Offensive Line | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Line

tboxCUSE92

Scout Team
A perceived strength preseason is now a showcased flaw. Macky and Chibane are beat regularly. Our conditioning won out vs. Wake, but today is truly showing the weakness. The group played a lot better last year, makes you wonder...

The OL certainly didn''t contribute to the rushing game at 36 total yards. At least Nassib can pass on the run, although he was sacked 3 times. USC will be licking their lips.

Can someone offer more insight other than to say the O-line is atrocious? That's stating the obvious. Does it come down to 1 or 2 spots being huge weaknesses? Is it overall chemistry? Is Macky not making the proper reads? Does Coach Mac have some blackmail photos of Doug?

Ironic or not, last year's 3 best playmakers were all GRob recruits and highly rated players coming out of high school. Those who have faith in Marrone coaching up these recruits might want to be a bit more realistic about our upside going forward. The dearth of talent on both lines is as bad as I've seen it. I don't know how many more rabbits we can expect to pull out of the hat this year, but one week at a time.

Can someone offer more insight other than to say the O-line is atrocious? That's stating the obvious. Does it come down to 1 or 2 spots being huge weaknesses? Is it overall chemistry? Is Macky not making the proper reads? Does Coach Mac have some blackmail photos of Doug?

Ironic or not, last year's 3 best playmakers were all GRob recruits and highly rated players coming out of high school. Those who have faith in Marrone coaching up these recruits might want to be a bit more realistic about our upside going forward. The dearth of talent on both lines is as bad as I've seen it. I don't know how many more rabbits we can expect to pull out of the hat this year, but one week at a time.
Glad the "glass totally empty" crew made it over from scout *facepalm*

Honest question: How are you judging talent on the offensive line? Are you saying these guys are physically incapable of either blocking and/or holding up vs. opposing blockers? I think it's an easy thing to say but a much tougher one to prove. I share everyone's concern about the offensive line and I'm not elated with the defensive line (though I hardly view that as one of the biggest concerns). But I tend to think they're capable of playing better -- maybe not great, but better. That said, some personnel changes may be in order if things don't change VERY soon.

I think, and this is just my opinion from what I saw - Macky is really struggling to pick up rushers -- guys are blowing by him, and that in turn is affecting the play of the OL

As bees noted in the post game tailgate Mackey if he gets help does a good job but one on one with a DT or a LB he is way overmatched and getting blown away. I dont know how much longer Marrone and Hackett can wait until they got to Trudo or someone else. Nassib is gonna get killed next week if we dont get Macky out of there.

I dont think Macky is really the issue.. Unless of course we have modified the schemes to help hide his issues.. The guard play was the real issue on all the big plays tonight.. I dont think Either tackle is playing all the well either.. I would not grade any of the starters at higher than a C+ for the year..

we also had plays where we held in the Fb and TB and they both missed blocks..

confusion on assignments is causing many issues as well

I'm not an expert, but I think the issue is that we have two subpar linemen next to each other in Chibane and Macky, and a third in Hay that's not very good or a very smart player I don't think either. Last season we could get away with Chibane because he was bookended by two solid guys in Pugh and Bart. It seems to me, and I haven't been tracking this directly or anything, but it looks like when Macky gets beat that he gets beat on his left shoulder. He needs some help, and it's not coming from Chibane, because Chibane needs some help.

I'm extremely concerned that Macky didn't play better against a subdivision team like this.

I put it on the coaching staff for not having at least one other option at center. Macky is going to get pancaked next week. This is not about bad luck, injuries, or whatnot. This is a combination of questionable recruiting, and/or lack of player development. The situation is reminiscent of the max meisel days - when players played by default.

I dont think Macky is really the issue.. Unless of course we have modified the schemes to help hide his issues.. The guard play was the real issue on all the big plays tonight.. I dont think Either tackle is playing all the well either.. I would not grade any of the starters at higher than a C+ for the year..

we also had plays where we held in the Fb and TB and they both missed blocks..

confusion on assignments is causing many issues as well

This, you guys need to rewatch the game, it's the guards, particularly Chibane that has been the problem.

I put it on the coaching staff for not having at least one other option at center. Macky is going to get pancaked next week. This is not about bad luck, injuries, or whatnot. This is a combination of questionable recruiting, and/or lack of player development. The situation is reminiscent of the max meisel days - when players played by default.

They did (Allport), but he's out with a concussion. And they had another one (Lepak), who might be back, but he also had concussion issues. Trying to develop the true freshman who could have attended a lot of good schools, but that doesn't mean he's ready now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom