Nova represents everything right about CBB | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Nova represents everything right about CBB

We missed out on Bryant and Huerter because of the sanctions. For Huerter, they didn’t have the scholarships.
Sanctions weren’t the factor with Bryant.
We had a scholarship for him.
We had Chino on the roster to interest him.
His mom wanted him to come to SU.
He didn’t want to come.
Huerter was sanctions related.
Bryant no.

quick look at the polls suggest the old BE don't miss us much.

This is going to probably be their 5th year in a row winning 30 games, and they're doing it with 4-year student athletes, not 1 year rent-a-players. They have only had three players drafted to the NBA in the past decade, and they're all seniors. Not since Kyle Lowry left after his sophomore year in 2006 have they had someone leave early.

They also score 88 points per game, and shoot 52% from the floor, 76% from the line, 42% from three as a team. It's unreal how well they put the ball in the hoop. The most inefficient scorer of their top 7-8 players is Omari Spellman, and his FG% is .477.
Nova had those two or three mediocre seasons when they landed a bunch of McDonalds All Americans and then had them leave early, but Wright has said it disrupted team chemistry and cohesiveness and hurt the program’s culture. So he decided to change things up on the recruiting front and instead recruit players who were willing to buy into the system and be around for 3-4 years. He’s really been able to rebuild a self-sustaining culture there. It was a bit of a gamble but it’s worked. Obviously the departures of Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, WVU etc have helped Nova in its domination. They don’t have the same challenges they once did. The struggles of Gtown (the other big-time championship program in the BE) have also been hugely beneficial, leaving Nova as the premier program in the new Big East.

Last edited:
We recruited PGs and they chose to go elsewhere. I think the staff would agree with you that bringing in a true PG would help, but what was out there? Did the staff need to go after 3 star PGs just to fill the spot? Would a 3 star PG, pure or not, have helped or hurt?
Tremont Waters was out there and apparently was interested in SU after de-committing from Gtown. I’m not saying we should have went after him, but that was what people were saying...

Nova had those two or three mediocre seasons when they landed a bunch of McDonalds All Americans and then had them leave early, but Wright has said it disrupted team chemistry and cohesiveness and hurt the program’s culture. So he decided to change things up on the recruiting front and instead recruit players who were willing to buy into the system and be around for 3-4 years. He’s really been able to rebuild a self-sustaining culture there. It was a bit of a gamble but it’s worked. Obviously the departures of Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, WVU etc have helped Nova in its domination. They don’t have the same challenges they once did. The struggles of Gtown (the other big-time championship program in the BE) have also been hugely beneficial, leaving Nova as the premier program in the new Big East.
i don't accept the excuse well "soandso" left early. that is the nature of the game you play today. adapt or die.

Griffin got Bazley
Autry got Carey
Boeheim got Tucker till Duke stole him and got Buddy.

I recall seeing Boeheim at Peach Jam watching Bazely and Carey and Roberts, among others. Weird how he gets no credit from you for "getting" Bazely and Carey. He was heavily involved in both of those recruitments.

Last edited:
I recall seeing Boeheim at Peach Jam watching Bazely and Carey and Roberts, among others. Weird how he gets no credit from you for "getting" Bazely and Carey.
Griffin was why we got Bazley.
Autry was the lead recruiter for Carey.
JB did not do the lead in recruiting them. He did for Tucker(which he won IMO) and I gave him credit for that:

Why you want to give JB the credit when it was the assistants is just not the reality.
Just like Hop was bringing most of the guys since he replaced Bernie as lead assistant.

issue being the program is not selling itself . we ain't ranked and haven't been for some time. creates a snowball effect.

Griffin was the lead recruiter and did get us Bazley. He was in Ohio as an assistant for Dayton and got us Bazley.
Autry was the same for Carey.

I get that you don't like Boeheim and feel the need to constantly criticize him, but this is ridiculous. JB was heavily involved in both players recruitment
Griffin was why we got Bazley.
Autry was the lead recruiter for Carey.
JB did not do the lead in recruiting them. He did for Tucker(which he won IMO) and I gave him credit for that:

Why you want to give JB the credit when it was the assistants is just not the reality.
Just like Hop was bringing most of the guys since he replaced Bernie as lead assistant.

Yeah this is nonsense. Assistants recruit. That's part of their job. These kids aren't signing on to play for Adrian Autry or Allen Griffen. They didn't "get" anyone. Boeheim did the in-homes. Or does he not get credit for that either?

Tremont Waters was out there and apparently was interested in SU after de-committing from Gtown. I’m not saying we should have went after him, but that was what people were saying...

Yes, he was, but the staff likely did the right thing despite him having a good year at LSU. His father wanted the ball in his hands from Day 1 and believes he is a one-year player.

I get that you don't like Boeheim and feel the need to constantly criticize him, but this is ridiculous. JB was heavily involved in both players recruitment

Yeah this is nonsense. Assistants recruit. That's part of their job. These kids aren't signing on to play for Adrian Autry or Allen Griffen. They didn't "get" anyone. Boeheim did the in-homes. Or does he not get credit for that either?
Yeah I hate JB you got me.
I think he sucks. My god.

Just because I think the guy isn’t infathomable I hate the guy thanks for telling me.

Assistants are the reason most recruits go to schools. JB was not active the previous years. He coasted and yes if we don’t have Allen Griffin I highly doubt we get Bazley why you want to give this credit to JB over Griffin is just fight me because you want to defend JB.

Princeton basketball standout Darius Bazley reflects on Syracuse, his summer and recruiting process

“More importantly, though, was the fact that Bazley also shared a strong connection with Syracuse assistant Allen Griffin, who was previously at the University of Dayton. Griffin earned Bazley’s trust in conversations on and off the court.

That relationship went a long way to prompt Bazley making a follow-up phone call to commit to the Orange.”

Stupid stuff like is annoying. My god please stop labeling me because you don’t like hearing it. Just ignore rather misconstruding me.

So are you factoring in the all zone issue? Because that is a real issue and deterrent like it or not. It has been chronicled over and over by posters in the know who cover recruiting on/off of this board. All zone eliminates certain prospects immediately. Generally the elite ones. Also, the coaches have to ‘verify’ first who to actually try to target/visit when they find out that a certain kid would be OK with playing all zone. Now, the murky part is how much kids talk and play telephone in regards to how ‘all zone sucks’ or is ‘uncool’ as well as how many coaches use it against them in recruiting. One would expect this to be happening.

This is still not true, no many how many times you post it. You have absolutely nothing to back this up, and you're just guessing that kids are talking about this. I'll point to the 8 McDonald's AA's in the last 10 years as proof otherwise.

Yeah I hate JB you got me.
I think he sucks. My god.

Just because I think the guy isn’t infathomable I hate the guy thanks for telling me.

Assistants are the reason most recruits go to schools. JB was not active the previous years. He coasted and yes if we don’t have Allen Griffin I highly doubt we get Bazley why you want to give this credit to JB over Griffin is just fight me because you want to defend JB.

Princeton basketball standout Darius Bazley reflects on Syracuse, his summer and recruiting process

“More importantly, though, was the fact that Bazley also shared a strong connection with Syracuse assistant Allen Griffin, who was previously at the University of Dayton. Griffin earned Bazley’s trust in conversations on and off the court.

That relationship went a long way to prompt Bazley making a follow-up phone call to commit to the Orange.”

Stupid stuff like is annoying. My god please stop labeling me because you don’t like hearing it. Just ignore rather misconstruding me.

You do. It's obvious. You spend all day every day criticizing him. We all get it.

It sounds like you're saying Boeheim doesn't recruit at all. Just his assistants do. By that logic, has Boeheim ever gotten a recruit?

You do. It's obvious. You spend all day every day criticizing him. We all get it.

It sounds like you're saying Boeheim doesn't recruit at all. Just his assistants do. By that logic, has Boeheim ever gotten a recruit?
You don’t read.
I just gave him credit posts back on Jordan Tucker.
Boeheim won that battle and Duke stole him.
He recruited his butt off and went to Atlanta multiple times.
I gave him credit for that.

He did coast while Hop was handling recruiting but once Hop left he became energized and earned a lot of trust with how he did last summer.

To claim our golden age recruits where the work of JB and not Hop also is not being honest.
JB has been the closer he hasn’t been main recruiting till last summer the previous years.

No he didn't. That's silly. It's ok to give Boeheim credit you know.
Just because it annoys you I won’t.

If Allen Griffin wasn’t an SU assistant you think Bazley comes to SU?

Just because it annoys you I won’t.

You don't anyway.

If Allen Griffin wasn’t an SU assistant you think Bazley comes to SU?

Yes, I do:

"I think there's other schools out there that could put me on a bigger stage and in a better position to show those NBA scouts when I get to college what I can do," Bazley told the Columbus Dispatch in April."

Bazely came to Syracuse to play on a big stage and showcase for the NBA. For a HOF coach. And to possibly play in a FF. Not because of Allen Griffen.

Recruiting has him as a SG and watching him play he is a SG who can fill in some as a PG but he isn’t a PG. If we recruited him to be a PG we recruited a SG to flip.

This stuff is semantics we didn’t recruit a PG for 3 recruiting classes.
Our PG play since Ennis has been people out of position and a freshman Kaleb Joseph.
PG is the most important position in college hoops.
you are the one playing semantics; howard was recruited by su as a point. as was carey. as was brycen goodine.

your position re: boeheim is clear. however, you have not made an argument that supports (i don't think you can, which is why it all rests on semantics & rhetoric). there is nothing in the recent recruiting patterns that stands out as seriously unusual in syracuse history. the level of punishment in the sanctions, however, do stand out. you can't just wave that away in your fervor. well, you can. but its easily dismissed.

That you say you know, but that you don't really know is a problem.

You are saying categorically that no one 73 years old can coach a basketball team effectively. (Two recent Final Fours?)

Experience and wisdom appear to have little value to you.

In your mind, "73" says it all. I mean why even argue, He's 73.

Sorry. That to me isn't an intelligent position and I take issue with it.

The success of SU basketball has rested on three legs; The Big East, ESPN coverage of college basketball and the wisdom and strategies of Jim Boeheim.

The Big East is now history for SU.

ESPN is no longer the only source for college basketball. The Washington Post lists 20 or 30 games I can watch on a Saturday and I have ESPN Watch for more.

JB is all that's left. When he goes, getting SU basketball back to its zenith will be an extremely difficult task.

You’re missing one other very important leg that the program stands on: The passion and intensity of the SU fan base, and the history and winning tradition that goes hand in hand with it. Im sorry but that doesn’t exist everywhere. SU is the only game in town for all of upstate New York in terms of big time college basketball. And unlike football, we have the nearby fertile recruiting areas of the Northeast to tap into. No programs can boast crowds of 35,000 plus for big games and 20,000 for a weeknight game against mid majors or lower tier conference teams. Even with several mediocre seasons in a row by our standards, the fans still come out. JB has remarked on this many times. Fan base matters, and you don’t understand college sports if you think otherwise. Why do you think UConn was able to rise to prominence (along with Calhoun)? How do you think Creighton all the way out in godforsaken Omaha got invited to the Big East? They have a passionate fan base (and a winning history), a semi-large city population to draw those fans from, and no nearby pro sports to compete with. Same with Wichita State and same with Gonzaga. Mark Few has talked about this as part of his ability to grow the program there. It matters that tiny Gonzaga exists in a mid-sized city like Spokane of 200,000 (500,000 metro area) with no pro sports or other schools to compete with. Same with Arizona in Tucson. Obviously building that winning tradition also matters. But it doesn’t have to be built at Syracuse. It already exists.

You don’t read.
I just gave him credit posts back on Jordan Tucker.
Boeheim won that battle and Duke stole him.
He recruited his butt off and went to Atlanta multiple times.
I gave him credit for that.

He did coast while Hop was handling recruiting but once Hop left he became energized and earned a lot of trust with how he did last summer.

To claim our golden age recruits where the work of JB and not Hop also is not being honest.
JB has been the closer he hasn’t been main recruiting till last summer the previous years.

You gave Boeheim credit for being the lead recruiter on a kid that picked Duke? Boeheim went to see Bazely and Carey play multiple times. Did in-homes. No credit for that? I don't think you understand how recruiting works. You said Boeheim was the closer. So he should get credit for every signed recruit, right?

you are the one playing semantics; howard was recruited by su as a point. as was carey. as was brycen goodine.

your position re: boeheim is clear. however, you have not made an argument that supports (i don't think you can, which is why it all rests on semantics & rhetoric). there is nothing in the recent recruiting patterns that stands out as seriously unusual in syracuse history. the level of punishment in the sanctions, however, do stand out. you can't just wave that away in your fervor. well, you can. but its easily dismissed.
If sanctions are big problem why is this recruiting cycle good?
We are still down 2 scholarships and sorry I don’t see 2 coaches off the road being the biggest problem when we had 2 coaches with USA basketball.
Maybe not having USA basketball commitments helped but that was our coaches own decision.
2 coaches off the road didn’t get us Boeheim or Bazley.

The difference this year has been we have resolution. Hopkins gone and JB more engaged.

If sanctions are big problem why is this recruiting cycle good?
We are still down 2 scholarships and sorry I don’t see 2 coaches off the road being the biggest problem when we had 2 coaches with USA basketball.
Maybe not having USA basketball commitments helped but that was our coaches own decision.
2 coaches off the road didn’t get us Boeheim or Bazley.

The difference this year has been we have resolution. Hopkins gone and JB more engaged.

Right. Boeheim said it himself. He thought the uncertainty of the coaching situation hurt the program. Also, the the sanctions are coming to an end. If recruiting is good again, why are you still whining?

You gave Boeheim credit for being the lead recruiter on a kid that picked Duke? Boeheim went to see Bazely and Carey play multiple times. Did in-homes. No credit for that? I don't think you understand how recruiting works. You said Boeheim was the closer. So he should get credit for every signed recruit, right?

Sure he does well closing. I give credit for that it is a skill. The guy wasn’t lead recruiting while Hopkins was the lead assistant.

JB is a great coach. I just think the downfall of the roster the previous years is on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom