OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out.

The choose your own adventure route running always seemed to confuse players. How many times did Queeley look like he wasn’t expecting a ball thrown to him this year?

I think Sean just took a dump on Sterlin's grave

Celebrity_a31781_727304.jpg

Another indication that Dino lost the team and let a clown like Gilbert ruin the offensive. Where were the reverses, the trick plays or anything except bad playcalling with a banged up OL. So glad SG is gonzo!
Lather, rinse, repeat. You can keep saying that Dino lost the team...but it doesn't make it true. I was actually impressed with how hard the team played all season.

You can question the play calling, game management and poor special teams but,IMO, the team's effort was never in doubt.

The choose your own adventure route running always seemed to confuse players. How many times did Queeley look like he wasn’t expecting a ball thrown to him this year?
I’m beating a dead horse here but other than the oline this was by far our biggest issue

Oline made some big strides the 1st 9 games. Why Schmidt was up for an award. Being a little banged up didn't help at the end - but its still an excuse. Some hope here.
Don’t disagree. The pass protection is awful. The run blocking was ok. The ability to pick up stunts and overloads was awful. The right side was really bad at the end. The center/QB exchange was unacceptable.

Don’t disagree. The pass protection is awful. The run blocking was ok. The ability to pick up stunts and overloads was awful. The right side was really bad at the end. The center/QB exchange was unacceptable.
Thats fair. With all the cr@p folks gave Vett? He was decent over there. Pass pro took a dive, after that. Run blocking was mostly GOOD in the first 9.

I think this is the Schmidt influence. Run is the easiest to fix, imo. Bleich was a help. Stunts and overloads have been killing us since 19. I think this takes longer to fix - it was NON EXISTENT in 19. My money is on Schmidt to improve the unit in this area.

C could be an issue next year.

Thats fair. With all the cr@p folks gave Vett? He was decent over there. Pass pro took a dive, after that. Run blocking was mostly GOOD in the first 9.

I think this is the Schmidt influence. Run is the easiest to fix, imo. Bleich was a help. Stunts and overloads have been killing us since 19. I think this takes longer to fix - it was NON EXISTENT in 19. My money is on Schmidt to improve the unit in this area.

Totally agree on Schmidt. Cav technique really messed these guys up

Not a good sign
I actually saw this as a good sign. It seems obvious that Tucker is not sad to see Gilbert go. Hopefully our new OC will quickly establish a positive connection with our star RB and offer him reassurance about his featured role in the new offense. It would be helpful to name a new OC sooner rather than later, and remove the temptation for Tucker to get lured into the portal.

Rankings of players grades for run and pass blocking if they had a significant number of snaps for run or pass blocking plays at OL, TE, RB, FB

Pass blocking
Bergeron
Elmore
Ellis
Davis
Vett
Bleich
Servais
Tucker
Llaoa
Tisdale

Run blocking
Bergeron
Bleich
Elmore
Vett
Davis
Llaoa
Ellis
Benson
Tisdale
Servais
Mang

Rankings of players grades for run and pass blocking if they had a significant number of snaps for run or pass blocking plays at OL, TE, RB, FB

Pass blocking
Bergeron
Elmore
Ellis
Davis
Vett
Bleich
Servais
Tucker
Llaoa
Tisdale

Run blocking
Bergeron
Bleich
Elmore
Vett
Davis
Llaoa
Ellis
Benson
Tisdale
Servais
Mang
Couple of takeaways:

Promising that we have 5 returners - Bergeron, Ellis, Davis, Vet, Bleich - that average in the top 6 overall. Also promising that we have a returning FB in Elmore that averages in that top 6 group too.

Not so good - Tisdale and Llaoa are both consistently in the bottom half - there's a pretty steep drop off from our top group to them. Which correlates with how the season went, when we had our core group in, we looked pretty good, when we were missing 1 or 2 of the starters, the quality noticeably decreased.

Hopefully more of the young guys are ready to be on the 2 deep next season and we get a couple of quality transfers out of the portal.

Couple of takeaways:

Promising that we have 5 returners - Bergeron, Ellis, Davis, Vet, Bleich - that average in the top 6 overall. Also promising that we have a returning FB in Elmore that averages in that top 6 group too.

Not so good - Tisdale and Llaoa are both consistently in the bottom half - there's a pretty steep drop off from our top group to them. Which correlates with how the season went, when we had our core group in, we looked pretty good, when we were missing 1 or 2 of the starters, the quality noticeably decreased.

Hopefully more of the young guys are ready to be on the 2 deep next season and we get a couple of quality transfers out of the portal.
Isn't Llaoa a true F? If so, I think he gets a pass this year. Usually OL recruits need at least a year to develop physically and learn the nuances of the position.

Totally agree on Schmidt. Cav technique really messed these guys up
As much as I'd like to put it all on Cav? Not quite.

As explained to me by a former p5 coach: At this level, some coaches are masters at x's and O's. Others at technique. Obviously, they do both, but they do have areas where they excel. Cav is an X and O guy. By all counts, he's VERY good at THAT. These guys usually rely on trusted GA's to focus on technique/developement while they focus more on xs and os.

Cav was given one of BGs linemen. Not one of his guys. If he chose one of his trusted GA's for that department? Maybe better? I dunno, but its a reasonable assumption. Were there other things? Yeah.

Either way? What a program like Cuse needs is a developement 1st coach, imo. From the 1st guy on the depth chart, to the last. That's Schmidt.(hopefully he excels in the XO department, as well) . Good hire. Why he was a priority.

Does anyone know how soon we can expect Vet to return to the playing field? He got hurt in the FSU game on October 2nd. Is there hope he could be ready to play for the opening game of 2022?

Was it a knee or something else?

Isn't Llaoa a true F? If so, I think he gets a pass this year. Usually OL recruits need at least a year to develop physically and learn the nuances of the position.

Second year frosh [COVID exemption last year], will be a third year sophomore next year with 3 years of eligibility left.

Does anyone know how soon we can expect Vet to return to the playing field? He got hurt in the FSU game on October 2nd. Is there hope he could be ready to play for the opening game of 2022?

Was it a knee or something else?

Wasn't that Tisdale? Or did Vett get hurt that game, too?

Wasn't that Tisdale? Or did Vett get hurt that game, too?
Vet got hurt in the FSU game and did not return to action the rest of the season.

Tisdale also got hurt in that game but did return to action in the last few games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom