Official practice starting today, what are you looking for? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Official practice starting today, what are you looking for?

Well, in looking at the practice photos I’m looking for someone I recognize. It’s like, ok there’s McNamara. There’s Autry. There’s Boeheim. There’s Battle. I have no idea who the rest of these guys are. Even Howard can still be hard to spot, because suddenly every kid on the team has the same haircut every year.

Everyone seems obsessed with Marek's very slender frame and lack of muscle, that he's gonna get knocked on his as- out there and flattened. But Lydon was able to contribute as a freshman in a meaningful way, even playing center, despite his slender frame.

KO, 2 dot O, with a jumper. Here's to hoping he has half of that kids toughness

Everyone seems obsessed with Marek's very slender frame and lack of muscle, that he's gonna get knocked on his as- out there and flattened. But Lydon was able to contribute as a freshman in a meaningful way, even playing center, despite his slender frame.

Warrick, Brown, Shumpert...we’ve had a lot of skinny forwards that could play.

We’ve had specimens like Eric Williams and Ethan Cole that couldn’t. It’s an overrated point.

Warrick, Brown, Shumpert...we’ve had a lot of skinny forwards that could play.

We’ve had specimens like Eric Williams and Ethan Cole that couldn’t. It’s an overrated point.

There's skinny or thin and then there's really skinny. Looks like Marek might fall into the latter category. Not sure how that will translate, especially in ACC play. Hope his international experience helps.

I think Dolezaj is awfully skinny, and he's going to have a hard time staying on the court. Who is he going to defend at 170 lbs? How many rebounds is that dude going to get, even if he is 6-9?

Long arms, timing, jumping - both elevation and getting off the floor quickly, a sense of where the ball is going to go, good hands, strength for his size especially in core and legs, aggression, effort...does he have those things?

Being skinny certainly is a negative and he will be more effective when he gets stronger and can hold his ground better, but it’s not the only factor or not necessarily a game changer.

I’ve seen countless big, strong guys that were complete stiffs and couldn’t board or play a lick.

Last edited:
Loved KO. But I think everyone is expecting Marek to have a much higher upside and a different game. He's more of a wing than a PF. And of course KO was a junior when he entered the program.

Yeah, I’m hoping Marek is way better than KO.

KO was a roleplayer with limited skills, but who played his butt off. Perfect spark off the bench guy who could give the team a lift with pure energy and hustle. And he was pretty athletic.

I’m hoping Marek is a much better shooter, passer, and ball handler.

Were you around for Louis Orr?

Yes, I go back almost a decade farther than that. I looked it up; you're right. Orr was only about 180.

Yeah, we expect Battle to provide all of our offense now, with Taurean Thompson leaving like he did. That's going to be tough, really tough. Who else is going to open up the floor?

It's not likely to be any of the big men other than Brissett. And at guard, we've got Geno. But can Geno and Battle combine well enough as pseudo-PG's that we can run a half court offense effectively? Those are our best 3 point shooters. Last year we had 3 guys better than Battle, and that was a huge part of our offense.

Frank Howard is not really a threat from outside. Maybe Washington will be able to hit outside shots, in which case he'll probably win the starting job at the point. So, to me, I don't see enough depth there. Too many questions, too many first timers who all have to contribute for us to be any good.

And then you look at the front line. Some nice young talent, but the forwards weigh 215 and the centers weigh 225 and 235. We have no big body at all, really. We are going to be "big boyed" by the better teams this year. I sound like a downer, but to me, this team doesn't look as good as last year's team, and the guy who was maybe a chemistry problem is back.

I think that if we keep most of these guys and add to them what is shaping up as a very good recruiting class, then maybe we can make one more run for the big guy.
I've been posting pretty much the same. I'm not a doom-and-gloomer, normally. But this year's team has so many new pieces it's difficult to see how we can be successful in a conference like the ACC. There's a beef issue with rebounding. We have few options, as you point out, to space the floor with outside shooting. The odds-on starter at PG has not been RFPT in the past, and Thorpe - a nice player - is new to the zone. I think Battle will have to be a dominant force offensively for us to compete. I also like the athleticism and depth of our forwards, although obviously they're unproven. Center has a chance to be better defensively with Chukwu's height and Sidibe's length. I think middle of the pack is likely, with the potential to be top 5 (conference) later in the year if every question about this team is answered positively.

PS (red) I thought the chemistry problem transferred.

Lydon weighed 215 as a freshman and 225 last year. I see that Marek is up to 180. Huge difference. Lydon was 35 pounds heavier that Marek.
When Lydon showed up to school, he was about 200, by tourney time he was 210.

Been saying it for awhile but I think this kid will shock many people and is grossly under rated (yes I know we say that about all our recruits that aren't 5 star guys) but this kid is a true point guard that can shoot..and looking at him compared to last year he looks like he has put some muscle and size on!

Yep, we've been on his bandwagon for a while. He absolutely has worked hard in the weight room.

I've been posting pretty much the same. I'm not a doom-and-gloomer, normally. But this year's team has so many new pieces it's difficult to see how we can be successful in a conference like the ACC. There's a beef issue with rebounding. We have few options, as you point out, to space the floor with outside shooting. The odds-on starter at PG has not been RFPT in the past, and Thorpe - a nice player - is new to the zone. I think Battle will have to be a dominant force offensively for us to compete. I also like the athleticism and depth of our forwards, although obviously they're unproven. Center has a chance to be better defensively with Chukwu's height and Sidibe's length. I think middle of the pack is likely, with the potential to be top 5 (conference) later in the year if every question about this team is answered positively.

PS (red) I thought the chemistry problem transferred.
With so many 1 and dones and early departures each year, every ACC team is facing roster turnover. Of course Cuse has one of the lowest percentages of returning scoring, rebounding and experience in the conference. But there is talent on this roster. And Moyer, Chukwu and Howard have all been in the program for several years, so they should be a little more ready to step up into bigger contributions now. I'm hoping the young guys like Brissett and Marek and Sidibe can develop rapidly and JB can mold them into an NCAA tourney team.

Been saying it for awhile but I think this kid will shock many people and is grossly under rated (yes I know we say that about all our recruits that aren't 5 star guys) but this kid is a true point guard that can shoot..and looking at him compared to last year he looks like he has put some muscle and size on!
So do you think Washington might actually split time with Frank at PG (maybe 15mpg?)? Would JB then slide Geno over to the 2 and have Battle play significant minutes at SF? Moyer and Brissett could man the PF position and also play some SF when Battle moves to the 2. It'll be interesting to see what lineups JB finds most effective. Man, I hope Chukwu and Sidibe are ready to provide defense, rim protection and rebounding in the middle. That will be key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom