-offs may be disproportionately huge, but they are so on both sides of the field. You have to get 50% of the face-offs or you are behind the eight ball. Why other teams can do this, despite the new rules, and SU can't, is a question for Desko.

As much as I am steaming frothing at the mouth angry at how the face off rules have changed for no good reason and now we have gone from being good at the x to terrible, there is no point still complaining about it. It is adapt or die with no time for crying about it. At this point that Phaup got a 2nd faceoff violation on leaning in before the whistle is unacceptable. He knows we cant afford that and it is completely in his control not to do that. Another 2nd quarter where we play scared at the x and give up a run due in part to D fatigue (although the D also just sucked in general).

Also it is completely unacceptable by the staff that we don't prepare for a potential fast break from the other team at the x. They win one out the front and score, then they do it twice more as the game goes on and no adjustment? No wing lined up far down the line to prevent the fast break? Adapt to the change! These were preventable things on both the players at the x and the staff. And then this sitting on Savage is going to look dumb as hell since he put up the biggest fight and could have clearly been used in the crazy close duke game. I mean wt f?? We can turn this around but damn what a terrible day.

Defensively were not that good and at the X right now Phaup and Varello are below average Fogos who have been dusted by the elite X guys. We're in a bad way right now and failure to make a depe run may cost Desko his job
You keep saying it, but I just don't see it.

At least after this year...

It dawned on me today that we may have new head coaches in football, basketball and lacrosse in another year. I’ll leave the room now.

We’re not even guaranteed a tourney berth yet. Bigger issues.

Not to be dismissive of Albany but two weeks to figure it out before UNC assault

It dawned on me today that we may have new head coaches in football, basketball and lacrosse in another year. I’ll leave the room now.

1617478831230.png

As much as I am steaming frothing at the mouth angry at how the face off rules have changed for no good reason and now we have gone from being good at the x to terrible, there is no point still complaining about it. It is adapt or die with no time for crying about it. At this point that Phaup got a 2nd faceoff violation on leaning in before the whistle is unacceptable. He knows we cant afford that and it is completely in his control not to do that. Another 2nd quarter where we play scared at the x and give up a run due in part to D fatigue (although the D also just sucked in general).

Also it is completely unacceptable by the staff that we don't prepare for a potential fast break from the other team at the x. They win one out the front and score, then they do it twice more as the game goes on and no adjustment? No wing lined up far down the line to prevent the fast break? Adapt to the change! These were preventable things on both the players at the x and the staff. And then this sitting on Savage is going to look dumb as hell since he put up the biggest fight and could have clearly been used in the crazy close duke game. I mean wt f?? We can turn this around but damn what a terrible day
I hate to rip players, but the defense was terrible on a couple of fast breaks. I think it happened twice where the ND point man caught the ball right handed and was able to switch to his natural left hand and still have time to plant his feet and score. That should never happen. I thought Kavanaugh was outstanding and his passes were incredible. There nothing you can do on a lot of those assisted goals, but there were way too many times that ND was able to set their feet and rip shots.

With respect, I don't think is remotely helpful for anyone. These are college kids who have been in lockdown and just lost a heartbreaker to Duke. The pressure on this team is enormous.
They have the rest of the season to figure things out and step up. Post-mortems should be saved for the end of the season. The coaches must bear some responsibility for this - how much who knows.

Right now I think Phuaps issues are all in his head, and at least for this week and last I think it's because he picked up the violations quick. The only other game he really struggled was Vermont. Yeah wing play hasn't been great but I think he's just psyching himself out too much, getting those early violations, and just not recovering from it. Some of it is also how the ref wants to call it. At this point I'd almost rather watch two FOGOs wrestling for the ball for 15-20 seconds than having a ref call a violation because he thinks one guy leaned too much getting set.

Defense just a hot mess. They did great that first quarter forcing shot clock violations and turnovers. Then it's like they got excited and forgot how to play. A lot of the mental mistakes keep popping up and it won't get you far if they don't get cleaned up.

Now the games against Albany and Utah have become must wins because I don't have faith they'll get a win against Carolina or round two against the Irish after what Kavanaugh did to them today. Virginia still a toss up game but it definitely won't be a ten goal win again.

they wilted at the first sign of adversity, just as they did with
David Quinn stawilized a NYR team that let up two goals in the first 5 minutes to then go on to score ŵ5 uwnanswered.

I've yet to see anyone give him one ounce of credit for last night's win.

The man was double shifting Kaapo Kakko.

I said in this thread, when it was 6-5, that this was Army redux. Defense looked confused, Porter looked shaky. I was wrong - this was probably worse than Army
Face off is killing this team and porter had a bad day. Enough with constant match up offense - it looks like a HS offense at times. So much for the best midfield. Way too many poor shots when you are down and can't win faceoffs. Wings are non existent. Defense is a mess with slide decisions.

Rehfuss continues to impress. Wish Curry would do more, even with the pole on him but there are lots of chefs in the kitchen. Gonna need a late season awakening. Final 4 teams rarely get blown out multiple times in a season, especially at home.

Right now I think Phuaps issues are all in his head, and at least for this week and last I think it's because he picked up the violations quick. The only other game he really struggled was Vermont. Yeah wing play hasn't been great but I think he's just psyching himself out too much, getting those early violations, and just not recovering from it. Some of it is also how the ref wants to call it. At this point I'd almost rather watch two FOGOs wrestling for the ball for 15-20 seconds than having a ref call a violation because he thinks one guy leaned too much getting set.

Defense just a hot mess. They did great that first quarter forcing shot clock violations and turnovers. Then it's like they got excited and forgot how to play. A lot of the mental mistakes keep popping up and it won't get you far if they don't get cleaned up.

Now the games against Albany and Utah have become must wins because I don't have faith they'll get a win against Carolina or round two against the Irish after what Kavanaugh did to them today. Virginia still a toss up game but it definitely won't be a ten goal win again.
I think Brett Kennedy presser really summed it up - outhustled from the 2nd quarter on with lack of possessions. Hustle is about the only thing that can helpoffset loss of possessions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom