Class of 2022 - OG/C Tapuvae Amaama (UT) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 OG/C Tapuvae Amaama (UT) Offered

If I was SU I would move on. People will say he should look at all his options but as a fan I want a person 100 % wanting to attend SU. Now with the portal when you have players that are not sold great likelihood they will be in the portal quickly especially when they live far away.
He's only taken two OVs. If I'm him I definitely take all five and know for sure where I want to go.

If I was SU I would move on. People will say he should look at all his options but as a fan I want a person 100 % wanting to attend SU. Now with the portal when you have players that are not sold great likelihood they will be in the portal quickly especially when they live far away.
Totally disagree. Only reason he's considering SU is b/c Anae might be the OC. When you take a look at UVa's roster, recruits, and decommits, you see that the Mormon pipeline was an essential factor.

Not a lot of people from Utah have come here, and we haven't heretofore been a destination for many Mormon football players. It's unreasonable to expect him to be '100% committed', at least not yet. Especially since Anae is not on board yet.

No reason we should move on from him. Just as there is no reason to stop what we're doing to wait on him.

I know one Mormon person from my time at Cuse and I think there's one church and a small but happy Mormon community in CNY.

I know one Mormon person from my time at Cuse and I think there's one church and a small but happy Mormon community in CNY.
We can make him feel right at home by channeling the Osmonds:

"Welcome To Syracuse University--A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock 'n Roll":

Last edited:
Especially a high school player, with the remaining slots should all be from the portal. We don't need anymore potential players in this class. We need players who can come in and play next year, not more who might be able to play in a year or two.

Especially a high school player, with the remaining slots should all be from the portal. We don't need anymore potential players in this class. We need players who can come in and play next year, not more who might be able to play in a year or two.
No, the # of high school signings is not high. Plenty of room for the right players.

I don’t get people who say we should dump a young man because upon likely reflection and counsel he is taking all of his visits to make an informed decision. I mean really, what is wrong with some of you to be thinking that? Do you not have kids? Have you never taken a step back before to perhaps more fully contemplate what is a pretty important life decision? Mind boggling that we have adults on this board who get upset at teenagers for looking to make informed decisions. Let Amaama take the time he needs, we should want that. Rant over, have a Merry Christmas everyone! If you made it this far, here’s a robot chicken reward for ya.
D55F3C68-2833-4094-879E-71D8F106D339.gif

I don’t get people who say we should dump a young man because upon likely reflection and counsel he is taking all of his visits to make an informed decision. I mean really, what is wrong with some of you to be thinking that? Do you not have kids? Have you never taken a step back before to perhaps more fully contemplate what is a pretty important life decision? Mind boggling that we have adults on this board who get upset at teenagers for looking to make informed decisions. Let Amaama take the time he needs, we should want that. Rant over, have a Merry Christmas everyone! If you made it this far, here’s a robot chicken reward for ya.
View attachment 212047
Especially when they dont know the details. They have no clue if the SU staff is slow playing this kid. Who knows? They could have told him he is 2nd on their board or that he doesn't have a spot anymore. Sometimes we forget recruiting is fluid. We all want it to make sense based on the info we have but things can change within a day.

Merry Christmas to you

Last edited:
Especially when they dont know the details. They have no clue if the SU staff is slow playing this kid. Who knows? They could have told him he is 2nd on their board or that he doesn't have a spot anymore. Sometimes we forget recruiting is fluid. We all want it to make sense based on the info we have but things can change within a day.

Merry Christmas to you
My only concern is we don 't need any more High School players at this time. The remaining players for this class should be from the portal.
We need players who can step in and play next year. Unless we have a can't miss High School player, get the remainder of the class as transfers.

My only concern is we don 't need any more High School players at this time. The remaining players for this class should be from the portal.
We need players who can step in and play next year. Unless we have a can't miss High School player, get the remainder of the class as transfers.

IF this guy projects as a solid future contributor, and we haven't filled the slot with a portal OL option, then fine -
we'll still take him if/when he commits.

But it's a 2 way street, and we'll keep evaluating our options too.
There are a LOT more fish in the sea/OL in the portal, and as you stated - we really, REALLY need guys who can contribute right away, since there's really no tomorrow beyond this upcoming season.

Nothing against him, but - I hope we're able to recruit over him in the next few weeks.

Right, we lost some depth. they have to use those slots for transfers but it doesn't mean the staff is not going to bring in a few more HS kids. They might want to bring in another young guard/center type.

We can bring in like 17 more kids. Plenty of room for more high school kids. Can't imagine any scenario based in reality where we bring in 17 portal kids in the next few months.

We can bring in like 17 more kids. Plenty of room for more high school kids. Can't imagine any scenario based in reality where we bring in 17 portal kids in the next few months.
We’re at 75 right now for next year, only have 10 spots open currently and that doesn’t include any PWO’s that could get converted to scholarship like Darton or Devaughn Cooper.

We’re at 75 right now for next year, only have 10 spots open currently and that doesn’t include any PWO’s that could get converted to scholarship like Darton or Devaughn Cooper.
Need to add the extra 7 for portal replacements.

kid Is rated at "almost .86"...in the top 50(inside off. line) of this class(2022) by 2/4/7.
offered by UVa./Miami and BYU. If Schmidt sez go...WHY NOT?

I disagree that "we don't need any more high school players".

IMO, we need to maintain a roster that is balanced by class. Covid created a severe imbalance with an excessive number of freshmen on our roster last year; Covid RS Fr from the class of 2019, Covid freshmen from the class of 2020 and the true freshman from the 2021 class. We were able to redshirt most of the 2021 class which will help create some separation between the classes.

2022OLWRRBFB/TEQBDLLBDBKP/KLSTotal
RS Sr2**1*1*1*1*6
Sr1*1
RS Jr3**1*1*5
Jr1*1*1*1*4
RS So32*113*10
So2*3*1*2*12**4***116
RS Fr53135219
Fr2112224115
Scholarships18114338101512176
PWO13313151*320
Total191773411112013496

If you accept the premise that most players entering the portal are looking for more playing time than they were getting at their previous school, then Syracuse isn't going to be very attractive to many of the kids in the portal. This is why most players from Cuse entered the portal. This is also what makes the Juwaun Price addition more impressive; a quality RB who is willing to come in and compete for time behind a Heisman candidate.

Despite Shrader's deficiencies in his passing game it's not going to be easy to find a Sr or grad transfer QB who is going to be willing to come in and potentially sit behind a returning starter. The Shrader/DeVito situation was different last year because Shrader was younger than DeVito and could be sold on a future after DeVito graduated.

The chart above shows our current scholarship distribution by class and position. Those with the asterisk were identified as making significant contributions in 2021; starting LB's, DB's with more than 400 snaps, WR with more than 250 snaps, and OL who played more than 400 snaps.

Our OL did fairly well in 2021 (ask Sean Tucker), but we still need to improve. With Bergeron (Jr), Davis (RS Sr), Vettorello (RS Jr), Bleich (Jr), Ellis (Fr) and Tisdale (Sr) all slated to return, are we going to be able to convince a quality OL from the portal to come to Cuse? And, if we do bring in a guy from the portal, what does that do to the younger OL that we are developing? Will they decide to hit the portal if they feel their chance for playing time at Cuse is blocked by a guy coming in from the portal? What does that do to the team chemistry? Do we really want to enter the vicious cycle of trying to replace guys who leave via the portal with other guys from the portal? I say no.

We appear to have 9 scholarships remaining. I would consider the following.
  • 3 DL; 1 Sr, + 1 Jr, +1 Fr (two from the portal, one HS)
  • 1 WR; an upper classman (Sr or Jr) from the portal
  • 2 TE; 1 upper classman from the portal + 1 HS
  • 1 QB; an upper classman (Sr or Grad xfer) from the portal or a HS player to develop
  • 1 RB; an upper classman (Sr or Jr) from the portal or a HS player to develop
  • 1 OL from high school (preferably an interior OL)
That's 4 to 6 from the portal (2 DL, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 QB and 1 RB), and 3 to 5 from HS (1 DL, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 QB and 1 RB).

Of course, we should consider any difference maker regardless of position if the coaches believe there is such a player.

We currently have 20 PWO's. This will change and may start changing as soon as the start of the spring semester which will allow coaches to offer more guys from the 2022 class.

Do we really need:
  • 2 scholarship punters? The kid who handled the punting at the end of the season is still a PWO.
  • 3 PWO long snapper?
  • 3 PWO running backs? All RS Fr?
  • 5 PWO DB's? Even if we need 5, they need to be spread out and not all in the same class.
The 2022 class is important. We only have 7 seniors and 9 juniors on the roster, which means opening for the 2023 class could be limited. That said, you never know what the portal will do to us in 2022.

After spring ball, fill behind any new transfers with players from the portal. Primarily because quality high school recruits won't be available.

While reviewing this I realize I made a mistake and counted Devaughn Cooper (WR) as a scholarship guy. He should be IMO.

Last edited:
Need to add the extra 7 for portal replacements.
No. That isn't the wording of the new rule. They only get to replace portal transfers IF they can't make the 85 cap without a full class. Right now the class is at 15 and the scholarships are at 75 total. That leaves only 10 more open spots. Reading comprehension is a fundamental.

No. That isn't the wording of the new rule. They only get to replace portal transfers IF they can't make the 85 cap without a full class. Right now the class is at 15 and the scholarships are at 75 total. That leaves only 10 more open spots. Reading comprehension is a fundamental.
We need 10 more players who can contribute this year.

IMO, we need to maintain a roster that is balanced by class. Covid created a severe imbalance with an excessive number of freshmen on our roster last year; Covid RS Fr from the class of 2019, Covid freshmen from the class of 2020 and the true freshman from the 2021 class. We were able to redshirt most of the 2021 class which will help create some separation between the classes.

RS Sr2**1*1*1*1*6
Sr1*1
RS Jr3**1*1*5
Jr1*1*1*1*4
RS So32*113*10
So2*3*1*2*12**4***116
RS Fr53135219
Fr2112224115
PWO13313151*320
Total191773411112013496

If you accept the premise that most players entering the portal are looking for more playing time than they were getting at their previous school, then Syracuse isn't going to be very attractive to many of the kids in the portal. This is why most players from Cuse entered the portal. This is also what makes the Juwaun Price addition more impressive; a quality RB who is willing to come in and compete for time behind a Heisman candidate.

Despite Shrader's deficiencies in his passing game it's not going to be easy to find a Sr or grad transfer QB who is going to be willing to come in and potentially sit behind a returning starter. The Shrader/DeVito situation was different last year because Shrader was younger than DeVito and could be sold on a future after DeVito graduated.

The chart above shows our current scholarship distribution by class and position. Those with the asterisk were identified as masking significant contributions in 2021; starting LB's, DB's with more than 400 snaps, WR with more than 250 snaps, and OL who played more than 400 snaps.

Our OL did fairly well in 2021 (ask Sean Tucker), but we still need to improve. With Bergeron (Jr), Davis (RS Sr), Vettorello (RS Jr), Bleich (Jr), Ellis (Fr) and Tisdale (Sr) all slated to return, are we going to be able to convince a quality OL from the portal to come to Cuse? And, if we do bring in a guy from the portal, what does that do to the younger OL that we are developing? Will they decide to hit the portal if they feel their chance for playing time at Cuse is blocked by a guy coming in from the portal? What does that do to the team chemistry? Do we really want to enter the vicious cycle of trying to replace guys who leave via the portal with other guys from the portal? I say no.

• 1 QB; an upper classman (Sr or Grad xfer) from the portal or a HS player to develop
That's 4 to 6 from the portal (2 DL, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 QB and 1 RB), and 3 to 5 from HS (1 DL, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 QB and 1 RB).

Of course, we should consider any difference maker regardless of position if the coaches believe there is such a player.

We currently have 20 PWO's. This will change and may start changing as soon as the start of the spring semester which will allow coaches to offer more guys from the 2022 class.

Do we really need:
  • 2 scholarship punters? The kid who handled the punting at the end of the season is still a PWO.
  • 3 PWO long snapper?
  • 5 PWO DB's? Even if we need 5, they need to be spread out and not all in the same class.
The 2022 class is important. We only have 7 seniors and 9 juniors on the roster, which means opening for the 2023 class could be limited. That said, you never know what the portal will do to us in 2022.

After spring ball, fill behind any new transfers with players from the portal. Primarily because quality high school recruits won't be available.

While reviewing this I realize I made a mistake and counted Devaughn Cooper (WR) as a scholarship guy. He should be IMO.
Fantastic post thank you

RS Sr2**1*1*1*1*6
Sr1*1
RS Jr3**1*1*5
Jr1*1*1*1*4
RS So32*113*10
So2*3*1*2*12**4***116
RS Fr53135219
Fr2112224115
PWO13313151*320
Total191773411112013496

The chart above shows our current scholarship distribution by class and position. Those with the asterisk were identified as making significant contributions in 2021; starting LB's, DB's with more than 400 snaps, WR with more than 250 snaps, and OL who played more than 400 snaps.

Do we really need:
  • 3 PWO long snapper?

Nice breakdown. Good insight. I think Juwan Price is example of the type of transfers they will get. Guys that are good at G5 school's that want to make the jump to P5 and are willing to work for a spot. That's how the staff will improve depth in areas where they lost. Also, someone mentioned the decision to bring in a transfer QB will be depend on how they feel about Lamson and Morgan. I agree with that. I think Lamson and Morgan will leave if you bring in another guy with experience or starter potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom