Observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Observations

It does. But would you keep passing to some of the guys? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm being serious.

Again, Mintz has a lot to work on, no doubt.

But how many times are you going to pass it to Chris Bell?
I get Mintz has to score for this team to be successful, but I also don’t think he’s done the greatest job getting our guys easy shots when he has them. I’m speaking on fast breaks, or when there’s 2-3 guys guarding him on the way to the hoop.

If he’s on a break and has Bell, Taylor, Starling, Copeland, and/or Benny running with him I’d prefer he pass to them to give them an easy to bucket to build their confidence. I’m not pretending they are great players, but there’s more Mintz can do to build up his guys. That’s what your best players should do. It might be a minor complaint, but that’s the next step I’d like to see him take.

Last edited:
I'd get rid of this de facto starting lineup, and just go with Judah, JJ, Q, Benny, Brown to start games. Let them continue to build chemistry.
I'm all about replacing Naheem in the starting lineup with Maliq, but I worry about the lack of outside shooting with those five. Any coach who doesn't play exclusively zone against that lineup should be fired on the spot.

I’d keep one of Taylor/Bell in the lineup and have them play alongside Copeland. Keep McLeod in as the token starter for 10 MPG.

I have to laugh a bit at the amount of fans wanting to have certain guys never see the court because when if JB was the coach we would have 3 guys pushing 40mpg, McLeod would play the first minute of each half, and Cuffe or Taylor would never play. We would have a defacto 6.5 man rotation and the entire board would be complaining about guys getting too many undeserved minutes.

I get Mintz has to score for this team to be successful, but I also don’t think he’s done the greatest job getting our guys easy shots when he has them. I’m speaking on fast breaks, or when there’s 2-3 guys guarding him on the way to the hoop.

If he’s on a break and has Bell, Taylor, Starling, Copeland, and/or Benny running with him I’d prefer he pass to them to give them an easy to bucket to build their confidence. I’m not pretending they are great players, but there’s more Mintz can do to build up his guys. That’s what your best players should do. It might be a minor complaint, but that’s the next step I’d like to see him take.
You used to have players like Flynn, to Devo, to Andy for an open 3.

I'm all about replacing Naheem in the starting lineup with Maliq, but I worry about the lack of outside shooting with those five. Any coach who doesn't play exclusively zone against that lineup should be fired on the spot.
Teams usually play a sort of packed in version of man to man against that group and it totally stifles them in a half court situation. One guy dribbles into heavy traffic since they are so packed in, he kicks it out, the guy he kicks it out to is a terrible shooter who also does not like to shoot so he just dribble drives again into that same traffic. Cycle repeats until the shot clock gets low and Judah or Q attempt a miracle. That was our offense as duke pulled away in the second half. Occasional moments from some of them, but usually any of those 5 guys shooting a jumper is a win for the defense. Need to have one of our shooters out there even if we can't stand their flaws.

I'd like to see us create better looks from deep. We rely too much on Judah penetrating and kicking or Bell and Taylor creating their own shot, which they aren't equipped to do. I think we could get a little more out of Naheem if he did some off-ball screening for Bell and JT to force defenses to rotate instead of just utilizing Naheem in ballscreens/P&R and letting shooters camp out.

I'd also like to see Red take advantage of Benny's athleticism and Maliq's newfound range by having Maliq set backscreens resulting in lob opportunities. I know that sounds like wishful thinking coming off a bad turnover game, but I think it's very doable.

Bell and Taylor are very good shooters, when they're open. Against better teams, they have to force shots to get any at all. I think with Cope in the line-up, one of them might at least get some looks on shots on fast breaks caused by steals. That is, if the guy with the ball would pass it to them.

Bell and Taylor are very good shooters, when they're open. Against better teams, they have to force shots to get any at all. I think with Cope in the line-up, one of them might at least get some looks on shots on fast breaks caused by steals. That is, if the guy with the ball would pass it to them.
There were times where Taylor had the space yesterday to shoot and he didn't. So it's not just about being open or getting them open, he needs to shoot the ball. Bell doesnt have that issue, of course, he has issues on every other facet of basketball.

I wish there was a way to combine Bell's ability to need very little space to get his shot off with Taylor's everything else (rebounding, defense, etc.).

Our best lineup last night was Mintz/JJ/Copeland/Taylor/Brown. That should be the starting lineup.

What exactly did Taylor do that impressed you?

He plays defense (look at the entire game not the 3 times he had to 1v1 Flip and nobody can do that) and rebounds (even if he doesn't get the rebound he almost always puts his body on someone). Plays within the confines of the "team".

On offense, he moves around, doesn't hold the ball, and doesn't force up shots like other players. Would I like him to score more yes of course but in an ISO system he isn't going to be able to score or get off good looks. He needs his offense created for him and that is fine as long as he knows his limits and doesn't force things up. For him to be successful on offense he would need a system like UVA, not an ISO system. In our current version of the ISO system, the offense will be controlled and created by our guards.

The value and consistency he brings on, especially on the defense side of the ball is better than any other forward on the team outside of Copeland (even he can be really inconsistent).

He has a good basketball IQ and rarely makes massive mistakes which again comes back to the consistency and he is someone Red can rely on to almost always make the correct play which is why Red plays him the most.

it seems red has continued the promise of starting to certain folks, ala JB. Not ideal, and if they don't get the quick hook when they don't have it, then we are almost always starting both halves behind the eight ball.

Its like when you were in college playing intramurals with your floor buddies.. You could play the game and pass the ball and make people happy and lose or you could try to do everything and maybe win a few times.
Mintz needs to find that happy medium , and sometimes its not about just passing, its passing at the right time to the right spot.. Copeland is still learning that. Guys need to be ready and the pass needs to be catchable unless special is required.

But really the amount of dumb entry passes we tried to make last night really killed us.. you cant make 10-15 of those in a game.

We’ve got to get better. There are going to be a lot of teams knocking on Browns door to try to get him to transfer. He’s a winning player that could be even more of a force on a good tournament team.

bell is currently 43rd in the ACC in 3pt% (.353).
Who else I this team would you have confidence in shooting even a moderately contested three?

If the orange don't win the ACC tournament ( won't happen, never get wins in the tournament) cuse wont be dancing. Lights years away from being in the field. Its embarrassing that Cuse hasn't had a Q1 win since 2021, and I don't see that happening this year either

Mintz - me first player. Talented but not a winning player. Hey judah, when your team is down by 11 and you make a shot, that aint the time to stare down the opponent.

Starling - a 2 guard who cant shoot. Not ideal.

Mcleod - literally did not belong on the same court as duke. He should not be starting unless we’re playing Cupcake University

Taylor - you know how in football they talk about wide receivers creating seperation? Well taylor creates ZERO seperation. No matter what he did with the ball, a duke defender was as close to him as the close talker from seinfeld.

Bell - he makes the same mistakes i made playing ball in 5th grade. By the 6th grade i learned not to leave my feet with the ball and have no idea what to do with it and chuck it outside to a covered teammate. Unfortunately hes the only guy i have any confidence could hit a couple 3s in a row so we need him.

Copeland - if michael jordan and magic johnson had a kid he thinks it would be him. Unfortunately hes not. Stop with the flashy passes and 360 layups and play smart and youll be great.

Brown - always in the right place at the right time. Winning player. Knows his game, knows his role, and plays it well.

Williams - i like his game. He needs to play more and just hope everything clicks for him and he can be more consistent. We need him.

Overall its a more talented and athletic team than recent years, but frustrating and dumb as hell. And cant shoot, which will ultimately be our downfall. I think the ceiling for this is beiny squarely on the bubble in march.
Agree with most of this. Maybe not the harshness of every point. Like McLeod — he really has not been good lately, but i still think there's more potential not being shown. I have a complete lack of trust in the staff toward getting it out of him. He has 'fixed' a couple of glaring early season problems, but then has regressed against better competition lately in other areas. Should he be starting? Yeah. I just hate seeing Maliq at Center. Brown can score 20, get 5 pokes, and still get abused by the opposing center. Since we're used to having both Bell and Taylor on the court, starting, and not scoring, i'd like to see a lineup of McLeod/Hima, Brown at 4, Benny 3, JJ 2, Mintz 1. Unfortunately, that's a really bad team from 3, but it should be defensively okay and strong at rebounding.

Mintz... is not a point guard. He either makes non-playmaking passes on the perimeter, or he's going for his own. Q is the better setup guy, but he's lost in his own personality, which is just a weird way of saying he enjoys the flash more than the 2 points... which is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

JJ — i really am confused. I don't quite understand how shoulder issues could be ameliorated by the shot form he's currently employing. It's just whack. And yesterday, i swear it looked like he was taking a Cooneyesque leaning three from the corner, when it was completely not necessary.

Essentially—and i'm not going to be a masochist and rewatch any of that—it seemed like Duke got a lot of easy shots, and all of our shots were quite difficult, aside from a couple of Maliq dunks. We don't get separation—Taylor or Bell—against good defensive teams, and we don't have the schemes/plays or playmaking from the PG to create good looks for anyone. Bell's shots seem to come when a guy is right there in front of him but maybe a bit fooled into not thinking he's going to shoot, because... he's not really open. Mintz' 3s sometimes are open, sometimes are desperation heaves, and/or he's trying to draw a foul. And they look like his body is sideways. Starling takes shots i want him to take, but i don't know why he can't shoot as well as he did in previous years. Unless i'm completely fooled by the nature of highlight 'tape.'

Benny just needs to play more. Unfotunately, he's his own obstacle. Not sure why he didn't play more, and earlier yesterday, though. Kinda like Red forgot he wasn't still on double top secret probation. Or maybe he was. Maybe Benny shat in his shoe or somesuch. We just don't know. We don't have the technology.

Cuffe is a mixed bag. Sometimes looks like he deserves minutes, sometimes not so much. Seems to be dependent upon quality of opponent. Maybe he's not an ACC level guy after all? Not giving up on him, and maybe he needs another year. I thought, from the early promise, that he was going to have more impact. Maybe that's still to come.

I guess this team is pretty much what i expected it to be. We'd beat some people because we have some talent and can play fast and crazy, and we'd get blasted when we're forced to play too fast and crazy and the crazy turns into stupid. I thought we'd have Chance by now. I really hope he gets fully better before he gets into games. I really don't want to see any setbacks or him having to do this all over again.

Back to Red... Jury's still out, as everything is an incomplete project, but... So, yes, he did completely change half of our team scheme by taking us from zone to M2M. And i applaud/appreciate that. But, we're not a good man team, and i don't like the frequent comments that it's because he doesn't have "his guys" yet. D2 schools have lesser players, with freshmen and transfers, and they still know how to play that defense. What i feared is what is reality—we have a staff that is a relic of the JB era, and they haven't learned the new tricks. Or, they can't teach the new tricks. It's not much different than if we played man under JB in spurts, except we're more athletic than in the Buddy/Jimmy year(s), and we ostensibly have practiced it and committed to it more. But, we're not more skilled at it than that. Worrying. I'm not really seeing what Red is doing better, and then i have to look down and see that we beat Georgetown and Pitt. So, i'm giving him some space. But, the eye test still has me worried.

There were times where Taylor had the space yesterday to shoot and he didn't. So it's not just about being open or getting them open, he needs to shoot the ball. Bell doesnt have that issue, of course, he has issues on every other facet of basketball.
Yes. He has a mild case of Lydon's Syndrome

The comments in this thread will describe our losses this season and the comments after the Pitt, (or LSU, Georgetown or Oregon) games will describe our victories.

Agree completely with OP. Mintz is not a winning player. Talented, no question. But It's all about him.

I think this is what some feared when he came back - that he'd be auditioning for the league, rather than playing to help Syracuse win.

I would actually put Copeland in this same boat, but in a different way. Every single error he made last night was because of someone else. He complained about someone not being ready for a pass, that had a expected completion percentage of about 20%.

He has improved, and he is effective - and I am not suggesting he is a losing player in the same way Mintz is. But his attitude and "it's everyone else's fault and it isn't me" - that stuff doesn't fly with me.
Almost never do fans know what is actually being said on the court between players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom