Notre Dame to vacate wins... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame to vacate wins...

Does anyone actually give any kind of about vacated wins? I guess it stinks that we won't get to "officially" celebrate Jims 1000th but there will be a celebration. I was damn excited and celebrated all of the wins that now don't exist and don't care whatsoever. I doubt that USC fans have Eternal Sunshined all of their celebrations of Reggie Bush winning the Heisman and a zillion games.

Amazing that the NCAA will hammer down on a legendary football team like Notre Dame but completely ignore and protect Kentucky basketball.

sein2.jpg

It's ridiculous that the athletic trainer gets a two year show cause for trying to help a few kids out. Her career in sports is essentially over, and she ends up being a scapegoat here. F Brian Kelly.

ND self reported where many other schools would have covered it up and swept it under the rug, in my opinion.

Why did they self report? ND is overly concerned with its image.

The NCAA is coming down hard on a school with annual great grad rates across the board and a history of self booting anyone who is caught doing anything even in the ballpark of academic cheating. So it goes, I guess.
just stop it. maybe it had something to do with the kid that was killed in the lift making a video?

Syracuse appeals = harsher look and bigger hammer
ND appeals = omg, we are so sorry - here's an extra scholarship or 10 and a special set of get out of jail free cards (sorry about the UNC logo on them - we mass produce them)

I am not a fan of Notre Dame by any measure but I think they got boned here.

The thing is, the NCAA has no say in academic matters. None. That is something the member schools handle. If a school finds a problem and addresses it, the matter is closed. Letting the NCAA know as a courtesy is fine but as far as I am concerned, it isn't even needed if the matter was completely related to academics.

The NCAA has jurisdiction over matters related to recruiting violations, improper benefits, etc. They have no say on academics.

The NCAA has decided it doesn't like this limitation so they ignore their bylaws and just announce that academic related issues are now in its wheelhouse because they are improper benefits.

No. The NCAA is just as wrong interfering in the academic affairs of Notre Dame as they were interfering in the academic affairs of Syracuse. You have an incompetent organization filled with bias and personal vendettas recklessing ignoring their own bylaws to try and justify their existence.

This is just another nail in the coffin for an organization that is near death and needs to be put out of its misery ASAP. I am glad they did this to ND. Hopefully the straw that breaks the camel's back is near.

This is just another nail in the coffin for an organization that is near death and needs to be put out of its misery ASAP. I am glad they did this to ND. Hopefully the straw that breaks the camel's back is near.

My cue to say 'be careful what you wish for.'

Imperfect (to say the least) as it is, the NCAA era will probably turn out to have been a lot more favorable to Syracuse than whatever land grant school conglomerate alternative that succeeds it...

The NCAA has jurisdiction over matters related to recruiting violations, improper benefits, etc. They have no say on academics.
They do if what happened constitutes an impermissible benefit or results in an otherwise ineligible player being made eligible. That's where UNC is open to being hammered, because the courses were admittedly designed to keep players on the team who would have been forced to sit out because of bad grades. While they could still skate by untouched in anything resembling a significant manner, there are a lot of subtle signals being thrown around that say they are going to get hammered, losing multiple schollies, post-seasons, and for men's bball, a banner.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it seems that the NCAA is giving private schools disproportionately harsh punishments compared to the state schools.

Been meaning to comment on this. Should be interesting to compare in the future. Helps a lot having your state covering your back.

The thing is, the NCAA has no say in academic matters. None. That is something the member schools handle. If a school finds a problem and addresses it, the matter is closed. Letting the NCAA know as a courtesy is fine but as far as I am concerned, it isn't even needed if the matter was completely related to academics.

Serious question - Isn't a school official providing help with a paper or creating a a bogus class (all to help keep athletes eligible) the definition of an improper benefit?

If UNC gets off because the classes were available to all students therefore permissible, should SUAD support personnel write papers for all students?

This stuff drives me crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom