OC Candidates | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OC Candidates

Lots of uncertainty with hiring coordinators (or aspiring coordinators)to be head coaches because they have to scramble. Hopefully we do better than Pariani, McF'it, and Spence.

Of those 3, at least Spence had been a coordinator before. His problem was that he was creepy and all he ran were tunnel screens.

I would hope we don't hire a first time coordinator because they have a reputation as a recruiter. That's how we get quotes like "**** it, I called the bubble screen with 1 blocker against 3 defenders inside our own 5 yard line"

Of those 3, at least Spence had been a coordinator before. His problem was that he was creepy and all he ran were tunnel screens.

I would hope we don't hire a first time coordinator because they have a reputation as a recruiter. That's how we get quotes like "**** it, I called the bubble screen with 1 blocker against 3 defenders inside our own 5 yard line"
McF'it was a coordinator for cubit but that was probably in name only

Tim Lester could come back

Reactions: CIL
I'm hoping it is. Clean house. If any of the former coaches want to interview they can, but no one should be guaranteed a position.

Fact of the matter is we don't have an "ace recruiter" on the current staff we're losing, and we don't really have any innovative position coaches/coordinators either.

Nunzio is interviewing for HC roles, so he's not staying as a OC, no matter how many times it gets posted, nor should be get the OC position.

Beck hasn't shown enough to stay as OC, and with a new QB in 2024 needed, why keep him?

Outside of those two is there anyone we REALLY want to keep?
Sean Edinger, obviously

Weird that Robinson was DL coach AND run game coordinator. Seems like an odd combination of responsibilities. But you’re right. The crossover with HCFB seems like he would at least be on his radar.
"Run game coordinator" is just a job title that teams use to "promote" someone and pay them more money. You wind up with guys on a defensive staff with a position + recruiting coordinator, co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, second assistant to the co defensive coordinator for 3rd downs blah blah blah.

Lots of uncertainty with hiring coordinators (or aspiring coordinators)to be head coaches because they have to scramble. Hopefully we do better than Pariani, McF'it, and Spence.
This should’ve factored into John’s decision to hire Frannie.

Curious without taking the time to look it up because someone here will know the answer or look it up for me. Busy day today. Were Nunzio and Brown together at Rutgers at the same time by any chance?

Yes, they split up NJ for recruiting.

You have to look for coaches that were around at the various schools when he was around. I posted the other day, Glenn Thomas, an offensive asst with the Steelers this year (his 1st year). Here is his resume, he was with Fran at Temple and Baylor with Ruhle

View attachment 234097
That would be a pretty good candidate.

I can't believe I'm saying this but...all the coaches can't be NJ guys right? That seems like overkill. I'll wait and see what the final staff is.

Yeah, I want Philly guys, Va/Md guys, and people with relationships in SC/GA/FL.
While I'm at it, how about somebody for Ohio and Michigan, too.

As a life long SU and Steeler fan it would be just my luck somehow, Matt Canada becomes a candidate. That, just in case you don’t know, is my deepest darkest fear until someone (anyone) else is officially announced as OC.

I’d be all for Tim Lester being OC. He’s familiar with Cuse, was probably our best assistant when he was here, responsible for landing Dungey, was a pretty good recruiter when he was here, had D1 head coaching experience, a great dude and can coach QBs. Currently an analyst with the Packers, he’d cost a pretty penny but we wouldn’t have to break the bank for him. I think he’d be a great hire and is a realistic hire. He can recruit the Midwest as well.

When you decide to go way outside the box with the HC hire - a decision I FULLY support FWIW - part of thinking and planning is to spend the necessary $$$ to get the best OC and DC that Brown can recruit. JW is very astute, connected and well advised. I'm sure the salary requirements have been baked into the process as part of the hiring decision that lead to Brown.

Jimmy Sexton took on Brown as a client. The process to vet the OC/DC potential hires were likely already in motion because Sexton would certainly know that those questions would be a big part of the sell during the interview process. I imagine that a part of the "over 25 contacts" JW had with Brown in the days leading up to the formal announcement were about this topic.

I’d be all for Tim Lester being OC. He’s familiar with Cuse, was probably our best assistant when he was here, responsible for landing Dungey, was a pretty good recruiter when he was here, had D1 head coaching experience, a great dude and can coach QBs. Currently an analyst with the Packers, he’d cost a pretty penny but we wouldn’t have to break the bank for him. I think he’d be a great hire and is a realistic hire. He can recruit the Midwest as well.
I would be cool with that and we need to pound the Midwest (so much talent)

Wait do we pound recruiting or just the portal, I can’t keep up, lol

Didnt love his offense under schaffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom