Ogundeko | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ogundeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my memory serves me correctly, the star system came about around 1999?

Since then we've only had (1) 5 star commitment. Ever. (Johnnie Morant 2000)

So yeah, getting guys who are PERCEIVED top talents like Jarron/Ishag/Ogundeko is a long long putt. (Thankfully star ratings are just perceptions otherwise ND would be perennial champions.)

Clifton Smith was a top 100 kid on everybody's lists way back when and besides Konrad I don't recall landing any other top 100 type kid - ever - Marvin Harrison maybe? We've only ever had two Parade All Americans that I can remember as well - Damien Mallory and Curtis Brinkley.

We've never been quite a destination school. Though I do believe with success, the right staff doing the selling and the ACC we'll pull more quality kids.

If Ogundeko bails on Syracuse we're still heavily involved with a top shelf DE out of Indiana - Elijah Daniels. HE's a loong putt as well but is rumored to have a very tight relationship with Wheatley and does currenlty list Syracuse in his top 5.

If Ogundeko goes to ND, it's his loss and I can't wait to read the reports his freshman season about being homesick, isolated and thinking of transferring.

Syracuse has got to stop with "we are NY's CFB Program" and realize they have to become a program before claiming any turf. We are 3rd if not 4th in pulling top talent out of NY. Maybe it is time we put some more effort in individuals, no matter where they come from, that will make this program what it should be. Take a lesson out of Boise play book, see your product, improve your product, and the kids will come to you, no matter where you are. I for one saw all this coming a long time ago with Ebeneezer. If he choses us, great, if not say Hi to Ishaq and JJ and see you in 2014. DM said it best last year when he told Morgan; "you have to feel it is right for you to be here!"

When kids start saying that as Morgan did last year, then we got a program and maybe claim to a state. Unless recruiting improves, all this program can hope for is over achieving each year, as we did the year before. Mid 50's recruiting classes don't cut it.

This is a terrible post debbie downer, so many things wrong with this i dont even know where to start or if i have the time. If i had a dislike button i would have hit it.

Clifton Smith was a top 100 kid on everybody's lists way back when and besides Konrad I don't recall landing any other top 100 type kid - ever - Marvin Harrison maybe? We've only ever had two Parade All Americans that I can remember as well - Damien Mallory and Curtis Brinkley.

We've never been quite a destination school. Though I do believe with success, the right staff doing the selling and the ACC we'll pull more quality kids.

If Ogundeko bails on Syracuse we're still heavily involved with a top shelf DE out of Indiana - Elijah Daniels. HE's a loong putt as well but is rumored to have a very tight relationship with Wheatley and does currenlty list Syracuse in his top 5.

If Ogundeko goes to ND, it's his loss and I can't wait to read the reports his freshman season about being homesick, isolated and thinking of transferring.

Wouldn't be surprised if ND swoops in on Daniel too.

Man!...It seems everytime (recently) ND is involved with NY talent they end up sweeping them right from under our feet.
Sorry to sound a bit negative but we've seen it happen more than once in the last couple of years.

Nevertheless,...we have to believe the staff is going to go to war and keep these guys in-state.

Man!...It seems everytime (recently) ND is involved with NY talent they end up sweeping them right from under our feet.
Sorry to sound a bit negative but we've seen it happen more than once in the last couple of years.

Nevertheless,...we have to believe the staff is going to go to war and keep these guys in-state.
well, there were no guarantees that the kid from Rochester was going to SU regardless of what ND did, so really it's only happened once. Ebeneezer seems to really enjoy all his visits (see UConn visit) so this by no means guarantees ND will end up getting this kid. I think in the end he'll decide to play with his buddies up at SU. Now if Kelly and his minions start pulling creepy stalker recruiting tactics like with Ishaq again, then all bets are off - but hopefully most kids would be more turned off by that nonsense than impressed.

IMac and Spot Parade all americans and top 100 recruits. Scott Freeney was Georgia player of the year and USA today first teamer. Dulayne Morgan was a defensive national player of the year and first team USA Today.

NYPost_Brazille Ogundeko moved back commitment because he wants to take official visits in the fall. #psalfootball

I think that it's smart for Eb to take officials. Hopefully when he visits ND Kelly is having a full fledged apopletic tirade on the field.

@OrangeFizz
Catching up with Ebenezer Ogundeko: Will be making his decision at the Under Armour All-American game in January. -Fitz

Never a good omen for us...

Syracuse has got to stop with "we are NY's CFB Program" and realize they have to become a program before claiming any turf. We are 3rd if not 4th in pulling top talent out of NY. Maybe it is time we put some more effort in individuals, no matter where they come from, that will make this program what it should be. Take a lesson out of Boise play book, see your product, improve your product, and the kids will come to you, no matter where you are. I for one saw all this coming a long time ago with Ebeneezer. If he choses us, great, if not say Hi to Ishaq and JJ and see you in 2014. DM said it best last year when he told Morgan; "you have to feel it is right for you to be here!"

When kids start saying that as Morgan did last year, then we got a program and maybe claim to a state. Unless recruiting improves, all this program can hope for is over achieving each year, as we did the year before. Mid 50's recruiting classes don't cut it.

What other D1 team in NY is the CFB program? Oh wait, there isn't another BCS program in NY...

So why wouldn't we market as such?

Also, not sure how playing a gimmick offense would convince Ogundeko or Ishaq or JJ to come here since they all play on the defensive side of the ball...

Finally, you continuously bank our recruiting on an arbitrary number from a website that ranks prospects based on how many subscribers they have. If you want to bitch you can join MDB and Cali and 2 other posters over on Rivals/Scout. I'm sure they'd be pumped to have you.

NYPost_Brazille Ogundeko moved back commitment because he wants to take official visits in the fall. #psalfootball

I think that it's smart for Eb to take officials. Hopefully when he visits ND Kelly is having a full fledged apopletic tirade on the field.
Or has a full class and is looking to grey shirt him

What other D1 team in NY is the CFB program? Oh wait, there isn't another BCS program in NY...

Also, not sure how playing a gimmick offense would convince Ogundeko or Ishaq or JJ to come here since they all play on the defensive side of the ball...

Finally, you continuously bank our recruiting on an arbitrary number from a website that ranks prospects based on how many subscribers they have. If you want to bitch you can join MDB and Cali and 2 other posters over on Rivals/Scout. I'm sure they'd be pumped to have you.
he rankings are pretty much coin flipping and "what do you think bouncing around the table. About as subjective a process imaginable. Sure I want the higher number of stars because even subjective BS is probably accurate to some extent.

Kind of why I made the contradicting himself comment.

I like the way that Boise has developed their program and I think they are a great example for a school to become a top 10 program without being in a recruiting hotbed...and I think Syracuse can/will follow the same path. However, to mention Boise as a model and then harp on recruiting classes in the mid 50's is a complete contradiction. Boise's recruiting ranking on Rivals the past 6 years is as follows:

2007 - 68
2008 - 89
2009 - 72
2010 - 82
2011 - 53
2012 - 54

This while fielding top 15 programs consistently. Their 2009 team finished the season #4 overall and that resulted in a recruiting class ranked #82 in 2010. Boise's whole model is centered around mining local and regional talent that is overlooked and developing it, very similar to what Marrone is doing with the NYS recruits he has landed. That won't equate to top 25 recruiting classes if you follow that model. They may nationally recruit, but if you look at the kids that actually commit to play there, they are predominantly from the Northwest and Southwest.

I think realistically Syracuse, if we keep on the path of pursuing underrecruited in state talent as well as the studs, and landing more of the former than latter, will never crack the top 35 in recruiting. And I don't necessarily think we have to to have a successful program.

@OrangeFizz
Catching up with Ebenezer Ogundeko: Will be making his decision at the Under Armour All-American game in January. -Fitz

Never a good omen for us...

Kiss of death. Thats like a recruit just taking a last second fun visit to a Florida school in late January, it never ends well.

The same arbitrary numbers every major college team uses, and your point is? If proof is in the numbers, and we have been a perineal 50-60th ranked recruiting university on average for the past 12 years, and have had, lets see, 1 winning season over that period and an average final ranking of over 60+ nationally in the win/loss column (Actually closer to 70th), then heck, you are absolutely right...why does anyone even bother to look at their ratings and observations. Its just a coincidence is all that our recruiting strength matches our win columns.

Now, I get your point about complaining, but heck I said the same things you are when Gregg Robinson took over, be patient, give the guy some time. Now, to be fair, DM is no GR. We are much better off than we have been since the mid to late 90's for sure. He has something besides just skills in coaching, character! He is also a fantastic early evaluater in talent. Check out the new ESPN ratings, impressive how DM smells talent so early.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/183/class/2013/page/considering

Where we are falling short is simple, closing! Whether it is in NY, PA, FL or GA we aren't closing enough on the talent he identified so early. When that happens, and you start bringing in some of these kids they have worked so hard for, you will see a program on the comeback. I know it doesn't happen over night, but this is 3rd plus 1 year of recruiting. I do look at Scout, Rivals and others as a guage, yes. So don't all of you. I don't make judgements based solely on anyone of them. But numbers don't lie, especially over time. But, again to your point, I will be more positive instead of cynical. After all we all share one common interest, a return of the Syracuse Program as a respected power house in CFB.

Go Orange

Van- It's not all about recruiting. Alabama gets top classes, but also pays assistant coaches huge sums of money to develop that talent.

Clemson gets top classes, but they don't seem to do a heck of a lot once they step on campus.

Coach Marrone does do a great job of identifying talent early. But he and the staff also seem to be doing a decent job of picking up talent late. However, like most kids, this talent needs a year or two or three to be at a level that allows the team to be competitive.

I think the proof will be in the pudding this year and next year. All of Marrone's receivers will be older and stronger, the LBs will be more experienced, the secondary will be outrageous, and the OL will, well hopefully be good.

Ok would be a great get fantastic but until we start to win it will remain hard to compete against schools like ND. Still we are in pretty good shape at DE and im sure that Doug and crew will find a few more gems who want to wear orange.

Kind of why I made the contradicting himself comment.

I like the way that Boise has developed their program and I think they are a great example for a school to become a top 10 program without being in a recruiting hotbed...and I think Syracuse can/will follow the same path. However, to mention Boise as a model and then harp on recruiting classes in the mid 50's is a complete contradiction. Boise's recruiting ranking on Rivals the past 6 years is as follows:

2007 - 68
2008 - 89
2009 - 72
2010 - 82
2011 - 53
2012 - 54

This while fielding top 15 programs consistently. Their 2009 team finished the season #4 overall and that resulted in a recruiting class ranked #82 in 2010. Boise's whole model is centered around mining local and regional talent that is overlooked and developing it, very similar to what Marrone is doing with the NYS recruits he has landed. That won't equate to top 25 recruiting classes if you follow that model. They may nationally recruit, but if you look at the kids that actually commit to play there, they are predominantly from the Northwest and Southwest.

I think realistically Syracuse, if we keep on the path of pursuing underrecruited in state talent as well as the studs, and landing more of the former than latter, will never crack the top 35 in recruiting. And I don't necessarily think we have to to have a successful program.
Absoluetly right, I had Boise on the brain from another thread. I should have said OK State. They are a perineal just outside the top 25 in recruiting, I believe low 30's, were SU used to be. I believe they have had 9 winning seasons in the last 10 years with 8 bowl victories.

Van- It's not all about recruiting. Alabama gets top classes, but also pays assistant coaches huge sums of money to develop that talent.

Clemson gets top classes, but they don't seem to do a heck of a lot once they step on campus.

Coach Marrone does do a great job of identifying talent early. But he and the staff also seem to be doing a decent job of picking up talent late. However, like most kids, this talent needs a year or two or three to be at a level that allows the team to be competitive.

I think the proof will be in the pudding this year and next year. All of Marrone's receivers will be older and stronger, the LBs will be more experienced, the secondary will be outrageous, and the OL will, well hopefully be good.
Oh, I agree with you, ad in Miami and FSU to this list. I also see these next two years as crucial as far as direction for nay sayers like me. Guess I got spoiled in the late 80's and 90's and expected it to last forever. I also have to remind myslef that SU hasn't even sold out for god knows how long now at the dome. Heck, these southern schools have more people come to a practice than what we get for games. So, maybe my expectations for the program are a bit over zelous, but why not! Thanks for the reminder "LeMoyne". I'll be traveling to opening day at the Dome, like every year for the last 20+ (-1).

It doesn't matter when we bringing I knife to a gun fight.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors