Ogundeko | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Ogundeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly Beaulieu didn't get recruited over ... he just never met his potential ... its not like we had 4 star guys lining up to surpass him ... we had established starters in place since he's been there and he has yet to over whealm his peer group ... screams underachieving to me ... not being recruited over ...

I guess this is where we differ on this discussion with recruiting over vs. underachieving.

Our established starters (for the record, I agree with you about the DL pass rush from an earlier post) were not that good. Beaulieu was the most hyped of any guy Syracuse recruited on the DL in years. He wasn't really a potential guy to me (3 star with the offers he had seemed to tell me he was a guy to contribute right away). Being from FL with the track record Syracuse had on guys from Florida also led me to believe he was a "play right away" guy. But, he didn't perform. So, he fell to the back of the depth chart and eventually changed positions. And, like I said, being a rotation guy on the DL isn't that difficult nowadays (though I wish the staff redshirted Crume instead of having him in the rotation).

To me, that means he got recruited over. I obviously don't know the kid or saw him play, so couldn't tell you if he underachieved since I am only evaluating on offers/hype.

If EO chooses to go to a factory with established starters in place and didn't overwhelm his peer group, wouldn't that be underachieving as opposed to getting recruited over?

For factories, I know you can make the argument that his peer group would be better. But, when we are discussing his career and things of the like, you would need to beat out those kids at some point to make it in the league.

I guess this is where we differ on this discussion with recruiting over vs. underachieving.

Our established starters (for the record, I agree with you about the DL pass rush from an earlier post) were not that good. Beaulieu was the most hyped of any guy Syracuse recruited on the DL in years. He wasn't really a potential guy to me (3 star with the offers he had seemed to tell me he was a guy to contribute right away). Being from FL with the track record Syracuse had on guys from Florida also led me to believe he was a "play right away" guy. But, he didn't perform. So, he fell to the back of the depth chart and eventually changed positions. And, like I said, being a rotation guy on the DL isn't that difficult nowadays (though I wish the staff redshirted Crume instead of having him in the rotation).

To me, that means he got recruited over. I obviously don't know the kid or saw him play, so couldn't tell you if he underachieved since I am only evaluating on offers/hype.

If EO chooses to go to a factory with established starters in place and didn't overwhelm his peer group, wouldn't that be underachieving as opposed to getting recruited over?

For factories, I know you can make the argument that his peer group would be better. But, when we are discussing his career and things of the like, you would need to beat out those kids at some point to make it in the league.

That is why I see him as underachieving IMHO ... because he had the offers ... the hype and no one else on the DE came in with his recruiting profile while he has been at SU ... had we pulled a 4 star or something like that then maybe ... but Micah Robinson, Donnie Simmons and others didn't have his recruiting profile coming into SU ... now if they grabbed a guy like Lynch (a big time 4 star) then I would say absolutely recruited over ... but in my heart I feel he just underachieved ... now a guy like Hilliard had a nice offer set and I think with a guy like him you could say he Max was recruited over ... but Hilliard hasn't made it to campus and doesn't sound like he will until next season. We haven't recruited a DE with Max's resume ... Yet ... come on EO be that guy!

I'm amazed that ND has convinced him he can be an OLB. Same thing they did with Ishaq.

And in other news, ND's defense will continue to suck against decent teams.

That is very true. Chalk me up in the category that never understood why Brandon Sharpe played on special teams for the single purpose of running into 3 guys. I understand the wedge buster, but if he is a DE with potential, why expose him to that?
I'm ok with it. We have a history of putting starters on special teams and Sharpe was only a situational back-up. Keith Bullock was on kickoff coverage his senior year until he asked off because he said it draining him too much to stay fresh in the fourth quarter. You can never predict when a guy is going to get hurt or how it's gonna happen. Hindsight is 20/20.

could be a huge visit coming up...could it be the one that allows doug and this staff to knock one out of the park?
In addition to the Anzalone comit the article where EO talks about what he is looking for from his cuse visit seems to leave the door open to me..

Head coach Will Muschamp and the rest of the University of Florida Gator football coaching staff are closing in on a full class for 2013. The Gator coaches are sitting on 18 verbal commitments for this year's class and as ships are getting tight the decisions moving forward become more and more difficult by the day.

To be a fly on the wall and know what UFs' priorities are.

pretty sure from ND is focused on bigger fish (that is the gist from some ND sites)

Florida may not have the room and are trying to get him to hold off until others decide

We want him - we need him ... the next week seals the deal (Gus / Visit)

Fla has 2 OLB commits. A 4 star (#14) and a 3 star(#32) and no DE's.
ND has 3 OLB commits. A 5 star (#1) and 2 3 stars (#4 & #24). 2 DE commits. Both 4 stars (#11 & #26).

He mentioned he's not worried about competition but ND sounds pretty full.

pretty sure from ND is focused on bigger fish (that is the gist from some ND sites)

Florida may not have the room and are trying to get him to hold off until others decide

We want him - we need him ... the next week seals the deal (Gus / Visit)

ND has 17 kids in the fold including 4 linebackers and 2 defensive ends.

According to a recruiting site they have offers out to 12 other defensive ends and 4 linebackers; in addition to EO.

The 3 outside linebacker commitments are all highly rated. This in addition to who's on their roster along with a bunch of DEnds. It makes me wonder where EO fits in.

What amazes me is how early it is in the recruiting cycle and these classes are just about full and it appears there are still a lot of high profile guys out there for the taking ...

As long as Momma shows up with Ebo we have a shot. Momma will get her way. You'll look great in blue and orange Momma!

I'm new to the site, so I apologize if I repeat what others have already said. I agree that getting Gus tomorrow would be a big step in furthering SU's growing presence in the NYC area. A lot of people seeem pretty sure that he's SU's to lose at this point. As SU fans I'm sure most of us won't feel 100% secure until the LOI is signed. That's even more the case with EO. The way he's changed his mind, if he somehow commits to SU, I might just pick him up and drive him to campus to ensure he makes it. As a season ticket holder, would that be a violation?! ;-) I like the looks of this site and even see a few friends from a "rival" site. Let's Go Orange!!!

I'm new to the site, so I apologize if I repeat what others have already said. I agree that getting Gus tomorrow would be a big step in furthering SU's growing presence in the NYC area. A lot of people seeem pretty sure that he's SU's to lose at this point. As SU fans I'm sure most of us won't feel 100% secure until the LOI is signed. That's even more the case with EO. The way he's changed his mind, if he somehow commits to SU, I might just pick him up and drive him to campus to ensure he makes it. As a season ticket holder, would that be a violation?! ;-) I like the looks of this site and even see a few friends from a "rival" site. Let's Go Orange!!!
Welcome! I think just about everything is a violation these days.

ND has 17 kids in the fold including 4 linebackers and 2 defensive ends.

According to a recruiting site they have offers out to 12 other defensive ends and 4 linebackers; in addition to EO.

The 3 outside linebacker commitments are all highly rated. This in addition to who's on their roster along with a bunch of DEnds. It makes me wonder where EO fits in.
According to one site, ND still has 64 offers out to top end 3 star to 5 star recruits. They pretty much just offer to evreybody and use that gold helmet as bait.

With ND filling up quick, and Fla also in the same boat, I would think with AE committ today, that SU stock just went way up in the battle for EO. He did make it clear he wanted to play right away, ain't happening at ND or Fla. No way.

I agree Van but everything I see from EO leads me to believe that he is going to Florida...I'm not an insider or have no direct knowledge but he seems to be talking to FL players and recruits all the time...Take it for what it worth (nothing really) but just don't have a good feeling about EO to Cuse

I agree Van but everything I see from EO leads me to believe that he is going to Florida...I'm not an insider or have no direct knowledge but he seems to be talking to FL players and recruits all the time...Take it for what it worth (nothing really) but just don't have a good feeling about EO to Cuse
I feel they same way. He has a lot of contact with florida fans.

I feel they same way. He has a lot of contact with florida fans.

I'm not so sure that it will be UF. I just get the perception that where Gus is the quiet type Eb is a social butterfly. He's always looking for twitter followers.
It's not all in Eb's hands either. UF and ND are filling up and it all goes to need and numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.