Notre Dame Gameday... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Gameday...

Defense could have gotten stops and therefore given themselves rest. Unfortunately they wilted. Face-offs are a big part of why this team can't get over the hump but again, you have to be solid in other areas in order to be a top team. Syracuse isn't there on the defensive end yet.
No I get what ur saying but it is tough losing every face off and being on D for a whole Q. Especially the fact the D isn't there yet so like I said it's hard enough for them to make stops while being fresh so when there out there for long stretches due to lack of possessions there sucking wind and a step slower. I do think the D would be a lot better if they had Fig and Clary. Fig was lost for season so ok but then losing Clary hurt them big time. Wasn't Sageder covering Dobson a lot ? I mean asking him a freshman to cover that Beast is asking a lot. I doubt he's physically able to cover him. I was at the game and Petro was screaming at him but I remember thinking to myself cmonn coach ur asking this kid to do something he's not physically capable of. Well at least not right now as a freshman.

The fatigue stems from the face offs in that run without question though. Wilted makes it sounds like they gave up. Each and every one of those goals late they were grinding like hell to stay with their match ups. They fought them off for nearly a whole possession and then had a BS loose ball push called on them to give ND a full clock. Mark let in a soft low angle one on Westlin when the coverage was pretty good. Not the best game from him either. The D held them to 1 goal for almost two quarters before that. They were playing pretty well. What changed was them getting literally no breaks late due to faceoffs. That combined with fatigue from our lack of depth. I maintain we are really damn close this year and could still make a splash.
I agree the D was pretty solid for 3 Q's which is pretty impressive agajnst such a talented offense. Once ND starting winning every face off they broke down due to fatigue.

Hopkins has an edge on us but I maintain they are not on some massively different level than us this year. They have not beaten a team recently that is on the level of a Duke MD or ND, unless this Michigan MD win is a great awakening for the program, which I doubt. Rutgers just lost to an OSU team that got crushed by Penn State. Our one mutual opponent we both lost (UNC). It was a very close game in the dome.

If we played Navy Delaware Michigan Rutgers in this last stretch of games how do you think we fair? I would say we do pretty darn well, but probably choke one of the 4 away late, as our 4th quarter performances have been so disappointing this year. Those teams are a level below the teams we are losing to, and i'm sure various stats back that up. I really think I am being objective here. This isn't some anti-Hopkins tirade. I actually like Milliman as a coach and I think he was a great hire. Respect him for making the change at offensive coordinator so quickly and I like the direction he has taken their recruiting. They are older and more experienced than us and it showed late. But we are not that far off them this year. Would be impressed if they keep their win streak going with a win on the road against a hot Penn State team (who thought we would be saying that??)
Hopkins goalie also had a career day against us. Yes so did Mark against Duke but Duke is number 1 in the country. If Marcile wasn't on fire stopping everything then SU wins that game. I don't think Hopkins is more talented. It was actually a good game but SU had trouble beating him he was in a zone,

Hopkins goalie also had a career day against us. Yes so did Mark against Duke but Duke is number 1 in the country. If Marcile wasn't on fire stopping everything then SU wins that game. I don't think Hopkins is more talented. It was actually a good game but SU had trouble beating him he was in a zone,
Goalie is a part of the game and they won fair and square. I just look at that game and don't see a team that is at a far lower level than the other. They haven't had a real chance to prove that they are at a higher level in this last stretch. That changes with Penn State and MD. Fortunately we still have some chances to prove our worth too.

Goalie is a part of the game and they won fair and square. I just look at that game and don't see a team that is at a far lower level than the other. They haven't had a real chance to prove that they are at a higher level in this last stretch. That changes with Penn State and MD. Fortunately we still have some chances to prove our worth too.
No I agree I say the same with Will Mark when guys say SU wouldn't have went to OT with Duke if not for Mark. Well he's the goalie. Hopkins won fair and square but I just meant I don't think they are more talented. SU could have won if he wasn't on fire but he was that day and they won. There not more talented I don't think tho. I think SU is more talented but Hopkins is just more experienced.

No I agree I say the same with Will Mark when guys say SU wouldn't have went to OT with Duke if not for Mark. Well he's the goalie. Hopkins won fair and square but I just meant I don't think they are more talented. SU could have won if he wasn't on fire but he was that day and they won. There not more talented I don't think tho. I think SU is more talented but Hopkins is just more experienced.
They have more talent and depth on defense and the middle of the field. Would love if we had a guy like Hunter Jaronski on this team. There is enough depth of above average talent in their offense where someone is going to do some damage on any given day. Also hard to deny the coaching abilities of Milliman. They have come out on top in nearly all their close games this year. I think they are a good team... I just think we are too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom