Number 44 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Number 44

Would love to see someone with a 6 that's a spinner. What if a 6 turned out to be a 9?

No idea how you'd synchronize front and back though...
Or you could be like Louisville and give all the players 69.

I actually think it would be cool to make it an honorary thing weekly like what VTech did with Beamer's number previously. Hand it out as an award each week to wear it vs giving it out to a specific kid. Thus it essentially remains retired but still is used as a symbol.

I actually think it would be cool to make it an honorary thing weekly like what VTech did with Beamer's number previously. Hand it out as an award each week to wear it vs giving it out to a specific kid. Thus it essentially remains retired but still is used as a symbol.
I wouldn't do it weekly, but maybe if we attain something like a New Years 6 bowl or even the playoffs, and there is a player who is worthy of the number for that special game. And only when the team or team captains vote to let the player wear that number...Make it very special.

Look, if you’re a first year AD who has the opportunity to retire the program’s most legendary number during halftime of your first ever game against FBS upstart USF in the middle of your 1 win season, you take it.

It’s right there in chapter 1 of the AD handbook.

I'd actually like to hear Jim and Floyd's thoughts on the matter.

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse University football legend Jim Brown says he didn't exactly endorse the un-retiring of the No. 44 at Syracuse University but didn't put up a fight when asked about it.

Brown appeared on the "Rich Eisen Show" on Fox Sports Radio on Thursday and was asked about the school bringing the No. 44 down from the rafters.

"I didn't exactly give my blessings," Brown said. "I just didn't complain."

When asked by Eisen what he meant by that, Brown responded: "I didn't talk to anyone before they decided to do it, so they couldn't have my blessings."

"When I did get a call from an executive up there, I didn't make a fuss about it and I told them whatever they wanted to do was OK with me."

Eisen asked Brown what he would have said if he was asked about un-retiring the No. 44.

"To un-retire something, there has to be a commercial aspect to it," Brown said. "So if it's going to help the team commerciall or help a scholarship fund or something like that, then that's good. But for me, to endorse something that takes away something from you, that doesn't make sense. Unless I did something to deserve it. It seems like a punishment to me. I don't take it that way, but it couldn't be a positive thing unless someone explained it so all of us could see the positive aspect of it."

"To un-retire something, there has to be a commercial aspect to it," Brown said. "So if it's going to help the team commerciall or help a scholarship fund or something like that, then that's good. But for me, to endorse something that takes away something from you, that doesn't make sense. Unless I did something to deserve it. It seems like a punishment to me. I don't take it that way, but it couldn't be a positive thing unless someone explained it so all of us could see the positive aspect of it."

I wonder if Eisen asked him what he thought about the commercial aspect of retiring it in the first place as a desperate attempt to sell tickets for the worst team in program history.

To me, in college football, you retire jerseys, not numbers.

The one down the street from me here in MA closed... It was terrible.. Maybe just poor management/chef?

Usually the case with chains is that success or failure comes down to the local operator, and how experienced they are. For instance, there used to be an Outback on Erie Blvd that was simply awful. They closed, but the one in Clay off Route 31 is really quite good.

Same thing with Red Lobster - yes, you can't eat there in any big city where they actually get fresh quality seafood, but here in Syracuse, the quality and freshness of fish is not what it is in coastal cities. Here, the one in Clay, again, is actually pretty decent. The one on Erie is awful.

I wonder if Eisen asked him what he thought about the commercial aspect of retiring it in the first place as a desperate attempt to sell tickets for the worst team in program history.

To me, in college football, you retire jerseys, not numbers.
That's exactly what I thought.

Should we give Adams the number next year?

If he is a really good player - a star RB - yes, why not.

It would be a great story and would bring attention to the Program on a national basis.

You don't trash brands - you keep them alive and you allow them to facilitate attention and growth.

Using 44 was a neat recruiting tradition once, but it's long dead now. What bugs me (a little) is who's the 44 up in the "rafters" for? All the 44's or just the big 3. Shouldn't there be (3) 44's up there if it's just for the big 3? ...and the garbage bag look of them is awful. Maybe there will be an upgrade with the new roof.

"Using 44 was a neat recruiting tradition once, but it's long dead now"

How do you know that?

Are you suggesting that young players today would not find the legends of Brown, Davis, Little and even Owens and Konrad interesting or intriguing?

Between the original topic and the Carraba’s sub-theme possibly one of 2018’s more ridiculous threads.

"Using 44 was a neat recruiting tradition once, but it's long dead now"

How do you know that?

Are you suggesting that young players today would not find the legends of Brown, Davis, Little and even Owens and Konrad interesting or intriguing?
No, they want to wear their own numbers that they've worn their whole life.

No, they want to wear their own numbers that they've worn their whole life.

That seems a little absolute. And likely to conflict with others on the team.

44 should never die. If a kid learns the history and wants to wear it, great. If that doesn't happen for 10 years, it doesn't mean it has to be in the rafters forever (or in this case, 7 years between Konrad playing and Gross doing ticket promotions).

That seems a little absolute. And likely to conflict with others on the team.

44 should never die. If a kid learns the history and wants to wear it, great. If that doesn't happen for 10 years, it doesn't mean it has to be in the rafters forever (or in this case, 7 years between Konrad playing and Gross doing ticket promotions).

Right. I agree.

When the right kid learns about the history of the number and has the ability and drive to do it, he should be given the chance to wear No. 44.

It's good for the Program - it is a story.

And awarding the number would embrace the original idea - that the No. 44 jersey should be a living tribute the GOAT - Jim Brown.

Last edited:
Right. I agree.

When the right kid learns about the history of the number and has the ability and drive to do it, he should be given the chance to wear No. 44.

It's good for the Program - it is a story.

And awarding the number would embrace the original idea - that the No. 44 jersey be a living tribute the GOAT - Jim Brown.

And while one thing might not be related to the other, the last time we consistently filled that Dome was when a 44 was blocking and running. It was a player that people wanted to see (among others).

I just don't understand why anyone would want to drop the possibility of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom