Notre Dame's five game ACC slate | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame's five game ACC slate

domestu

Scout Team
Notre Dame has a long-running rivalry with Pitt and BC has been a fixture on their schedule since the 1980s. Anyone who believes the Irish are going start playing every school in the ACC in some sort of round-robin schedule needs to think a little more about this.

Notre Dame is going to have to drop some of their longtime midwestern rivals to meet their commitment to play five ACC schools every year but I wouldn't expect them to also end the Pitt or BC series. A couple of years ago Notre Dame agreed to play three Big East schools every season but that didn't keep them from signing a new ten-game deal in 2010 with Boston College.

If you include future member Pittsburgh, the Irish played four ACC schools last year and have four on their schedule this fall. Notre Dame is not joining the conference for football and they are going to have a lot of freedom about which teams they want to schedule. And you can bet that they aren't going to let go of the Boston market.

One thing is clear. Every ACC team is not going to be playing Notre Dame at least once every three years.

If that's what the contract says, that's what they'll do. Otherwise no bowls for them. Notice I used the word 'if'.

Notre Dame is saying on their own website that they will play 5 ACC schools annually and that they will play all 14 ACC schools in rotation. I never saw any written confirmation from ND (official press release or contract) that they would play 3 Big East teams per year. That so-called agreement was merely reported, IIRC, by the BE Commissioner.

Swofford is no Marinatto or Traghese. Notre Dame will play by the rules. One thing is clear to me. Every ACC team WILL be playing Notre Dame at least once every three years.

The Link: http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/33300-n...dependent-but-brings-5-games-annually-to-acc/

Notre Dame is saying on their own website that they will play 5 ACC schools annually and that they will play all 14 ACC schools in rotation. I never saw any written confirmation from ND (official press release or contract) that they would play 3 Big East teams per year. That so-called agreement was merely reported, IIRC, by the BE Commissioner.

Swofford is no Marinatto or Traghese. Notre Dame will play by the rules. One thing is clear to me. Every ACC team WILL be playing Notre Dame at least once every three years.

The Link: http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/33300-n...dependent-but-brings-5-games-annually-to-acc/

That's the point, Maxwell. Or to put it more simply:

Swofford = Smart
Tranghese = Dumb

That's the difference. While Tranghese may have trusted ND or maybe even overstated what ND actually said, Swofford is a lot smarter and a lot tougher. Which is a big part of the reason ND will be in the ACC in 27 months or less and not in the Big East.

Swofford no doubt sold the idea of bringing in ND and hiking the exit fee to the ACC schools by dangling the idea of games with Notre Dame before schools that were "on the fence".

Domestu said:

"Anyone who believes the Irish are going start playing every school in the ACC in some sort of round-robin schedule needs to think a little more about this."

I dislike refuting what someone posts, BUT this is important to do so. The contract signed (checked with source) has Notre Dame rotating through 5 ACC schools every year and that all schools will play Notre Dame at least once in a 3 year period. Note the ACC had sufficient information on Notre Dame play in the BE and instead of a verbal commit it is a contractual commit--that is a different animal all together.

Perhaps this will help alieve some fears:
1. Contractually Notre Dame has signed for 5 ACC games a year...rotating through all ACC members in 3 years with alternating 3 and 2 home games every other year...note neutral site will be home game for one team (EXAMPLE ONLY: 'Cuse playing Notre Dame in NYC...'Cuse would most likely be considered the home team)
2. With 5 games against ACC, Notre Dame has up to 7 other games...lets count Notre Dame's big rivals: USC, Navy, Stanford, MSU, Michigan, and Purdue--that is 6 games so Notre Dame could keep all these every year if it wanted to do so...5 ACC and 6 OOC and maybe one more game...but I am being told that Navy, USC and most likely Stanford are locks--Navy because of history and USC and Stanford because of West coast play
3. What is interesting is that there is nothing contractual about Notre Dame playing more than 5 ACC teams. For example if it isnt playing Pitt and/or BC as one of the five in a year, and over the three year rotation they will not play each of these teams contractually each year to rotate ALL ACC teams in 3 year--Notre Dame could add a 6th or 7th team or more from ACC if they choose to do so and the ACC team has an opening...
--AGAIN, NOTHING IS TO STOP NOTRE DAME FROM PLAYING MORE THAN 5 ACC TEAMS A YEAR--probably wont happen but it would be possible to drop one of the B!G games in a year to make sure BC or Pitt is played (if not in 5 game rotation)

The ACC gets 5 games a year...it is estimated by the conference (source) that this will bring an additional $1,250,000-$2,500,000 per ACC team/yr...it gets ACC and Notre Dame most likely considered for more bowls underneath the BCS as well as more dollars...THIS IS WHY THE VOTE FOR NOTRE DAME COMING IN WAS APPROVED BY ALL SCHOOLS...what wasnt approved by all schools was the change in bylaws on exit fee from $20 million to 3x operating fees which is estimated at $50 million this year --but will increase as operating budget increases yearly--in place as of yesterday...a bylaw is much more difficult to negotiate out of than an GOR...
So 'Cuse fans revel in our move to the ACC and be proud...we found a terrific conference!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom