NYT: "Jump to Big 10 is a Big Flop for Rutgers" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NYT: "Jump to Big 10 is a Big Flop for Rutgers"

All it takes is one bad coaching hire to run your program into the ground.

And all it takes is one good coaching hire to bring your program back up.

I don't care for Rutgers but they can turn it around with a good hire once they get rid of Ash. I hate how people act like it's impossible to go up when you're down at the bottom.

If I was a Rutgers fan, I would be pissed that I have to wait until 2021 to get a full share. The ACC didn’t make Pitt or SU wait.

It is a lot worse than the public realizes.

Jump to Big Ten Is a Big Flop for Rutgers

I am not in schadenfreude but Rutgers makes watching them fail fun.

Anyway, Rutgers is a failure starting in the board room. The reality of Rutgers problems starts with unrealistic expectations, unrealistic planning, unrealistic management, etc.

The financial problems are only a symptom of a faulty mentality/reasoning that money fixes everything. This mentality misses the points that 1) money has to come from some where; and, 2) money has to be spent wisely to be effective. Neither point has been addressed by Rutgers.

Rutgers AD is a money pit, taking money from student fees, the general fund and the State. AD should always be run with the idea that they musty be or become self funding. Running a deficit for a short term may be acceptable for a time, but must always come into balance or run in the black. SU's AD (Vandy, Duke, Northwestern) is probably an ideal model (I chose SU over USC and ND as they are a level above in alumni donations and such) as they run in the black, borrow only when it is justified (which frustrates us fans from time to time) but never abuses the students and fans, beyond ticket prices. Contract that with Rutgers who cannot support or live within their means. Had this been a person, you or I, we would be bankrupt. However, being a state agency, they have no need to be accountable for actual money management. Until the Board or the State puts their foot down, Rutgers will spend like a drunk sailor.

To compound the matter, Rutgers fails to spend money wisely, where it will build a return first. I understand that the B`1G requires Rutgers to get their facilities up to par but having a real plan, one that will help the financial situation as well as address compliance issues is the proper way to manage their resources. Adding to the problem is the manner in which they handle personnel and have ridiculous contracts. Knowing their situation, they should take chances with lesser known personnel who show promise. Instead they treat unknows who may have potential or have poor histories and grant them payouts that are above their means. When an ASH situation or their former AD and their hoops coach, etc. get fired, they incur the full force of their foolishness paying huge buyouts for people that should never had the contract to begin with.

Apologies for being long winded. But it couldn't happen to a more deserving program.

If I was a Rutgers fan, I would be pissed that I have to wait until 2021 to get a full share. The ACC didn’t make Pitt or SU wait.

When someone is handing you a life preserver... I think the Big 10 was in the power position in these negotiations even though they wanted the "market that Rutgers brought"

Does anyone here in the brain trust know how much federal research money the B1G procures and spreads around to its member institutions? It dwarfs the athletic budget. The New York Times is of no value on any subject.
They don’t share grant dollars. They share the research. Rutgers gets very little grant money comparatively as they are not a deep research institution.

They don’t share grant dollars. They share the research. Rutgers gets very little grant money comparatively as they are not a deep research institution.
They get to share in research with some very prestigious and politically powerful institutions. That is well worth the money it costs them to put teams on the field to be part of that club. More than worth it.

Rutgers is exactly what the big 10-11-12, whatever, wanted -- a MAC team from the east that was easy to beat up on.

They get to share in research with some very prestigious and politically powerful institutions. That is well worth the money it costs them to put teams on the field to be part of that club. More than worth it.
They share research, not research funding. Helps even less when you don’t have a robust research program, like Rutgers. You’re gonna have to trust me on this. Rutgers does very little applied research, especially when you consider what they could/should be doing. As for politics, are you talking about B1G politics? State politics? I don’t understand a political angle.

They share research, not research funding. Helps even less when you don’t have a robust research program, like Rutgers. You’re gonna have to trust me on this. Rutgers does very little applied research, especially when you consider what they could/should be doing. As for politics, are you talking about B1G politics? State politics? I don’t understand a political angle.
Washington politics. Don't the BOT's of these schools have contacts with each other and have wealthy alumni who might need political help for funding and other business concerns? I can't conceive of how this is a net negative for Rutgers.

Washington politics. Don't the BOT's of these schools have contacts with each other and have wealthy alumni who might need political help for funding and other business concerns? I can't conceive of how this is a net negative for Rutgers.
Other than their reputation and their sports teams, it's not.

Grants aren’t just given, they are applied for and won. They are won by researchers and facilities, both of which Rutgers doesn’t have. Handing out tax payer money as a political favor because you know a BOT member? Do you know that Donna Shalala, former secretary of HSS and president of Miami has two degrees from Syracuse? If what you suggest wasn’t the makings of a HUGE scandal, wouldn’t both of those schools be rolling in federal grant money? Very little of what you’re saying or suggesting makes sense or has merit.
That said, B1G membership has huge potential for Rutgers, they just have absolutely no idea how to correctly tap it. Instead, they are throwing money at athletic facilities for bad teams, and ignoring the academic research facilities and strategic hires that would gain them actual respect. This is part of my business. Trust that I am aware of what I’m saying.

How can you extend a coach based on two 4 - 8 seasons? Not possible. This year, there is not the slightest hesitation. After all, when it comes down to it, wins REALLY matter.

Most of us could see the improvement and could see where this was headed. Didn’t have to be an especially astute football guy to see it either.

Most had next year as the full breakthrough, not this year though.

Only a few(like you) wanted to downplay and question the guy at every single turn.

Grants aren’t just given, they are applied for and won. They are won by researchers and facilities, both of which Rutgers doesn’t have. Handing out tax payer money as a political favor because you know a BOT member? Do you know that Donna Shalala, former secretary of HSS and president of Miami has two degrees from Syracuse? If what you suggest wasn’t the makings of a HUGE scandal, wouldn’t both of those schools be rolling in federal grant money? Very little of what you’re saying or suggesting makes sense or has merit.
That said, B1G membership has huge potential for Rutgers, they just have absolutely no idea how to correctly tap it. Instead, they are throwing money at athletic facilities for bad teams, and ignoring the academic research facilities and strategic hires that would gain them actual respect. This is part of my business. Trust that I am aware of what I’m saying.

What you are really saying is that Rutger is really good at screwing up everything, not just athletics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom