OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out.

Hes not winning 6 games, we can play this game all day but you know deep down how it's going to play out. Be thrilled your guy gets next year, 95% of the other P5 D1 programs would have canned him.

Jeremy, I don’t know how many he wins next year. But he’s not lame duck unless it has 100% already decided he’s not returning next year. Doesn’t matter what you or I think we’ll do next year.

Make all the changes you want, Dino has proven he cannot coach. He’s a horrible game manager. Believes he’s an offensive genius. Eric dungey made it seem like he could coach and that’s it. I will always support the team but I don’t understand how you can perform at your job at a 30% success rate and keep getting support. Lastly, what has this guy ever done to embrace the community other than ask for fan support to sell tickets? I’m officially off the train completely with this guy

Browning is now an assistant coach at Baker College.

Today I learned that there is a college called Baker College and that it has a football team.
I did the same thing. Had no idea about Baker either.

Jeremy, I don’t know how many he wins next year. But he’s not lame duck unless it has 100% already decided he’s not returning next year. Doesn’t matter what you or I think we’ll do next year.
Bees I think my concern is that you're drawing a distinction that opposing coaches negative recruiting against us aren't going to make.

It doesn’t matter if it’s official or not. It’s the perception. He’s been a lame duck on the recruiting trail since the 1-10 season and nothing is changing that unless he wins or leaves.

Bees I think my concern is that you're drawing a distinction that opposing coaches negative recruiting against us aren't going to make.

It doesn’t matter if it’s official or not. It’s the perception. He’s been a lame duck on the recruiting trail since the 1-10 season and nothing is changing that unless he wins or leaves.

And that’s not what I originally commented on about the term. I have zero doubt other schools have been and will negative recruit against us.

Make all the changes you want, Dino has proven he cannot coach. He’s a horrible game manager. Believes he’s an offensive genius. Eric dungey made it seem like he could coach and that’s it. I will always support the team but I don’t understand how you can perform at your job at a 30% success rate and keep getting support. Lastly, what has this guy ever done to embrace the community other than ask for fan support to sell tickets? I’m officially off the train completely with this guy
I wish I could only perform at 30 percent and keep my job.

Well, I’m sure schools used that against us this year too… and maybe last year.

What is the surprise here? We knew we weren't going to fire Dino and pay him. Had to throw fanbase a bone that ADJW is on it and cut some assistants. Tomorrow he will stress how close we are and how fan support is important especially beith next year's exciting home schedule.

Reactions: FAL
I agree with this, also makes it hard to attract quality assistants or retain the ones you have. Getting rid of the assistants tells me he probably has at least 2 more years unless the season really goes to hell next year.

At this point he’d have to lose every game and I think people on here would still mention progress, we could have had 7-8 wins, under the radar future NFL recruits, and all the good coaches needed at least 10 years before they really showed how good they were.

At this point he’d have to lose every game and I think people on here would still mention progress, we could have had 7-8 wins, under the radar future NFL recruits, and all the good coaches needed at least 10 years before they really showed how good they were.
Didn’t you know? A coach needs his second group of only his players to be sucessful

His job just got exponentially harder.

He’s got to overcome a negative perception on the recruiting trail to maintain and grow/finalize the current class.

He’s got to hold onto the current team in the midst of the portal free for all.

He’s got to break in a new offensive coordinator in 7/8 months in a high stress environment. With no playbook. That new OC, needs to be more productive than predecessors who’ve had more time.

He needs a higher winning percentage next year than his historical Syracuse averages indicate are likely against one of the harder schedule’s he’s faced.

Dark side - strategically, I think this is a terrible course of action. Tightening the screws makes it much more difficult to do all the things necessary to do your job. And, you need to be more productive than you’ve been at that job. Feels like treading water as a tidal wave approaches.

Bright side - I think we’ve got a handful of really talented core piece players to work with right now.

I will hope he succeeds because I hope Syracuse football succeeds, always. I love this town and this team. But man, feels like a lot of bitter pills.

Unlikely Babers would accept, his contract and some portion of the buyout exists until 2024, he will get more playing out next year before he's fired and paid put the remainder of his contract and whatever the buyout is at that point
Are you sure he wouldn't blow that call too?

Lol.. Gilbert’s track record is less than stellar…he never should have been hired but we are a bottom feeder
Says here in the coaching link at cuse.com that Gilbert is/was the QB coach at SU. Didn’t read that one closely enough. He had plenty of experience as player coach and OC - read his bio at cuse.com.

But what happened to Sterlin? Did his coaching acumen leave him, fall off a cliff? Maybe after he got here he wasn’t thrilled and didn’t do his homework and thus didn’t help us especially since all through his bio it’s all about being a quarterbacks coach and a great OC.

“Sterlin Gilbert is in his first season as Syracuse’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. A Texas native well versed in the veer and shoot, Gilbert has run offenses and coached quarterbacks at the FBS, FCS and high school levels. He was most recently the head coach at McNeese State prior to joining the Orange.” 2020 – now.

“Gilbert previously worked with Syracuse head coach Dino Babers for three seasons. They first joined forces at Eastern Illinois in 2012 and the pair transformed the Panthers into a fast-paced juggernaut behind the play of standout quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.”

“A three-year starter and two-year captain for Angelo State University, Gilbert led the Rams to back-to-back Lone Star Conference South Division championships. He concluded his college career fourth on the school’s all-time total offense record list. In high school, Gilbert was a two-time all-state quarterback and the 1996 district MVP at Lake View, where he also earned Big XII Region All-America and All-West Texas 4A MVP honors.” At a high major school like you have to have certain skills or you don’t play.

I was an All - State Prep School quarterback in N.J. and won the N.J. state 100 yard dash championship 9.7 back in ’62 walked on at SU beat out their 3rd string QB and they gave me a scholie. The point I am getting to is that as an individual esp. a QB, you have skills that you’ve learned just by playing the position good and not so good. When Shrader transferred why didn’t Gilbert spend time every day with Garrett showing him better skills or maybe he did but didn’t have much success with him? It is obvious to me that Shrader needs help. His accuracy is one of them, his footwork another. Did Gilbert have too much on his plate to help Shrader –guess we’ll never know but GS better get help or we’re going to be stuck with his negatives.

“EIU was even better the next season, leading to Gilbert’s selection as the 2013 FootballScoop.com FCS Coordinator of the Year. The Panthers led the nation in total offense (589.5 ypg), scoring (48.2 ppg) and ranked second in passing (372.4 ypg). EIU posted a 12-2 record and won the Ohio Valley Conference Championship. Garoppolo, now the starter for the San Francisco 49ers, won the 2013 Walter Payton Award (the FCS equivalent of the Heisman Trophy) as the nation’s best player. He led the country and ranked second in FCS single-season history with 5,050 passing yards, while ranking second nationally and fourth in FCS history with 53 touchdown passes. Garoppolo, who was selected in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots, passed for 8,873 yards and 84 touchdowns in his two seasons under Gilbert.”

????? Bye Sterlin. A shame. Who knows what went on behind the curtain was Babers the real OC?

Says here in the coaching link at cuse.com that Gilbert is/was the QB coach at SU. Didn’t read that one closely enough. He had plenty of experience as player coach and OC - read his bio at cuse.com.

But what happened to Sterlin? Did his coaching acumen leave him, fall off a cliff? Maybe after he got here he wasn’t thrilled and didn’t do his homework and thus didn’t help us especially since all through his bio it’s all about being a quarterbacks coach and a great OC.

“Sterlin Gilbert is in his first season as Syracuse’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. A Texas native well versed in the veer and shoot, Gilbert has run offenses and coached quarterbacks at the FBS, FCS and high school levels. He was most recently the head coach at McNeese State prior to joining the Orange.” 2020 – now.

“Gilbert previously worked with Syracuse head coach Dino Babers for three seasons. They first joined forces at Eastern Illinois in 2012 and the pair transformed the Panthers into a fast-paced juggernaut behind the play of standout quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.”

“A three-year starter and two-year captain for Angelo State University, Gilbert led the Rams to back-to-back Lone Star Conference South Division championships. He concluded his college career fourth on the school’s all-time total offense record list. In high school, Gilbert was a two-time all-state quarterback and the 1996 district MVP at Lake View, where he also earned Big XII Region All-America and All-West Texas 4A MVP honors.” At a high major school like you have to have certain skills or you don’t play.

I was an All - State Prep School quarterback in N.J. and won the N.J. state 100 yard dash championship 9.7 back in ’62 walked on at SU beat out their 3rd string QB and they gave me a scholie. The point I am getting to is that as an individual esp. a QB, you have skills that you’ve learned just by playing the position good and not so good. When Shrader transferred why didn’t Gilbert spend time every day with Garrett showing him better skills or maybe he did but didn’t have much success with him? It is obvious to me that Shrader needs help. His accuracy is one of them, his footwork another. Did Gilbert have too much on his plate to help Shrader –guess we’ll never know but GS better get help or we’re going to be stuck with his negatives.

“EIU was even better the next season, leading to Gilbert’s selection as the 2013 FootballScoop.com FCS Coordinator of the Year. The Panthers led the nation in total offense (589.5 ypg), scoring (48.2 ppg) and ranked second in passing (372.4 ypg). EIU posted a 12-2 record and won the Ohio Valley Conference Championship. Garoppolo, now the starter for the San Francisco 49ers, won the 2013 Walter Payton Award (the FCS equivalent of the Heisman Trophy) as the nation’s best player. He led the country and ranked second in FCS single-season history with 5,050 passing yards, while ranking second nationally and fourth in FCS history with 53 touchdown passes. Garoppolo, who was selected in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots, passed for 8,873 yards and 84 touchdowns in his two seasons under Gilbert.”

????? Bye Sterlin. A shame. Who knows what went on behind the curtain was Babers the real OC?
Sterlin just wasn’t very good. Just look at his stints

Anybody with eyes to see knows that's the deal.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but…

Mariam-Webster

Definition of lame duck
1 : one that is weak or that falls behind in ability or achievement
especially, chiefly British : an ailing company
2 : an elected official or group continuing to hold political office during the period between the election and the inauguration of a successor
3 : one whose position or term of office will soon end

One can reasonably predict losing season #6 of 7 for next year. Past results have shown us that

Not for me.

Well bring in a QB and have a tight 4 way battle.

New OC might have a line on wideouts.

We get our star RB and most of the D back.

5 wins doesn’t mean drive the program off the cliff. The right coaches are staying and the right ones are leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom