Now we can at least we can put the rebounding spin to rest | Syracusefan.com

Now we can at least we can put the rebounding spin to rest

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I've heard it a bit too much this year. Even coach himself talked about it in a very political manner recently. I speak of the "spin" regarding our inability to defensive rebound and how that issue is supposedly a non issue because we make up for it with forcing turnovers, blocks, etc etc.

bs. there is no reason you cant force turnovers and play tough d and still defensive rebound. i swear to god sometimes people just hear some crap and start repeating it and all of a sudden the spin is reality.

folks, this rebounding issue must be fixed or we cannot make a deep tourney run.

that is what this season is about..not winning the putrid big east

There is no evidence that defensive rebounding had much of anything to do with the outcome. Notre Dame averages 1.05 points per possession, they scored 1.07 points per possession tonight. SU defensive rebounding rate for the season is 62.7%, tonight it was 65.4%. The big problem was the offensive, SU averages 1.19 points per possession, but scored just .89 points per possession tonight (the worst performance since Michigan last year and the worst performance in a loss since UConn in 08). But ND also gained about 9 points on their well above average 3 point shooting tonight as well.

I've heard it a bit too much this year. Even coach himself talked about it in a very political manner recently. I speak of the "spin" regarding our inability to defensive rebound and how that issue is supposedly a non issue because we make up for it with forcing turnovers, blocks, etc etc.

bs. there is no reason you cant force turnovers and play tough d and still defensive rebound. i swear to god sometimes people just hear some crap and start repeating it and all of a sudden the spin is reality.

folks, this rebounding issue must be fixed or we cannot make a deep tourney run.

that is what this season is about..not winning the putrid big east

I think I was most disappointed in the actual effort when we were IN good position. Cooley many times just wanted the ball more and took it away from our guys when we actually should have secured the rebound.

There is no evidence that defensive rebounding had much of anything to do with the outcome. Notre Dame averages 1.05 points per possession, they scored 1.07 points per possession tonight. SU defensive rebounding rate for the season is 62.7%, tonight it was 65.4%. The big problem was the offensive, SU averages 1.19 points per possession, but scored just .89 points per possession tonight (the worst performance since Michigan last year and the worst performance in a loss since UConn in 08). But ND also gained about 9 points on their well above average 3 point shooting tonight as well.

The defensive rebounding is bad, but it was also bad in 2003 and we won it all.

I'm not defending it, it infuriates me. But SU is never going to be a good defensive rebounding team as long as we play the zone the way we do now.

I think I was most disappointed in the actual effort when we were IN good position. Cooley many times just wanted the ball more and took it away from our guys when we actually should have secured the rebound.
Elbows and forearms tended to help Cooley. Thug could have fouled out 3 times over if the refs didn't protect him like the second coming of Christian Leattner.

I don't know. Rebounding sure seemed better in 2003 with playing against better competition in the frontcourts back then. ND was hoisting up shots and I never had any confidence we would ever grab a rebound. I don't think I have ever felt this way before. We have D-1 guys with length and size who can't get a freaking rebound. This was one of the worst performances I have seen from SU. Nobody seemed to know What they were doing. Joseph was so freaking bad...unreal for a senior. Zone was busted up quickly by an average team. Baye can't catch anything and we just keep chucking and chucking.

The leading rebounder in 2003 averaged almost double what the current leading rebounder averages, then you combine that with Warrick-Forth-Duany, who between the three were probably good for 15-16 rebs, that's a good start. Our top four starting rebounders probably get like 14 instead of 26; that sucks.

Kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom