Nova Game - All things considered pretty good showing I guess | Syracusefan.com

Nova Game - All things considered pretty good showing I guess

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Stayed in it for most of the game, just gonna be hard for this team to beat any top 10 team with our lack of athleticism and complete inability to rebound and pretty much zero bench. Edwards has to finish stronger but continues to show well. Have to find away on the boards, I know Jimmy can spin six times and bank it off the glass but man how about at least trying to grab a D board.

Pretty good?

We were one Joe Girard cold away from getting shut out!

Just kidding, we were one Joe Girard and one Jimmy B cold away from getting shut out! :)

j/k...we fought well and were in it most of the game.

Good showing? Nova played terrible and is probably more like a 20-25ish team. All our stat lines stunk

Ya not sure Nova is a top 10 squad but SU has so many issues right now that not getting blown out until basically the end against a team in the top 10 is to me at least a good showing based on how things played out in the Bahamas and Colgate.

Ya not sure Nova is a top 10 squad but SU has so many issues right now that not getting blown out until basically the end against a team in the top 10 is to me at least a good showing based on how things played out in the Bahamas and Colgate.
Exactly! We may not be elite but we are a lot better than I thought we were. Buddy has a only kind of bad game instead of a horrible one from range and that stays close right until the end. I like the wrinkle in the zone. It sucks we couldn’t pull it off but it was not out of reach until the end!

I’m not taking anything in g from this game really. Other than our athleticism and rebounding which is kind of consistent. Other than that, Jimmy might be better than we thought and Joe has deep shot range, and we have a serious case of BMK hands on this team.

I was unable to watch the game until very late. I turn it on and there is 6:30 left to play in the 2nd half and we’re down 6. I’m thinking, ok wow we actually are in this. From that point on, I don’t think I saw us make a single basket or get a single rebound. It was a pitiful display of complete ineptitude for the time I saw it. Oh well.

Here is what I love about Jesse. He keeps the ball high all the time. Rarely, if ever, do you see him gather and bring the ball down low like many before him. playing above the rim is helping his game

Good showing? Nova played terrible and is probably more like a 20-25ish team. All our stat lines stunk
Who knows where Nova will shake out but one thing for sure is that CBB this season is a huge consistent inconsistency. We need to beat Georgetown on Saturday. No, if, ands or buts. We need to work through our offensive malaise and on defense not give up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th chances.

I was unable to watch the game until very late. I turn it on and there is 6:30 left to play in the 2nd half and we’re down 6. I’m thinking, ok wow we actually are in this. From that point on, I don’t think I saw us make a single basket or get a single rebound. It was a pitiful display of complete ineptitude for the time I saw it. Oh well.
So it was your fault !

We are who we’ve been. A bubble team that needs to slip into the tournament somehow and go on a run. Once again the regular season is hard to watch.
You missed some great wins against Indiana and FSU. Maybe you were like Houston and only caught the last few minutes against Nova. The rest of the game was pretty entertaining.

SU doesn't have monsters on the boards -therefore boxing out even more important for this team.
But they rarely box out. Just watch the shot without locating opponents contesting for the rebound.
Don't understand it at all -keep looking for improvement on box outs but not seeing it.

That was our best game of the year in many ways. But the rebounding was awful. Too bad because for the first time we had guys in great spots so often but never got the ball.

Buddy not making shots thats a 5-10 pt swing and the game is even.

they make rebounding so hard because they never look to see where the attacker is coming for. half those rebounds just require a side step to the box out.. At least they attempted to box out some of them but our lack of skill in attacking the ball allowed alot of 2nd chances tipped balls.

good thing, its still a correctable thing. Jesse has gotten much better at keeping the ball high in just 10 games, maybe others figure out the simple things too.

SU doesn't have monsters on the boards -therefore boxing out even more important for this team.
But they rarely box out. Just watch the shot without locating opponents contesting for the rebound.
Don't understand it at all -keep looking for improvement on box outs but not seeing it.
We’ve never been good at boxing out .. even when we were better at rebounding , it was generally sheer athleticism

That was our best game of the year in many ways. But the rebounding was awful. Too bad because for the first time we had guys in great spots so often but never got the ball.

Buddy not making shots thats a 5-10 pt swing and the game is even.

they make rebounding so hard because they never look to see where the attacker is coming for. half those rebounds just require a side step to the box out.. At least they attempted to box out some of them but our lack of skill in attacking the ball allowed alot of 2nd chances tipped balls.

good thing, its still a correctable thing. Jesse has gotten much better at keeping the ball high in just 10 games, maybe others figure out the simple things too.
JB doesn’t teach it. He’s said it numerous times

You missed some great wins against Indiana and FSU. Maybe you were like Houston and only caught the last few minutes against Nova. The rest of the game was pretty entertaining.
If selection Sunday was held today we would we be a bubble team? Have we been a bubble team for almost the past decade? Do you think we will be a bubble team at the end of this season?

I accept our place in college basketball, and football for that matter but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

... We need to beat Georgetown on Saturday. No, if, ands or buts. ..
This is the season.
A win Saturday makes it successful regardless of how unsuccessful it may be.

I LOOOOOAAAATHE G-TOWN!

GO ORANGE!!!

They lost to Purdue by 6. They are going to win 25 games before the tournament.
Maybe but that says a lot about their conference. They are a top 20 team. Just don’t think top 5. They have almost nothing inside and such a short bench

This is just where we are. It was fun at the Garden to be in the game. With the late start I was joking that I wouldn't have minded a blowout so I could leave earlier.

I really didn't like their fans booing Cole when he touched the ball early in the game.

Maybe but that says a lot about their conference. They are a top 20 team. Just don’t think top 5. They have almost nothing inside and such a short bench
You’re correct on both, but that’s typically Jay Wright’s MO. He‘s like JB and usually relies on 6 guys and I don’t ever remember Nova ever have anything inside.

And not sure we should be saying anything about the BE with how bad our conference is this year.

If selection Sunday was held today we would we be a bubble team? Have we been a bubble team for almost the past decade? Do you think we will be a bubble team at the end of this season?

I accept our place in college basketball, and football for that matter but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.
If Selection Sunday was held today it would be Selection Wednesday.

Exactly! We may not be elite but we are a lot better than I thought we were. Buddy has a only kind of bad game instead of a horrible one from range and that stays close right until the end. I like the wrinkle in the zone. It sucks we couldn’t pull it off but it was not out of reach until the end!
We have a chance to win this game if Buddy is playing as well as he can. His 3 point shooting accuracy has to come back at some point. It did last season and his freshman year when he started cold.