Oh goodies, now PedSt players are suing | Syracusefan.com

Oh goodies, now PedSt players are suing

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
I guess these former players feel they have been damaged because wins were vacated. I wonder if they have sent a letter apologizing to the kid who was raped in the team hotel of the Alamo Bowl.

http://t.co/TZWf2Ku4

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I guess these former players feel they have been damaged because wins were vacated. I wonder if they have sent a letter apologizing to the kid who was raped in the team hotel of the Alamo Bowl.

http://t.co/TZWf2Ku4

Why would they send a letter apologizing to the child? Penn State the school and administration yes but the players I am failing to see the connection.

That doesn't look like a suit, it's an NCAA appeal. Very different, and also possibly the preamble to an actual suit.

Every one of those players, IMO, has lived out a self-fulfilling prophecy. "We're not jerks, and this appeal will reinstate our good names." Bzzzzt. I would not have automatically assumed that any one player, or group of them, deserved harsh judgment. By stepping forward this way, they've made it obvious.

Why would they send a letter apologizing to the child? Penn State the school and administration yes but the players I am failing to see the connection.

Because in the midst of their persecution complex they somehow came to the conclusion that they are victims.

But aside from that, is there ONE penn state alumni calling for this madness to end? Just one who doesn't worship Paterno, doesn't think that they are a victim too, thinks that the University deserved the punishment. Just one. I honestly haven't seen one since the Freeh report came out.

I have had enough of these people and I am not going o read any more posts about them. Crusty is going to boycott them!

What do these players feel they have to gain from this appeal? Serious question, no idea what their goal is.

The only language/message that will apparently get the message across is the "death penalty"... now increased to 5 years.

the bottom line here, is that the penn staters have made clear what we all thought all along, which is that football was ultimately more important than anything else to them. they really, honestly, don't give a rat's ass about the victims. they have made themselves into the victims. i suspected they were weirdos when we played them at the dome, and i really suspected them when i went down there for the game a few years ago. but they have revealed themselves to be far stranger than i could have thought, and i thought they were pretty strange to begin with. these people live in a bubble, and they honestly, truely just don't get it. penn state is not the end all be all. the vast majority of people don't give a damn about penn state or joe pa. the only thing that is nationally relevant about them is this scandal, and everything they say makes it worse.

Was being facetious. Its all about the wins.

That doesn't look like a suit, it's an NCAA appeal. Very different, and also possibly the preamble to an actual suit.

Every one of those players, IMO, has lived out a self-fulfilling prophecy. "We're not jerks, and this appeal will reinstate our good names." Bzzzzt. I would not have automatically assumed that any one player, or group of them, deserved harsh judgment. By stepping forward this way, they've made it obvious.

Yea, I should have said appeal.

I love this particular passage in that letter of appeal:

"Many of the findings in the consent decree and in the Freeh report, including the determination that at Penn State "the football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency" are clearly erroneous, and not supported by the evidence."

Oh really?!? Seriously? I would say that human decency clearly took a back seat to PSU football in all of this. The person who wrote that should feel ashamed of himself/herself.

There's a lot of stupid people in the world, and apparently they're holding a convention this August in state college pa.

The ridiculousness is getting out of hand.

Is this a Penn St message board? Can we start talking SU football please?

Is this a Penn St message board? Can we start talking SU football please?
Like what? I think what we have to talk about is being pretty well covered by the existing threads.

Reply by the NCAA today regarding this appeal request.

"The Penn State sanctions are not subject to appeal."

i guess they can throw out the claims that paterno graduates smart players

My gut tells me the sanctions for Penn State get worse. I still think they get additional Sanctions down the road. Especially with all the law suits, and appeals, THey just dont get it.

Reply by the NCAA today regarding this appeal request.

"The Penn State sanctions are not subject to appeal."

Of course they aren't but it was never about the appeal. The denial of the appeal opens the trustees and the players to sue the NCAA. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts. I'm not sure the Trustees and players should be opening anything to official discovery. Any additional information not included in the Freeh Report would just open the school to additional sanctions.

Can we get a tinfoil hat PSU board? Listen, what the happened there was disgusting and awful. Those kids will never be the same because of some abhorrent decisions made by a few select individuals.

However, I believe I speak for a few others here when i getting a wee bit tired of PSU land. I don't think our board would be much better should we have have the same thing happen here.

Do you think John Wallace would be pissed off having his final four appearance vacated? I think he would be. Would you all be up in arms if JW and co protested that decision? I'm sure there would be posts on our hoops board to the effect of "what happened off the court had nothing to do with the on the court results, it's not as if we were paying players."

What happened in State College was a travesty, but human emotions are not drawn in black an white. Rather they are drawn in a complex palate of human emotions - disappointment, anger, apathy, etc.

I think it is best to acknowledge, digest, and move on.

Can we get a tinfoil hat PSU board? Listen, what the happened there was disgusting and awful. Those kids will never be the same because of some abhorrent decisions made by a few select individuals.

However, I believe I speak for a few others here when i getting a wee bit tired of PSU land. I don't think our board would be much better should we have have the same thing happen here.

Do you think John Wallace would be pissed off having his final four appearance vacated? I think he would be. Would you all be up in arms if JW and co protested that decision? I'm sure there would be posts on our hoops board to the effect of "what happened off the court had nothing to do with the on the court results, it's not as if we were paying players."

What happened in State College was a travesty, but human emotions are not drawn in black an white. Rather they are drawn in a complex palate of human emotions - disappointment, anger, apathy, etc.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree with it.

Maybe JW should have appealed the sanctions he walked into.

If you look back at the threads when the Fine situation first broke you'll see a lot of us here calling for JB to be fired before knowing all the fact (compare that with the continued deification of Paterno by a huge part of the fan base), a substantial portion of our fans here saying that if things turned out to be true and SU covered up for Bernie for all those years that we should voluntarily shut the program down for a year or two and come back with a completely different staff and start over. We had posters here chastising the people worried about basketball. There was genuine concern that the University covered up the incident to protect Bernie.

I have no idea how much of that was real and how much of that was simply not wanting to look like the Penn State fan base, but the tenor here versus their message boards was night and day.

And if Bernie was raping boys at the 96 Final Four a year or so after he was caught showering with a ball boy and still allowed to travel with young boys in his hotel room...and then was caught by Hop raping a boy in the shower at Manley after he got a golden parachute retirement...and then allowed to continue to bring boys to SU basketball games and use his SU connections to rape more boys...then yes, I think a lot of us here would want all those games from 96 vacated. If JB were as depraved a human being as Joe Paterno he wouldn't deserve to retire with 900+ wins. There would be anger and hurt feelings, but I think we would ultimately come to accept some scholarship reductions and a four year post season ban. A $60,000,000 fine would be catastrophic to Syracuse though.

This might be wishful thinking, but I think this board in particular would ultimately shout down any apologists and anyone who claimed that we as fans and alumni were victims. Except for after bad losses, we're mostly a pretty reasonable, informed and intelligent group. Look at the PSU R and S boards and you'll see a collection of people that are incredibly ill informed as to when and where "due process" applies along with the other basic legal concepts surrounding their current situation. I'd also venture to say that very few, if any, of the posters here measure their self-worth by SU's success on the basketball court. You can see that a lot of the PSU internet community really does seem to believe that their life will be significantly worse if they football team sucks. They seem dismissive of the opinions of people from schools with lesser football traditions that are trying to engage them in conversation.

The part of me that's a Syracuse fan would be depressed over a winter without SU basketball. Hopefully that part of me would be completely shot down by the part of me that realized that the only victims are the boys whose lives were essentially stolen from them.

And here, if you feel like perusing, is the first major thread about Bernie:
http://syracusefan.com/threads/bernie-fine-is-someone-playing-a-joke.7905/

You absolutely nailed it, as I stated a few weeks ago if something similar happened at SU the same sh$t would be going on here.

A little bit different in the type and forms of sanctions dont you think?

Understood, but do you honestly think the culture at Syracuse University or on this board would be any different than at State College or PSU board?

All we have to do is go back to the initial Fine saga to compare and contrast the two. How many players came out to support Bernie? How many posters pledged undying support to JB, etc? How many people here believed Tomaselli and the other accusers? I dont think there is one poster here who was 100 percent accurate in any of the previously mentioned subplots of the Fine drama.

I think it is patently wrong to declare every PSU player a Sandusky supporter or selfish if they want their wins back. These are players who spent countless hours on practice fields, in the weight room, watching film, and playing in the games. It is not as if they gained an unfair advantage over their opponents by the horrible actions of a few men.

I believe it was GOSU who posted a while back something to the effect of being against seeing a program slashed and burnt to the ground. I agree. These kids (current and former PSU players) did nothing wrong. Do they deserve to have their bowls, wins, and achievements taken away from them? I am not so sure. They were not receiving benefits from a few boosters. They were not getting paid, not getting cars ala SMU. They were not a direct participant in the crimes committed.

I selfishly want Syracuse to benefit from the penalties bestowed upon PSU. That is the fan in me. Do we deserve it? Probably not. We were not cheated wins because of what happened at PSU.