Observations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Observations

All of this criticism of Judah is pathetic. Where would this team be without him, shortcomings and all. The fact of te matter is that he’s improved his numbers in every category from last season. Do your research. In the conference he’s currently 3rd in scoring, 1st in steals, 1st in FTA and FTM, 9th in assists, 20th in FT%, 17th in FG% (slightly better than RJ Davis). He’s in the POY conversation, on the Wooden Award Watch List, The Bob Cousy Watch list and another watch list I can’t remember. To label him as selfish is to not really know him. Coach Red and the coaching staff don’t think he’s selfish, nor does his teammates. His HOF coach at Oak Hill, Steve Smith doesn’t think he’s selfish, and NBA analysts, evaluators, and broadcasters don’t think he’s selfish either. So your flawed opinion carries very little weight, and makes you seem like a Judah hater. Bottom line is that without Judah this team would be in a world of hurt, even in the losses. Take Duke for example. He had 18 points, 6 assists, 4 steals, and 5 rebounds. He played hard and competed. He can’t account for the non production of some of his teammates. He can only control what he can control. If we get some outside shooting he could get in the driving lanes much easier. He sometimes forces things with success and sometimes without success, but he almost has to. As for being selfish, he had a wide open 3 point opportunity at the top of the key in the Duke game but swung it to Q. I personally think he should have shot it. He had a steal and gave a lob to Maliq when he could have taken the shot himself. He passed to JJ for a 3 ball and Bell a couple of times too, but regrettably he didn’t convert. He also found Maliq a few times, in which one he failed to convert. You put Judah on a more talented team and he would look more like a point guard that all you critiques believe he should be. For this team he’s a lead guard because they rely so heavily on his ability to score. And finally, Judah is not auditioning for the NBA, if he was he’d be shooting a lot more 3s, but he plays the right way like he’s always done.

Our leading rebounder.
And I think he's victim #1 of selfish basketball, kid is a talented baller ready to play a key role. That others haven't got it out of him is a collective injustice

All of this criticism of Judah is pathetic. Where would this team be without him, shortcomings and all. The fact of te matter is that he’s improved his numbers in every category from last season. Do your research. In the conference he’s currently 3rd in scoring, 1st in steals, 1st in FTA and FTM, 9th in assists, 20th in FT%, 17th in FG% (slightly better than RJ Davis). He’s in the POY conversation, on the Wooden Award Watch List, The Bob Cousy Watch list and another watch list I can’t remember. To label him as selfish is to not really know him. Coach Red and the coaching staff don’t think he’s selfish, nor does his teammates. His HOF coach at Oak Hill, Steve Smith doesn’t think he’s selfish, and NBA analysts, evaluators, and broadcasters don’t think he’s selfish either. So your flawed opinion carries very little weight, and makes you seem like a Judah hater. Bottom line is that without Judah this team would be in a world of hurt, even in the losses. Take Duke for example. He had 18 points, 6 assists, 4 steals, and 5 rebounds. He played hard and competed. He can’t account for the non production of some of his teammates. He can only control what he can control. If we get some outside shooting he could get in the driving lanes much easier. He sometimes forces things with success and sometimes without success, but he almost has to. As for being selfish, he had a wide open 3 point opportunity at the top of the key in the Duke game but swung it to Q. I personally think he should have shot it. He had a steal and gave a lob to Maliq when he could have taken the shot himself. He passed to JJ for a 3 ball and Bell a couple of times too, but regrettably he didn’t convert. He also found Maliq a few times, in which one he failed to convert. You put Judah on a more talented team and he would look more like a point guard that all you critiques believe he should be. For this team he’s a lead guard because they rely so heavily on his ability to score. And finally, Judah is not auditioning for the NBA, if he was he’d be shooting a lot more 3s, but he plays the right way like he’s always done.

Did you see my post? I think a lot of people would generally agree with your sentiments.

One note, I'd be easy on critiquing Maliq. Maliq is probably our second-best player and has the highest bball IQ on the team, imo.

As I've written, Judah has to be selfish, especially when guys like Bell, JT, etc aren't doing squat. Basically what you wrote.

But a good leader has to help raise the floor of all the players. I get that he isn't superman and the players we got have to step up, but let's just take it game by game.

This team is incomplete. Judah has to carry a heavy burden. With that said, the best players on teams all do.

BTW, he will be fine shooting threes in the NBA once he gets NBA coaching. I don't get this obsession with thinking Judah has to all of a sudden try to be Steph Curry in college. That's not his game.

There's a million people on this board, don't sweat the criticism. It's an internet fan message board. Most people here support Judah pretty vocally. He's part of the Cuse family.

Did you see my post? I think a lot of people would generally agree with your sentiments.

One note, I'd be easy on critiquing Maliq. Maliq is probably our second-best player and has the highest bball IQ on the team, imo.

As I've written, Judah has to be selfish, especially when guys like Bell, JT, etc aren't doing squat. Basically what you wrote.

But a good leader has to help raise the floor of all the players. I get that he isn't superman and the players we got have to step up, but let's just take it game by game.

This team is incomplete. Judah has to carry a heavy burden. With that said, the best players on teams all do.

BTW, he will be fine shooting threes in the NBA once he gets NBA coaching. I don't get this obsession with thinking Judah has to all of a sudden try to be Steph Curry in college. That's not his game.

There's a million people on this board, don't sweat the criticism. It's an internet fan message board. Most people here support Judah pretty vocally. He's part of the Cuse family.
Excellent post.

Judah is a Sophomore as well without the benefit of an upperclassman/men who are proven players. We wish he was the best passer shooter defender, etc. because we need him to be that all the time. Its a heavy lift for a point guard. SU has relied heavily on a Small Forward for success in the past. We do not have a proven forward in our cupboard that can do anything that takes the burden of Judah's shoulders.

Judah is a great guard for SU as a sophomore. To bad we will not have him here as a Junior. lets hope his play gets us to the NCAA's this year.

There are a lot of negatives on this board that constantly harp on players. But there are also a lot of posters that are positive, supportive, without an agenda and all around SU FANS first.

He beat GTown both times. Cant never take that away.

Go CUSE.

Judah is a great guard for SU as a sophomore. To bad we will not have him here as a Junior. lets hope his play gets us to the NCAA's this year.
With NIL and lack of draft buzz I don’t think it’s at all crazy for him to come back. He’s been out played by many players who aren’t on the draft radar, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he comes back.

Somebody has to leave if our two recruits want to come on board. Red does not expect Judah to come back. Moore shoots the ball better than anyone currently on this team. Freeman gives us an all around front court player. We need other additions too.

Somebody has to leave if our two recruits want to come on board. Red does not expect Judah to come back. Moore shoots the ball better than anyone currently on this team. Freeman gives us an all around front court player. We need other additions too.
I'm sure there will be some attrition. There always is. A team of Maliq, Freeman, JJ, Cope, and a portal shooter would be pretty dreamy, but I have a feeling that the main roster is pretty much set for next year with Chance replacing Judah in the starting lineup and Cuffe/Moore off the bench.

If this is his mom, best to just not reply

the 4 C's might be a good place to start

I'm sure there will be some attrition. There always is. A team of Maliq, Freeman, JJ, Cope, and a portal shooter would be pretty dreamy, but I have a feeling that the main roster is pretty much set for next year with Chance replacing Judah in the starting lineup and Cuffe/Moore off the bench.
doubt the roster is set for next year

we dont even know how this season is going to play out

Where would the team be without him? That’s a good question. Based off the first nine minutes of the game last night, the movement and shot selection on offense was significantly better. You’ve complained about the offense for two years and blamed two different head coaches. Yet the common denominator is Mintz. When he came into the game last night, the offense went right back to the same old, boring and ineffective ISO ball in the half court. If not for all of the forced turnovers and fast break points, BC may have come back a lot sooner.

So where would the team be without him? Maybe the record would be the same, maybe it would be a little worse. I doubt it would be better. I do think the overall development of the team would be better without him, though. Standing around watching Mintz dribbling and forcing his way to the free throw line (where his shooting percentage should be higher) isn’t helping anyone learn anything.

You say Mintz isn’t selfish and that he’s a team player. OK, great. For the rest of the season, I expect he won’t be violating any more team rules, pointing his finger at teammates when he makes a mistake, or forcing the issue on offense. I expect that - as a leader - he’ll help keep Williams focused and engaged. I also expect - after seeing them play without him - he’ll trust his teammates more. I hope I’m not expecting too much.

And finally, Judah is not auditioning for the NBA, if he was he’d be shooting a lot more 3s, but he plays the right way like he’s always done.
Of course he is. He came back another year because he was told he wasn't ready. Therefore, this whole year is an audition. There isn't anything wrong with that, unless he plays for his own stats rather than team ball. As for shooting more 3s, I think someone got through to him that he should take less. It would be far better to take good 3s that can help his 3pt % rather than just heaving up shots and finishing the year 30%. I believe Judah's willingness to take less 3s is more out of wanting a higher percentage than him being unselfish, but either way, I'm happy with the amount of shots he's taking from deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom