OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out.

Your not really saving money by not firing him today meaning Babers. Wildhack’s thinking is backwards in my opinion. He should of cleaned house like he did for Lacrosse. You need to spend money to get the fan base excited again for a new regime. Regardless if he had five years left on his contract SU has the money. Basketball and Football right now are not in great shape and I really don’t know how things are going to change anytime soon with the status quo

Your not really saving money by not firing him today meaning Babers. Wildhack’s thinking is backwards in my opinion. He should of cleaned house like he did for Lacrosse. You need to spend money to get the fan base excited again for a new regime. Regardless if he had five years left on his contract SU has the money. Basketball and Football right now are not in great shape and I really don’t know how things are going to change anytime soon with the status quo
I'd be interested in hearing from at least one resident trustee here on that matter.

Speaking of this, and not to derail, but what is JB's salary?

$2.7 million from SU. I think he gets money from Nike and other sponsors too.

$2.7 million from SU. I think he gets money from Nike and other sponsors too.

Got it. My 92 year old grandfather asked me that today, and I was not sure of the specifics.

Dino replaced the DC and OL coaches last year and hit on both (bigger budget?). I have faith he can do it again.
Had he not also brought in Gilbert I would have more confidence.

Remember earlier in season we seemed to have trouble getting plays called and GS was on field raising his arms as if to say "What is the play?" It felt like McFxkit was back in the booth freezing up again.
Do any of insiders have intel to share now that Gilbert is gone?

I’d kill for the drive thru at my nearest Taco Bell to get it right 30% of the time
There's always a few places in town like that. Lived in a town with a Taco Bell just like you described. My current city, the place that has zero reliability on getting your order right is Culver's.

Which is a bummer. Culver's is solid. But the one by house is staffed by people that just whiff over and over again.

His job just got exponentially harder.

He’s got to overcome a negative perception on the recruiting trail to maintain and grow/finalize the current class.

He’s got to hold onto the current team in the midst of the portal free for all.

He’s got to break in a new offensive coordinator in 7/8 months in a high stress environment. With no playbook. That new OC, needs to be more productive than predecessors who’ve had more time.

He needs a higher winning percentage next year than his historical Syracuse averages indicate are likely against one of the harder schedule’s he’s faced.

Dark side - strategically, I think this is a terrible course of action. Tightening the screws makes it much more difficult to do all the things necessary to do your job. And, you need to be more productive than you’ve been at that job. Feels like treading water as a tidal wave approaches.

Bright side - I think we’ve got a handful of really talented core piece players to work with right now.

I will hope he succeeds because I hope Syracuse football succeeds, always. I love this town and this team. But man, feels like a lot of bitter pills.
Maybe this is by design by Wildhack? Force Dino to the table to negotiate buyout or hope he finds better job cuz I agree this does not seem like recipe for success

Sounds like Wildhack is demanding competence from an incompetent performance by Dino. Pressing for evidence not faith. Does Dino say screw this and resign?

Sounds like Wildhack is demanding competence from an incompetent performance by Dino. Does Dino say screw this and resign?
wishful thinking...I'm sure he likes collecting $4M/year to get 4 wins per year. I'd want to be paid everything I'm owed

As the search for new position coaches gets under way, what about this guy for OC? Don't know about his recruiting acumen but seems to be an up-and-coming young offensive coaching mind.

1638195756506.png

At this point, I feel most of us would really welcome a 'competent' OC versus a Top Recruiter per say, since we really haven't had one in the last couple of years. The anemic/frustrating Offensive play calling has us hoping if not begging we get one so we're not so predictable nor one-dimensional on offense.

Hoping we finally land a good OC to compliment TW on the defensive side of the field.

LGO!

Remember earlier in season we seemed to have trouble getting plays called and GS was on field raising his arms as if to say "What is the play?" It felt like McFxkit was back in the booth freezing up again.
Do any of insiders have intel to share now that Gilbert is gone?
I went to all the qames except UL, so that was the only one I watched on TV. Was surprised to see Dino shown on the sidelines, in conversation on his headset, visibly angry talking to someone. Dino rarely shows emotion. Guessing he was really mad at Sterlin.

It was in a stretch where we were struggling to move the ball (as usual). Pretty sure Sterlin normally called games at field level, near Dino but not watching games on TV, I can't confirm that. Definitely don't remember seeing him walking up to the coaches box for home games. Anyway, if he was yelling at someone on the headset, I don't know it was Sterlin. Unless he had a headset as well.

There was a fundamental change made to the way our WRs ran routes this season. They wanted them to have flexibility to react to what the defense was doing and not just run a pre determined route no matter what. We had a lot of disconnects where the receivers ran one way and Garrett threw it somewhere else. Guessing that was Sterlin's brainchild and it was a major disaster. Maybe it could have been successful with a more experienced group of WRs and a QB who had been in the system for longer. Guessing we won't see that any longer.

We were really late getting a play in way too many times and it often seemed like the most important the play, the longer it took to get the call in. We wasted a bunch of timeouts doing this. We had issues getting plays in and everyone on board with the right people on the field even after timeouts.

I heard some players were very concerned with some of the game plans and play calls. I don't think Sterlin was well respected by at least some of the players.

As the search for new position coaches gets under way, what about this guy for OC? Don't know about his recruiting acumen but seems to be an up-and-coming young offensive coaching mind.

View attachment 211232

At this point, I feel most of us would really welcome a 'competent' OC versus a Top Recruiter per say, since we really haven't had one in the last couple of years. The anemic/frustrating Offensive play calling has us hoping if not begging we get one so we're not so predictable nor one-dimensional on offense.

Hoping we finally land a good OC to compliment TW on the defensive side of the field.

LGO!
Probably be a QB coach who meshes well with Schmidt if they go the co-OC route.

View attachment 211232

LGO!
I'm guessing either Dino takes on OC duties and we go for a Special Teams Coach or the search will drag on past second signing day in February and we will end up with someone Dino feels comfortable with (ie someone he's worked with before). In either case we will likely not end up with a dynamic, young, up and coming OC.

There was a fundamental change made to the way our WRs ran routes this season. They wanted them to have flexibility to react to what the defense was doing and not just run a pre determined route no matter what. We had a lot of disconnects where the receivers ran one way and Garrett threw it somewhere else. Guessing that was Sterlin's brainchild and it was a major disaster. Maybe it could have been successful with a more experienced group of WRs and a QB who had been in the system for longer. Guessing we won't see that any longer.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s Dino’s brain child (or the baylor offense in general) and part of the reason why we didn’t have a playbook. I really hope you’re right though and we’ve seen the last of it because we need to have legitimate play designs that make sense and let’s receivers play and not think/second guess. As bad as they’ve been, we don’t need to make it even harder for them.

View attachment 211232

LGO!
Yes. In one year at WKU he completely transformed their passing game.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s Dino’s brain child (or the baylor offense in general) and part of the reason why we didn’t have a playbook. I really hope you’re right though and we’ve seen the last of it because we need to have legitimate play designs that make sense and let’s receivers play and not think/second guess. As bad as they’ve been, we don’t need to make it even harder for them.
Dino took the Briles Baylor offense, tweaked it a bit and made it his own. No doubt on that.

But the flexible routes idea was new for this year. A big reason we suddenly were able to pass the ball again in the Pitt game was because we decided to scrap flexible route running. Pretty sure Schrader hated it. I don't blame him.

I've always wondered if there was some way we could lure Dave Warner back to SU. He is now OC at UTEP, having gone there after the regime at MSU went under. He was OC and QB coach at MSU for awhile and always seemed to do a solid job with their QB's. The offense was up and down although one year they had the most prolific offense in their history. He has been involved in the passing game virtually his whole coaching career. Got both his degrees from SU as well plus he was a grad assistant at SU.

I've always wondered if there was some way we could lure Dave Warner back to SU. He is now OC at UTEP, having gone there after the regime at MSU went under. He was OC and QB coach at MSU for awhile and always seemed to do a solid job with their QB's. The offense was up and down although one year they had the most prolific offense in their history. He has been involved in the passing game virtually his whole coaching career. Got both his degrees from SU as well plus he was a grad assistant at SU.
I actually advocated for him as HC a few years back. Think he would be a good hire

I actually advocated for him as HC a few years back. Think he would be a good hire
I was always impressed with his QB's while at MSU. I think he put more than one in the NFL. He lived within walking distance of my house while he was at MSU although our paths never crossed. He is in his early 60's now and may be done with the nomadic lifestyle of a coach but you never know. I assume though that Dino probably has a "type" in mind for the position based on offensive philosophy and all of the other things that have worked out so outstandingly well over the past six years...

Of course, Dave made a very good income as OC at Michigan State. At this point in his life he probably doesn't need the money and he doesn't need the stress of coming to CNY to join a staff with a sword over its head. He can just ride out his career in El Paso.

Last edited:
They hated that guy at Mich St. Not a good OC, IMO

Hopefully folks will start believing me when I say, money wouldn't be why we didn't move on from Dino. I've been saying that for months and it comes from very reliable sources.

I am a big ADJW fan but I will say, this press conference left me a bit more discouraged about the future.

Hopefully folks will start believing me when I say, money wouldn't be why we didn't move on from Dino. I've been saying that for months and it comes from very reliable sources.

I am a big ADJW fan but I will say, this press conference left me a bit more discouraged about the future.
That’s even more troubling. What does JW think that Dino excels at football related?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom