Nova Game - All things considered pretty good showing I guess | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nova Game - All things considered pretty good showing I guess

You’re correct on both, but that’s typically Jay Wright’s MO. He‘s like JB and usually relies on 6 guys and I don’t ever remember Nova ever have anything inside.

And not sure we should be saying anything about the BE with how bad our conference is this year.
The ACC might be terrible. Duke aside

SU doesn't have monsters on the boards -therefore boxing out even more important for this team.
But they rarely box out. Just watch the shot without locating opponents contesting for the rebound.
Don't understand it at all -keep looking for improvement on box outs but not seeing it.
This drives me crazy. At some point several of our players stop crashing and just stand there and look. It’s hard to box out in a zone but sometimes it is possible—you have to try and they often don’t even try.

I consider the season (and game) like weightlifting. You start fresh, you're feeling good with weight you can control. Once you start going up in weight, it gets more challenging, you can only handle more reps. By the last 10 minutes, our muscle was fatigued and couldn't do anymore. But as the season goes along, we can handle the heavier weight for longer periods of time.

Did the loss suck? Sure did. It's because we were with them for 30 minutes in this game. Play like that the rest of the way, I'm not worried about a majority of the ACC games.

While it's a bummer how it ended, we played Nova dead even for 30-35 minutes.

With their multi-skilled, athletic, pass-first, smart shooters - on paper, Nova should be a NIGHTMARE for the 2-3, especially with all the "high hoops IQ, lunchpail, gritty, gymrat" sorta non-athletes we're trotting out there this season.

And yet - we led at the half, and held a team that was averaging well over 40% from 3 AS A TEAM, to nearly HALF of that %. It took them heating up quite a bit in the 2nd half to raise that to 26% for the game.

It's kinda crazy that we kept it that close, for that long, while getting nearly nothing from Buddy.

I'm looking at this glass as being more like 3/4 full, rather than the 1/2 empty that so many other fans seem to gravitate towards.

You missed some great wins against Indiana and FSU. Maybe you were like Houston and only caught the last few minutes against Nova. The rest of the game was pretty entertaining.
Pretty entertaining if you like watching the opponent shoot wide open threes all game and then get rebound after rebound until they hit the wide open trey.

while I appreciated the effort of the team...specifically Jimmy...they simply are what they are at this point.

short term, I think the right way to look at this is appreciate the wins and keeping it close vs good teams.

long term? I think the fact that this is even our thinking shows that this program simply is on the downturn. So many posts simply “happy to compete“ with Nova. Myself included. They’ve STORMED past us as a program. Remember when the uconn board called us the plucky whatevers and we all mocked them. They are kinda right now.

Last edited:
I was unable to watch the game until very late. I turn it on and there is 6:30 left to play in the 2nd half and we’re down 6. I’m thinking, ok wow we actually are in this. From that point on, I don’t think I saw us make a single basket or get a single rebound. It was a pitiful display of complete ineptitude for the time I saw it. Oh well.
So it was your fault...

Nice Defensive effort. As someone else earlier in this thread pointed out, we just got tired. Buddy could not come around to hitting shots we expect him to hit. Our offence from Cole and Joe has to be better. Girard was looking good but his 3 TO's in the 2nd half really hurt. In each case he had the matchup he wanted and just could not execute the play. Cole was missing on offence. Perhaps that is why Jimmy went off. Nova focused on our outside shooters and Jimmy delivered. Jesse not so much. On offence, our "3s" of shooters need to be able to beat their defender off the dribble. This game Buddy did but could not hit his shot. Joe did not execute in the 2nd half on the needed plays. Cole tried but was not able to dribble into traffic.

I also think Jesse should have had a bigger game than he did. I think he played well but he should have dominated more on offence. His post play would have forced a drop off from either Cole/Buddy/Joe and we could have had more success hitting outside shots.

BTW we held Nova to its lowest point total of the season.

Who knows where Nova will shake out but one thing for sure is that CBB this season is a huge consistent inconsistency. We need to beat Georgetown on Saturday. No, if, ands or buts. We need to work through our offensive malaise and on defense not give up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th chances.
If we lose to Gtown, who lost to DARTMOUTH, then the season is essentially done. That would be an absolutely terrible loss.

Stayed in it for most of the game, just gonna be hard for this team to beat any top 10 team with our lack of athleticism and complete inability to rebound and pretty much zero bench. Edwards has to finish stronger but continues to show well. Have to find away on the boards, I know Jimmy can spin six times and bank it off the glass but man how about at least trying to grab a D board.
Like getting bounced in the elite 8 after this last three games. Last 10 minutes is danger zone for this team.

and like Jake notes, a team built around offense and outside shooting needs ALL the shooters to be on. They aren’t going to win, fsu notwithstanding, with buddy going for six.

If we lose to Gtown, who lost to DARTMOUTH, then the season is essentially done. That would be an absolutely terrible loss.

Terrible loss? Yes. Season done? Come on.

long term? I think the fact that this is even our thinking shows that this program simply is on the downturn. So many posts simply “happy to compete“ with Nova. Myself included. They’ve STORMED past us as a program. Remember when the uconn board called us the plucky whatevers and we all mocked them. They are kinda right now.

Speak for yourself. And I could care less what the Boner Mutts said about our program. Yes, they’re making their way back as a program, but they’ve been largely irrelevant since Kevin Ollie was kicked to the curb, while we’ve steadily made S16’s, E8’s, & Final4. Have we fallen as a program? Sure. But we haven’t exactly cratered for Pete’s sake!
It’s the nature of the sport that success is mostly determined in March…and this team will be very good by March. That’s what this game showed me. JMHO

Terrible loss? Yes. Season done? Come on.

Speak for yourself. And I could care less what the Boner Mutts said about our program. Yes, they’re making their way back as a program, but they’ve been largely irrelevant since Kevin Ollie was kicked to the curb, while we’ve steadily made S16’s, E8’s, & Final4. Have we fallen as a program? Sure. But we haven’t exactly cratered for Pete’s sake!
It’s the nature of the sport that success is mostly determined in March…and this team will be very good by March. That’s what this game showed me. JMHO
I’m not comparing us to UConn. They aren’t relevant to the conversation.

I’m simply stating the reality of our status as a program. It absolutely has gone down and the fact that everyone is understanding and accepting of Nova being that much better than us proves it.

I’m not comparing us to UConn. They aren’t relevant to the conversation.

I’m simply stating the reality of our status as a program. It absolutely has gone down and the fact that everyone is understanding and accepting of Nova being that much better than us proves it.
Fair enough and I hear where you’re coming from, djc. But I don’t see it as being about “understanding and accepting”. The reality is that right now they ARE better than us, but I for one don’t accept moral victories for SU under any circumstances.
We will get chances to redeem ourselves come March. And from What i saw last nite, it told me that when we play to our potential, we can not only compete but beat any team in the country. We have our flaws, and they are obvious. But acknowledging & understanding that fact, does not make it about acceptance JMHO

Pretty entertaining if you like watching the opponent shoot wide open threes all game and then get rebound after rebound until they hit the wide open trey.
So you only caught the last part. That’s OK. You can see the rest on demand. I even watched it in Spanish.

While it's a bummer how it ended, we played Nova dead even for 30-35 minutes.

With their multi-skilled, athletic, pass-first, smart shooters - on paper, Nova should be a NIGHTMARE for the 2-3, especially with all the "high hoops IQ, lunchpail, gritty, gymrat" sorta non-athletes we're trotting out there this season.

And yet - we led at the half, and held a team that was averaging well over 40% from 3 AS A TEAM, to nearly HALF of that %. It took them heating up quite a bit in the 2nd half to raise that to 26% for the game.

It's kinda crazy that we kept it that close, for that long, while getting nearly nothing from Buddy.

I'm looking at this glass as being more like 3/4 full, rather than the 1/2 empty that so many other fans seem to gravitate towards.
thing is if you made a list of things that if they did happen would be huge for the orange win chances - poor shooting from Nova, no foul trouble for jesse, lead at half, joe on fire, jimmy scoring a lot etc...it just seemed like the breaks were going the orange way ...to lose when getting those unlikely breaks is a bit dispiriting if you ask me.

if these 2 teams play again - nova is going to shoot a lot better, imo...both halves would look like the second.

i just dont think nova is better than syracuse. but i think they beleive they are and i believe the orange players and coaches largely do. the nova approach is better but the players themselves arent really, imo.

i think most of the orange struggles in the game had to do with approach to the game and misguided strategy - self-inflicted -which, if you wanna spin as a positive, be my guest, but theres no indication that any of that will change...as the coach is very stubborn and stuck in his ways.

It’s the first week of December, relax
I am relaxed. I’m just saying we’ve seen this show before. As a matter of fact it’s been the same story every season for a decade. I’ll keep watching and cheering but it’s like groundhogs day with our basketball and our football team too.

We are who we’ve been. A bubble team that needs to slip into the tournament somehow and go on a run. Once again the regular season is hard to watch.
This could be a very dangerous team if they got in because of the 3 ball the zone and jb but we already have 4 losses and the Colgate loss is like 3 losses.

Last night is what it looks like when you have a front line that lacks athleticism, quickness, and can't jump 5 inches off the ground. Just total inability to rebound opponents missed shots. The defense was actually pretty good. Holding Nova to 32% FG shooting is more than you can hope for. Just couldn't get a rebound. So many sequences they got 2/3/4 rebounds and scored. Beyond frustrating. Gonna be a problem all year.

This could be a very dangerous team if they got in because of the 3 ball the zone and jb but we already have 4 losses and the Colgate loss is like 3 losses.
No, it isn’t. If Colgate was as bad as some of you think, it would be a Q4 loss right now. It’s not. And I don’t think it ever will be.

Colgate’s remaining non-conference schedule (all on the road): Pitt, St. John’s, Monmouth, Vermont. Let’s see how those games play out.

No, it isn’t. If Colgate was as bad as some of you think, it would be a Q4 loss right now. It’s not. And I don’t think it ever will be.

Colgate’s remaining non-conference schedule (all on the road): Pitt, St. John’s, Monmouth, Vermont. Let’s see how those games play out.
They are 4 and 5 it's going to be a quad 4 loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom