Officiating continues to suck and suck! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Officiating continues to suck and suck!

Thanks, as a UVa fan, I didn't want to bitch too much over the blatant, flagrant, and unbelievably obvious foul, but damn, that was about as easy a call one could possibly have... The officiating is beyond atrocious, borderline reprehensible... but oh well, it wasn't meant for us again... Hopefully next year will continue UVa's rebound into relevance of basketball...

Obviously that was a terrible call, but love the way your coach reacted. Obviously angry, but knew he had to get right back to coaching because the game was too close to waste time whining to the refs. If you can keep him, he's going to do great things at that school.

Settle down Mooman. The fact is the refs need to be professionals and not just do this as a side gig. And there needs to be actual accountability for f-ing up a game like UVA. That was atrocious.

That's never going to happen. Let me retrieve a previous post from about a month ago ...

Second, NBA refs are full-time professionals. College officials not true. There are what, 3o NBA teams? So on a night when they're all playing, that's only 45 refs working. I'm sure there are more than 45 for obvious reasons, but probably not over 60-70. It's not hard to keep that number all on the same page (we have more than that in my local HS association). They're trained, evaluated and assigned/administered by one source, the NBA.

Now consider there are about 350 NCAA Div I schools, 265 Div II and 325 Div III; and about 260 NAIA schools. Virtually all of those officials they use have actual jobs/careers. Ed Hightower (whom I've met) for example, is the chief sup't. of a school district in St Louis. And most of these officials often work only a few times with the same refs, through the season. At the top of Div I they see a little more of each other, but most of them also work for different conferences.

Is anyone starting to see the difficulty in cultivating consistency in this scenario? Ask yourselves, if it was that freaking easy, wouldn't they all be doing it? The truth is there will always be inconsistencies. Are all coaches and players the same? Hardly. So why would anyone expect all these officials to be the same? Most will be, at the Div I level, consistent throughout the game (which is why JB lost it at Duke - because they weren't), so intelligent coaches and players learn to figure out what the refs are calling/not calling and adjust. The rest just blunder around in their own darkness.

That's never going to happen. Let me retrieve a previous post from about a month ago ...

It's difficult to see such a flawed product and understand how much money the NCAA makes every year giving us the same flawed product.

Even if they weren't paid, they should be held accountable. As I heard earlier this year about the new 'interpretations' of the rules - the younger refs are sticking to the new rules because they want to get games in the tourney, but the older ones don't worry too much about enforcing the new rule interpretations because they know they will get the call to do the tourney. Where is the accountability to do your job?

It's difficult to see such a flawed product and understand how much money the NCAA makes every year giving us the same flawed product.

Even if they weren't paid, they should be held accountable. As I heard earlier this year about the new 'interpretations' of the rules - the younger refs are sticking to the new rules because they want to get games in the tourney, but the older ones don't worry too much about enforcing the new rule interpretations because they know they will get the call to do the tourney. Where is the accountability to do your job?

I'll be the first to agree that officiating is an inexact science. And sometimes calls get kicked, and while it's unfortunate, there always have been and always will be those calls. It's a fact of life, and inherent to the nature of games in which officials are required. They're never going to be perfect, even if for no other reason than one fan's perfect will differ from another's. Most every Duke fan out there still thinks Tony Greene got the call right. So who's to say what was right or wrong? TV announcers and former coaches and players routinely prove that they don't know jack about rules and interpretations.

That being said, television is seductive, leading all who watch to believe they saw what really happened. However countless times we've seen that replays are in fact, inconclusive. Last night's 4 minute monument to peregrination at the end of the Louisville game is only the most recent case in point. Moreover, what the TV shows and what the ref saw are quite often two different things. Sometimes quite different. But believe this, I've watched games that other fans here are watching, and seen calls I thought were good calls, while the faithful commence to caviling and gnashing of teeth such that one would think it was the rape of the Sabine women. Now I know I've spoken to the TV effect, but I'm watching the same feed the others are.

So since referees are a.) necessary, b.) can't please everyone, and c.) will err, the only thing they can really do is be consistent in what they'll call and what they won't. For there's often a difference between what a rule states as written and how it's applied in practice.

Fans are also interesting. The same bunch that thinks their blue-eyed boy hitting 38% from the arc is a star, despite going 2-11 one game and 4-6 the next, are the sames who don't understand why refs aren't 100% correct 100% of the time. I mean geez, everyone here has missed an uncontested lay-up. I read a quote once where a pundit observed, "The average fan is some guy who sits up in row 68, drinks half a dozen beers through the game, bitches that the refs suck, and then can't find his car in the parking lot. (I love that one! :))

And, my old friend, there are things I'll tell you personally that I won't put up here because it would cause apoplexy on a massive scale across the board. We'll have that conversation, too. I've got a wedding in Boston this October. And if I can make it all fit, I'll bring some real beer, too. ;)

Last edited:
Cowtown obviously you don't know what you're talking about. The refs are awful and Syracuse hasn't lost a game legitimately since the days of cursive script unis.

So how do we fix the rules to make it easier to officiate? Most angry reactions about officiating are temporary heat of the moment reactions blaming officiating for something that while possibly egregious, could have been avoided via better play earlier.

It seems we have too much gray area. It makes me wonder whether the rules should be more focused on eliminating dirty play and watching the rules associated with goal tending and out of bounds than ticky tack fouls. For one.. as much as we love our zone, defensive 3 seconds would probably help eliminate so much of the contact that happens in a crowded paint that is hard to see. Reducing the shot clock to speed things up and force a basketball play. Finally kill the block charge call. If the defender gets his hands on the player its a foul. Make an offensive foul purely the elbow, arm extension push off or illegal screen. You then remove the tactical advantage of forcing a call one way or the other and the defender is focused on disrupting the shot without bringing the arms down and the offensive player just trying to get the shot off.

Yep. Say what you want about him but he can clearly coach. That team doesn't get rattled. Harrison handles pressure well, no Cauley-Stein, no Young, and they pull it out albeit help from the Louisville FT line.

Play of the games was that Randle drive. Gets double-teamed, spins, and absolutely WHIPS the pass to Harrison in the corner for the 3. Very impressive play. Randle is a beast. Amazing touch around the rim too.
The longer UK plays the more Randle looks like the top Frosh this year.

I learned last weekend that one of the guys that used to ref my high school games 5 years ago was the guy that reffed our game against Dayton. So weird to see him on a big stage like that.

I don't mind the charge call. Even late in games. I just think it should be officiated more along the lines of two things late in games.
1. Does the offensive player see the defender, and does he slide in at the last half second when the offensive guy is trying to go around him?
2. And two is he out of control with his head down with a full speedstraight line drive from the perimeter?

I think the michigan one fell along the lines of 1. The guy was driving not pushing off or anything trying to go around the defender, and the defensive guy widened his stance at the last second to flop. Fairs at duke was along the lines of 1.

I didn't watch but I wonder if tennessee was doing some shirt pulling and grabbing down the stretch on the inbounce. Maybe it was a make up call.

Last edited:
So how do we fix the rules to make it easier to officiate? Most angry reactions about officiating are temporary heat of the moment reactions blaming officiating for something that while possibly egregious, could have been avoided via better play earlier.

It seems we have too much gray area. It makes me wonder whether the rules should be more focused on eliminating dirty play and watching the rules associated with goal tending and out of bounds than ticky tack fouls. For one.. as much as we love our zone, defensive 3 seconds would probably help eliminate so much of the contact that happens in a crowded paint that is hard to see. Reducing the shot clock to speed things up and force a basketball play. Finally kill the block charge call. If the defender gets his hands on the player its a foul. Make an offensive foul purely the elbow, arm extension push off or illegal screen. You then remove the tactical advantage of forcing a call one way or the other and the defender is focused on disrupting the shot without bringing the arms down and the offensive player just trying to get the shot off.

I don't think there's an easy answer to that, O-zoo. Until American fan culture changes and stops vilifying officials, many with the skills and mindset necessary will continue to regard officiating as something less than a noble calling, and decline to get involved.

Reactions: cto
and the garbage continues. Arizona guy lowers shoulder into Wisc guy on the block, guess who gets called for the foul. The expression on Wisc coach said it all.

Things used to stink. Now they suck.

"Stink" simply means that something smells bad. "Suck" has a sexual connotation that seems unnecessary.

Things used to stink. Now they suck.

"Stink" simply means that something smells bad. "Suck" has a s e x ual connotation that seems unnecessary.
"Stinks" became too prominent in usage, and therefore didn't allow people a strong enough word for their displeasure, so "sucks" came into usage.

Last edited:
"Stinks" became too prominent in usage, and therefore didn't allow people a strong enough word for their displeasure, so "sucks" came into usage.

Interestingly, the original meaning related to how one plays a horn. And to "suck" is the opposite of to "blow".
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sucks

We've just attached a sexual meaning to it in our dirty minds.

Under 10 seconds, just flop and you'll get the call (Hood, Michigan and now Wisconsin)

Don't blame the incompetent refs - their buffoonery is the fault of American fans...