Now that we're in the ACC, who should we irrationally despise? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Now that we're in the ACC, who should we irrationally despise?

How do you explain the hatred for Rutgers?
We didn't hate Rutgers until they started to beat us and get the recruits that used to be ours. Losing Ray Rice to them definitely expedited the process. Even then, it wasn't the same hatred we've had for UConn or Georgetown. It was more akin to the way we hate mosquitoes in the spring/summer. We can't stand them, but we know the season will eventually change and they'll become irrelevant.

Virginia kind of makes sense..but they havent been worth anything lately in football. Lax is the obvious tie-in..also our two schools being somewhat similar.

NC State - they copied Texas with the "wolfpack" hand gesture, but they really look like a bunch of Little Red Riding Hoods with their colors. Love this pic, clowns:

ncsu_sitch.jpg

Clemson - the 1st game of the Orange Bowl.

Boston College - I hate everything to do with Boston and it's sports teams. Worst part for BC is that people in Boston don't give a crap about them. The red-headed step-child of the NE.

Forget irrational... The whole point to being in the ACC is having real rivalries again, rational ones with history and teeth. NC State has planted the seed. SPitt, BEagles, and CHokies were all legit rivalries. We only hated Miami like the fat girl hates the prom queen, they owned us unless they were on probation so I don't consider that a rivalry, more like class is now in session type of stuff.

As for Rutgers, it wasn't irrational either. We owned them for decades. P and staff start to fall off, Rutgers beats a couple of weak P teams, P gets fired, Rice goes to Rutgers, they have a winning season, suddenly they come posting on our boards about how they have taken over our place. Their fans are dbags, Schiano was a dbag, and the entire Ath Dept up there is clueless...yet their fans think they are suddenly ready to win the NC despite having 0 tradition and never even winning the conference. Their Ath Dept is douchy, their coach was douchy, and their fans are and will always be douchy. Therefore Rutgers hate is rational. If not for the firing of P and Ray Rice they would probably have been kicked out of the BE ala Temple. That being said, as soon as Schiano was gone I found myself hating them much less, he really was the reason to hate Rutgers above all else.

I just can't bring myself to have the venom I used to for UCONN and Georgetown. Part of the fun of being in a new conference is that we'll establish new rivalries. I know old rivalries with VPI, Miami and BC will be renewed, but I really feel like it will be better to just start hating a team with a completely clean slate, for no real reason. I'm thinking something along the lines of the legendary "Beat Siena" week.

So, I nominate Wake Forest. They're totally nondescript. Their teams are interesting every once in a while. They're the little brother North Carolina team so that's fun. But mostly, I think we'll beat the Hell out of them in hoops and football on a regular basis, and from this day forward, I nominate them as the team we just outright despise.

Anyone with me, or wish to nominate another school?

I would not go making any kind of automatic predictions that you'll run all over Wake, at least in football. As long as Jim Grobe is there, they will be competitive, and, a very tough out, on the football field. UNC sure has struggled with them. And, if you doubt me, just ask Clemson, FSU, and, NCSU fans. Wake has punched above their weight against all of them.

Basketball will be another story. They are flat out bad right now. Their HC, Jeff Bzdelik, was a former NBA HC, but, he's done next to nothing at Wake (34-59). I really believe that they would've been a lot better had Skip Prosser not unexpectedly passed away in 2007. His successor, Dino Gaudio, led them to three 20-win seasons, and, two NCAATs, before he was fired. I don't recall why straight away.

So, just be wary of Wake. They will be capable of upsetting SU if you overlook them.

It'll probably be Louisville and NCSU.

We play Northwestern more than we'll play VTech.

UNC and Duke hoop will always be huge games, not sure about the hate, but I am sure that can change quickly.

I don't see UNC-SU turning ugly in any sport. Both have always had shown great respect towards each other, and, we're thrilled you're in the ACC. The SU fans who came to Chapel Hill for our football game a decade ago were cool to hang out and talk football with. I expect our hoops games to be sold out, 'must see TV' anytime we play. And, the lacrosse will be great, as well.

Yeah, both of our fanbases have their knuckleheads, but, overall, I expect UNC-SU to remain a respectful rivalry across the board.

I don't see UNC-SU turning ugly in any sport. Both have always had shown great respect towards each other, and, we're thrilled you're in the ACC. The SU fans who came to Chapel Hill for our football game a decade ago were cool to hang out and talk football with. I expect our hoops games to be sold out, 'must see TV' anytime we play. And, the lacrosse will be great, as well.

Yeah, both of our fanbases have their knuckleheads, but, overall, I expect UNC-SU to remain a respectful rivalry across the board.

I was at that game...full disclosure I married into a Tar Heel family.

Our hoops game at MSG was a bit heated before we kicked your tail :) but I suspect those will be treated with March Tournament intensity more than a local rival sort of thing.

Seems like the general consensus is NCST on this board. Why you would hate Wake I don't know. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Plus they're also awful in just about every sport. So it's tough to hate a school that not very good. But...you did say hate for no reason so I guess they work.

I agree, as a life-long ACC fan & alumni, nobody really hates Wake. They're the good guys of the group. They do give people issues on the football field but that's it. I think everyone feels sorry for them actually.

As far as NCSU, pretty much everyone hates them because of their obnoxious fans with the inferiority complex. If they would stop worrying about everyone else as much and worry about their own team then they may be tolerable. Until then, they'll just be the laughing stock of the ACC.

It was a fantastic game. Even though we came up a bit short vs SU that day.

Our hoops game at MSG was a bit heated before we kicked your tail :) but I suspect those will be treated with March Tournament intensity more than a local rival sort of thing.

We've both put 'foot-to-arse' against the other over the years. And, yet the rivalry is still one of respect.

Agreed on our games. It'll have the exact same atmosphere as UNC-Duke. But, with larger crowds.

I was at that game too. Fun time, although I was dizzy by the combination of trying to follow both offenses moving the ball on each other at light speed, and dealing with that humidity after being forced to stop drinking once I entered the stadium.

I loved that stadium though, except for one thing. Much of the away section can't see the main scoreboard. Design flaw.

...nobody really hates Wake. They're the good guys of the group.

Wake is too cute and cuddly to hate on.

NCSU seems to be well on their way to cementing the "worst fans in the ACC" void that UMd will be creating next year. If FSU could just stop the What losses to them it would be great.

Surely, as does the rest of the conference, you will soon come to hate Dook; unless you are there already.

Now that we're in the ACC, it would be irrational to despise UConn.

Hating anyone in the ACC is entirely rational.

Absolutely, without a doubt it is NC State, but in full disclosure I must say that the most annoying State fan that I know is originally from Upstate NY. ;)

Now that we're in the ACC, it would be irrational to despise UConn.

Hating anyone in the ACC is entirely rational.

This is wisdom.