Nova represents everything right about CBB | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Nova represents everything right about CBB

Sure he does well closing. I give credit for that it is a skill. The guy wasn’t lead recruiting while Hopkins was the lead assistant.

JB is a great coach. I just think the downfall of the roster the previous years is on him.

Yeah, everyone knows who the lead recruiter was. Gmac was the lead recruiter for Matt Moyer. Did he "get" Moyer? No. It's a team effort, and Boeheim is the closer, as you said. As Bazely said, he's looking for a big stage to showcase his skills for the NBA. He didn't come to Syracuse for Allen Griffen.

You can scream "roster mismanagement" every day, as you continue to do. That's not really the case. We've recruited well enough to continue to send kids to the NBA early on a regular basis. We've had some bad luck (Coleman injuries, McCullough, early departures, Moustapha Diagne ineligible, NCAA sanctions, and a few kids not pan out-China, Buss and BJ), and Thorpe and Taurean Thompson bailing. However, JB has still managed a couple Final Fours in the last 5 years, and there are brighter days ahead. It's not easy to win in the ACC (it's not like we're playing in the PAc12), but JB continues to do it. But you've got to blame someone, so you just blame everything on Jimmy. And it's not warranted.

Last edited:
This thread is about 30 hours old and is turning into the longest non recruiting board thread in history. Alsacs has lapped the field in posts. Townie coming in a distant second.

This thread is about 30 hours old and is turning into the longest non recruiting board thread in history. Alsacs has lapped the field in posts. Townie coming in a distant second.
I am happy to respond to anyone.
I am quite unpopular so I get plenty of action and don’t take offense.

I am to lazy to look it up but I have read comments from recruits who said they really connected with an assistant (Hop, Red, etc). It seems to imply that th assistant was an overwhelming factor in coming to SU. So it seems plausible that a student athlete may have selected SU because of that relationship. I am curious what the recruiting gurus on this board say.

Not trying to start a fight!

I am to lazy to look it up but I have read comments from recruits who said they really connected with an assistant (Hop, Red, etc). It seems to imply that th assistant was an overwhelming factor in coming to SU. So it seems plausible that a student athlete may have selected SU because of that relationship. I am curious what the recruiting gurus on this board say.

Not trying to start a fight!
the lead assistant in the recruitment is absolutely critical.
with very few exceptions, top level kids (and their families) with their sights set on the pros are not going to sign on the line which is dotted unless they are comfortable playing for the hc and believe that he & his system can get them to their ultimate goal.
giving all credit to the assistants and 0% to jb is nothing short of dishonest.

You’re missing one other very important leg that the program stands on: The passion and intensity of the SU fan base, and the history and winning tradition that goes hand in hand with it. Im sorry but that doesn’t exist everywhere. SU is the only game in town for all of upstate New York in terms of big time college basketball. And unlike football, we have the nearby fertile recruiting areas of the Northeast to tap into. No programs can boast crowds of 35,000 plus for big games and 20,000 for a weeknight game against mid majors or lower tier conference teams. Even with several mediocre seasons in a row by our standards, the fans still come out. JB has remarked on this many times. Fan base matters, and you don’t understand college sports if you think otherwise. Why do you think UConn was able to rise to prominence (along with Calhoun)? How do you think Creighton all the way out in godforsaken Omaha got invited to the Big East? They have a passionate fan base (and a winning history), a semi-large city population to draw those fans from, and no nearby pro sports to compete with. Same with Wichita State and same with Gonzaga. Mark Few has talked about this as part of his ability to grow the program there. It matters that tiny Gonzaga exists in a mid-sized city like Spokane of 200,000 (500,000 metro area) with no pro sports or other schools to compete with. Same with Arizona in Tucson. Obviously building that winning tradition also matters. But it doesn’t have to be built at Syracuse. It already exists.

I actually don't disagree vehemently with your rather well-thought out post.

But this ain't gonna be any slam-dunk after JB leaves. The opinion of some on here is that when JB leaves we'll be able to attract a coach that will be as successful or more successful. (Especially if the new coach will implement some of the different strategies they have wishing for sitting in their vinyl Laz-R-Boys sucking down Genesee Lights.)

I see the transition as being difficult and fraught with risk. And very likely to result in a period in which things get worse before they get better.

No question that SU has a large and dedicated fan base NOW. But that fan base and the enthusiasm that underlies it is pretty fragile. The SU football experience pretty much proves that.

It's always been the excellence of the SU BB product that has driven the big attendance numbers. Some seem to feel it works the other way or that it could work the other way.

The proximity of a fertile recruiting base is relative. I'd say SU's position is relatively weak. It's 300 miles from the nearest hotbed.

To see this you need to compare it to schools that are much closer to recruiting hotbeds. By comparison, The University of Maryland is in Prince Georges County, one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country (Kevin Garnett and many others). It's on the same street as DeMatha High School a couple of miles away. and its half an hour from Baltimore. Georgetown is close by.

Fans, from what I have seen, have a tendency to over-rate the attractiveness of their coaching vacancies. They start out assuming that they can get the best coaching prospects in the country to apply and then the school can just pick one.

The way it seems to work is that these jobs need to be promotions for the incoming coach. Very few are interested in near lateral moves. Guys coming up from Mid-Majors undergo learning curves and down periods while they put their systems in. Programs frequently never really recover (e.g. Indiana)

There's also SU's "pickiness" when it comes to coaching hires. I have watched some WVU games. Does anybody actually think SU would hire a guy like Huggins? He's a hell of a coach, but it would never happen.

I thought George O'Leary would have been a good choice for football. But SU heard about the resume flap, that occurred while he was here, and wouldn't even consider the guy.

Boeheim is one of the best coaches in college basketball and has been for many, many years. When he leaves, SU will probably not be upgrading the coaching position.

We may have an opportunity to see happy some of our fans are when SU loses 20 games in a season but runs M2M defense.

"are not going to sign on the line which is dotted"

glengarry-glen-ross-alec-baldwin-1.jpg

I want to see how some of these other schools recruit now that they’ve been outed by the FBI before throwing pitchforks at our staff(Miami, Ville, Zona, USC).

Paging Francis03 you are the recruiting guy who has connections.

Do we get Bazley to come to SU without Allen Griffin being an assistant?

your post implies that if we gave another coach 40 + tries he'd win one title. oranges to oranges. coaching and college basketball has changed a ton since golf coach JAMES BOEHEIM was hired. prayers for your patience. are you willing to give up another 40 years for 1 title and call that coach a hall of famer ?

Last edited:

Yup.

How I am refuting an argument that was not made in that post above certainly isn't clear to me. The PP talked about fan bases and recruiting areas and earlier posters on the same subject have talked about the need to replace JB and who they feel could be hired (e.g. Jay Wright)

Well that sucks. I can pray my bat signal will get him to reconsider.

Why? So you can get someone else to validate your opinion that Boeheim is doing a bad job? How about this? We don’t get Bazely without Boeheim. He ain’t coming to play for Griffen.

Why? So you can get someone else to validate your opinion that Boeheim is doing a bad job? How about this? We don’t get Bazely without Boeheim. He ain’t coming to play for Griffen.
Francis wouldn’t validate chit.
He is one of the best posters on recruiting and would be objective something you know nothing about.

Think whatever you want. We didn’t contact Bazley until Griffin was an assistant. Francis knows recruiting you clearly don’t.

He is one of the best posters on recruiting and would be objective something you know nothing about.

Think whatever you want. We didn’t contact Bazley until Griffin was an assistant. Francis knows recruiting you clearly don’t.

And you clearly know nothing about recruiting if you think the head coach isn’t invloved in the recruitment or closed the deal. But you keep blaming Boeheim for everything and obstinately refusing to give him credit when recruiting gets better. That’s your agenda and everyone here knows it.

Next your gonna tell us Boeheim deserves no credit for getting Jalen Carey.

And you clearly know nothing about recruiting if you think the head coach isn’t invloved in the recruitment or closed the deal. But you keep blaming Boeheim for everything and obstinately refusing to give him credit when recruiting gets better. That’s your agenda and everyone here knows it.

Next your gonna tell us Boeheim deserves no credit for getting Jalen Carey.
Yeah I said he played no factor you got me.
You project what I think. Ask questions before that next time.
Your a waste of my time good night.

Yeah I said he played no factor you got me.
You project what I think. Ask questions before that next time.
Your a waste of my time good night.

That’s essentially what you posted.

Why didn’t Bazely go to Dayton? Griff was his guy, right?

Read what Bazely actually said, and you’ll have your answer as to why he picked Syracuse.

“Bazley said his relationship with new SU assistant coach Allen Griffin and with SU head coach Jim Boeheim sealed his commitment to the Orange. He called Syracuse a "perfect fit" because of his length and his athleticism.”

I guess it IS a team effort, after all. Kudos the JB and Allen Griffin for landing a Top 10 kid!

I've been meaning to ask this, but why is his word held as the gospel? People here take everything for face value. He's posting hearsay like most people on here. What events is he at? Who does he know? Everyone is an insider on here. People who truly have privileged information wouldn't put their face to it.

Nova shot 35% from the field and missed 14 3's in the 1st half - still up by 21 at the half vs. UConn

Nova shot 35% from the field and missed 14 3's in the 1st half - still up by 21 at the half vs. UConn
UConn sucks on offense and Nova is aggressive and getting cheap points on pressure.
We have a better halfcourt offense than UConn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom