Now that we're in the ACC, who should we irrationally despise? | Syracusefan.com

Now that we're in the ACC, who should we irrationally despise?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I just can't bring myself to have the venom I used to for UCONN and Georgetown. Part of the fun of being in a new conference is that we'll establish new rivalries. I know old rivalries with VPI, Miami and BC will be renewed, but I really feel like it will be better to just start hating a team with a completely clean slate, for no real reason. I'm thinking something along the lines of the legendary "Beat Siena" week.

So, I nominate Wake Forest. They're totally nondescript. Their teams are interesting every once in a while. They're the little brother North Carolina team so that's fun. But mostly, I think we'll beat the Hell out of them in hoops and football on a regular basis, and from this day forward, I nominate them as the team we just outright despise.

Anyone with me, or wish to nominate another school?

I just can't bring myself to have the venom I used to for UCONN and Georgetown. Part of the fun of being in a new conference is that we'll establish new rivalries. I know old rivalries with VPI, Miami and BC will be renewed, but I really feel like it will be better to just start hating a team with a completely clean slate, for no real reason. I'm thinking something along the lines of the legendary "Beat Siena" week.

So, I nominate Wake Forest. They're totally nondescript. Their teams are interesting every once in a while. They're the little brother North Carolina team so that's fun. But mostly, I think we'll beat the Hell out of them in hoops and football on a regular basis, and from this day forward, I nominate them as the team we just outright despise.

Anyone with me, or wish to nominate another school?
Seems like the general consensus is NCST on this board. Why you would hate Wake I don't know. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Plus they're also awful in just about every sport. So it's tough to hate a school that not very good. But...you did say hate for no reason so I guess they work.

Agree--NC State PuppyPack.

NCStateMascot.jpg

Seems like the general consensus is NCST on this board. Why you would hate Wake I don't know. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Plus they're also awful in just about every sport. So it's tough to hate a school that not very good. But...you did say hate for no reason so I guess they work.

Sort of a stupid thread but no reason to hate on Wake like you say. Very nice people, good school, nice area, etc. I guess it would have to be NC St for me. I am looking forward to being conference brethen with you folks, however. Ever since I was in high school (In my mid 30s now) I liked Clemson and attending a game there has been on my to do list. Cheers. You have a great squad this season. Whatever happened to those teams with Spiller/Davis in the backfield?!

I am looking forward to being conference brethen with you folks, however. Ever since I was in high school (In my mid 30s now) I liked Clemson and attending a game there has been on my to do list. Cheers. You have a great squad this season. Whatever happened to those teams with Spiller/Davis in the backfield?!
Thanks as are we. You guys should definitely come to Clemson for the game next year. Tailgating in the south is huge and opposing fans are always welcome.

The teams with Spiller/Davis underachieved big time. Spiller carried Clemson his senior year. I still find it hard to believe we didn't win anything of note when both of them were enrolled.

You can scratch off 6 teams in the Coastal because we just won't play them enough. You can also scratch off Wake because that's not happening.

It will be NC State and BC right off the bat. The Pitt thing could get legs if both teams could be good and interesting at the same time. But that's like trying to see Dusty Rhodes and the Midnight Rider in the same place at the same time. Can't sleep on Louisville I guess, once they're in the fold.

Maryland would have been another good one, but won't work out.

I guess I should remember that SU fans tend to look up at their hate (Penn State & Miami when we were playing both every year and losing most of the time), so maybe Clemson and FSU can sneak in there too. But have to prove we belong on the same football field first.

It'll probably be Louisville and NCSU.

We play Northwestern more than we'll play VTech.

UNC and Duke hoop will always be huge games, not sure about the hate, but I am sure that can change quickly.

I understand what most are saying...however, the OP referred to irrational hatred thus Wake Forest and Virginia would fall into the category...

Again, the hatred for NC St is a rational hatred...

Although he does use Georgetown (who still sucks) and as examples, which are rational hatreds...I guess an irrational hatred example from the Big East would have been USF or someone like that...

I understand what most are saying...however, the OP referred to irrational hatred thus Wake Forest and Virginia would fall into the category...

Again, the hatred for NC St is a rational hatred...

Although he does use Georgetown (who still sucks) and as examples, which are rational hatreds...I guess an irrational hatred example from the Big East would have been USF or someone like that...
We knew what he meant tho...;)

Also...another reason to hate Maryland...they would have been an easy pick for hatred, however I hate them for leaving causing us to have to direct our hatred elsewhere...

Always hated Duke. Always will. Doesn't matter what the sport is.

Buncha privileged preppies attending a school whose name/endowment was derived from tobacco and electricity robber barons.
That could pretty much apply to Virginia too. Plus we have a more established lacrosse rivalry.