Of the 16 teams left.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Of the 16 teams left..

Just from a selfish SU perspective, I vote for Duke. They are already so far ahead of us in championships that it doesn't diminish us for them to win another. FSU, Gonzaga, Virginia start on a path to "Villanova-ing" us if they start winning championships.

The only teams I can pull for are ACC teams as it would help SU financially. So in my preferred order:
1) UVA Bennett needs to win it all after last year..
2) FSU
3) VT
4) UNC
5) Duke - Massively Overrated IMHO..

Rooting for UVA, FSU and LSU.

Would be absolutely hilarious (IMO) to watch confetti pour down on a team with an interim HC, filling in for a suspended HC accused of making statements regarding the pay for play of a current player, who is actively playing.

I’m also not naive enough to think Will Wade is an outlier. Unlike Duke, who would be roundly celebrated if they win the title, LSU just happened to get caught.

Last edited:
The only teams I can pull for are ACC teams as it would help SU financially. So in my preferred order:
1) UVA Bennett needs to win it all after last year..
2) FSU
3) VT
4) UNC
5) Duke - Massively Overrated IMHO..

UVA winning the the worst thing possible for us we are no longer one good recruiting class on our end and a couple key early departures on theirs away from being up there with Duke and UNC.

VT and FSU making the final four would be bad as well and legitimize recent good runs by both.

Duke or UNC winning changes nothing overall.

I think we were closer than people think and more in the 'mix' than anyone will give us credit for despite our struggles. Losing a lottery pick early, and our PG both early and at the end when it matters most has to be taken into consideration. Of the 8 ACC games we lost we had halftime leads in 5 or 6 I think. You just need some luck like your best player not pickup up a debilitating injury a month before the year and then getting suspended for the NCAAT or your best recruit in a few years leaving you at the altar to not play competitive basketball anywhere.

We hit on some recruits, guys improve, maybe a SR Battle, and we are in business. There should be 10-15 teams going into next year that have a shot to win it all right now I don't consider us one of them but who knows.

UVA winning the the worst thing possible for us we are no longer one good recruiting class on our end and a couple key early departures on theirs away from being up there with Duke and UNC.

VT and FSU making the final four would be bad as well and legitimize recent good runs by both.

I think we were closer than people think and more in the 'mix' than anyone will give us credit for despite our struggles. Losing a lottery pick early, and our PG both early and at the end when it matters most has to be taken into consideration. Of the 8 ACC games we lost we had halftime leads in 5 or 6 I think. You just need some luck like your best player not pickup up a debilitating injury a month before the year and then getting suspended for the NCAAT or your best recruit in a few years leaving you at the altar to not play competitive basketball anywhere.

We hit on some recruits, guys improve, maybe a SR Battle, and we are in business. There should be 10-15 teams going into next year that have a shot to win it all right now I don't consider us one of them but who knows.

Yeah I don't see how having any ACC team winning it all helps SU.

Tennessee
Purdue
UVA
LSU

Auburn would be insufferable.
Not Auburn not so much but Barkley would be insufferable beyond words!

I always root for a team that already has a championship. I don't like other schools joining the club. Along those lines I prefer to root for coaches that already have a championship so they don't get on JB's level. If he could win another one I could finally start cheering for coaches to win their first!!!

You truly think Frank was our best player though?

You truly think Frank was our best player though?

He would have been better with no injury than what we got from OB and Tyus. Were either better than Eli this year looking back? We were better in the ACC tournament with Frank and no Tyus than with Tyus and no Frank in the NCAAs.

Which teams winning it all would bother you the least? Mine:

1. Purdue -- they have a great loyal fanbase and just never, ever get to the Final Four. Even though they're in the Big Ten I would be cool with them winning a title.
2. Virginia -- I like Tony Bennett, I'm not threatened by them, and it would be fun to open next year with the defending champs. And if an ACC team has to win I would want it to be either them or FSU.
3. Houston -- I think it's good for the sport of college basketball to create new and huge fanbases. U of H is a massive school in a massive city, so if suddenly a big hardcore fanbase emerged, it's simply good for business.
4. Florida State -- They're in the ACC and them winning it all wouldn't in any way downgrade our historic position, and Leonard Hamilton seems like a good guy so I'm cool with it.
5. Texas Tech -- it would be refreshing to have a total outsider win the tournament.
I would be fine with any non-ACC traditional power winning. So Houston, Zaga, Texas Tech, Purdue. If it has to be an ACC school I would say UVA since I respect Bennett.

Some of this regarding our ACC rivals is nonsense.

We need to mind our own knitting. We either step it up a notch or we don’t.

One of the others winning this year would have little to do with the task ahead of us.

I've got one daughter living in Virginia, so I'll go with Virginia or Virginia Tech. I've got another living half the year in Tennessee so...no.

LSU which would be vacated
Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Michigan
Houston if it causes chaos in conference expansion

The rest of the teams no way in hell

This board’s just going to let the Frank’s better than Battle post fly?

How much we’ve grown.

This board’s just going to let the Frank’s better than Battle post fly?

How much we’ve grown.

Humor is an important part of our daily lives.

Brackets aside - Michigan and Gonzaga. I like both coaches and neither is a team we really recruit against.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom