Oh well. Next... | Syracusefan.com

Oh well. Next...

Scooch

Living Legend
No anger, no frustration, no hurt feelings...this is just the business of football today. Like I said earlier in the week, Syracuse fans have been uniquely insulated from it forever. We're part of the club now.

I do feel for the players and recruits, since as always they're the ones who get stuck holding the bag while their "leader" bolts for a sick payday. Wish the NCAA allowed them a waiver to transfer without sitting out a year when this happens. But apparently keeping them chained to the school is good for the student-athlete.

And I am appreciative that Marrone got the program back on solid ground. I'm fairly stunned that the NFL came calling for an 8-5 Marrone, I figured it'd take at least a 10 win/major bowl season to do it. Hopefully we hire someone who can keep the momentum going. Like every coaching search, I'm not interested in rooting for someone or another. It ain't my job, hopefully Gross does his well.

Finally, in the spirit of our dear Kaiser, as a die-hard, Foxboro-raised, lifelong Pats fan, I hope Marrone's NFL tenure is a miserable failure. ;)

You're a bigger fan than me... Cause I'm angry, frustrated, and hurt. Marrone is dead to me and I hope he's a miserable failure. Next.

You're a bigger fan than me... Cause I'm angry, frustrated, and hurt. Marrone is dead to me and I hope he's a miserable failure. Next.

I don't blame people for being fans. Its just that I see the business-side of sports every day, so I have almost no human fan feelings left.

I'm like Spock, basically.

That is beyond lame.

Do you really think that a commitment to the job is a one way street? If he was miserable but given the resources he needed, my guess he's still here, but why put up with crap, not get what you need and stay if the big leagues want you?

That's not what he signed up for, and not what he committed to.

I don't blame people for being fans. Its just that I see the business-side of sports every day, so I have almost no human fan feelings left.

I'm like Spock, basically.

Live long and prosper, Scooch. Just don't make any bets where you might have to jump off of Gample Pavilion. That was you, right?

That is beyond lame.

Do you really think that a commitment to the job is a one way street? If he was miserable but given the resources he needed, my guess he's still here, but why put up with crap, not get what you need and stay if the big leagues want you?

I find it hard to imagine that Marrone wouldn't leave for the NFL even if he got all the resources he wanted. The siren call of the League is just too strong, especially for a guy who always had that ambition.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on that.

That is beyond lame.

You know, I get all that. But as a minimum, Marrone was at fault for not doing his homework.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Live long and prosper, Scooch. Just don't make any bets where you might have to jump off of Gample Pavilion. That was you, right?

Luckily that bet was with myself, so I weaseled out of it.

I did stop posting for 6 months. I've considered doing that again many times. ;)

I'm kind of in between. On one hand, NFL jobs are like gold, if you can get hired for one, you have to take it. Plus I think that recruiting at a school like SU is such a grind (minimal local talent to pull from) that it makes the NFL an even more attractive option. If Marrone just didn't realize to that extent how hard it was, then I can't fault him.

But then I read these posts about him just being upset about the way the program is run from the administration, and that it pushed him to the NFL when he could have already been there. That makes me lean toward him being a quitter who's a little bit full of . But at least that puts him in good company with most football coaches.

I still think more the former, and I'm sure I'll never know the true story, at least that I'd believe. As a Bills fan, I wish him the best of luck. Time to move on.

by taking the buffalo job it looks like he still hasnt

You know, I get all that. But as a minimum, Marrone was at fault for not doing his homework.

Luckily that bet was with myself, so I weaseled out of it.

I did stop posting for 6 months. I've considered doing that again many times. ;)

Nah, long may you post, Brother. Maybe we could apply that criteria to some other posters...

He has the Holy Grail of binders. What ever do you mean?

He forgot to look at the binder with SU on the cover and when you open it up the table of contents it says one word - CHEAP! It will never change. Do you think they are going to offer the next guy more than they paid Marrone? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! We should just stay with the Cathelic 7 and only play basketball. SU will never fully commit to football.

Whatever is said in public is bs, almost all coaches are looking for the big payday and to coach at the highest level. Nothing different with Marrone, I don't care what anyone says, many coaches in college are either being paid huge bucks or are not being pursued by NFL teams, dabo Sweeney or les miles aren't being hired by NFL teams.. Marrone has rebuilt a program to respectability with very limited resources.. Schiano did as well.. Schiano actually had more resources but you see the point

No anger, no frustration, no hurt feelings...this is just the business of football today. Like I said earlier in the week, Syracuse fans have been uniquely insulated from it forever. We're part of the club now.

I do feel for the players and recruits, since as always they're the ones who get stuck holding the bag while their "leader" bolts for a sick payday. Wish the NCAA allowed them a waiver to transfer without sitting out a year when this happens. But apparently keeping them chained to the school is good for the student-athlete.

And I am appreciative that Marrone got the program back on solid ground. I'm fairly stunned that the NFL came calling for an 8-5 Marrone, I figured it'd take at least a 10 win/major bowl season to do it. Hopefully we hire someone who can keep the momentum going. Like every coaching search, I'm not interested in rooting for someone or another. It ain't my job, hopefully Gross does his well.

Finally, in the spirit of our dear Kaiser, as a die-hard, Foxboro-raised, lifelong Pats fan, I hope Marrone's NFL tenure is a miserable failure. ;)
If hoping "Marrone's NFL tenure is a miserable failure" isn't due to "anger, frustration or hurt feelings" which you claim to be free from, than what is your motivation for hoping the guy fails?

Marrone left the program much better off than when he arrived. In the process of doing this he established himself as someone who would put a plan in place and execute it. His teams got steadily better and he won a few games based on creative schemes (e.g. blitzing the shxt out of Rutgers) That's what I think Buffalo saw in Marrone and not just the W/L record.

Getting better and better gigs is what coaching is all about. It's usually "up" or "out". That is the nature of the game. Mac left for the pros. P was fired. Maloney was fired and ended up selling baseball tickets. Ben was put out to pasture. He may have had some NFL offers.

That is beyond lame.

My sympathies go out to a man who made more than a million dollars a year. I'm playing my violin right now.

I find it hard to imagine that Marrone wouldn't leave for the NFL even if he got all the resources he wanted. The siren call of the League is just too strong, especially for a guy who always had that ambition.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on that.

He was on his way eventually, I never thought he was a lifer.

I always thought it would be a couple more years down the road from this point though.

Because I don't think it came down to that. The difference between my take and yours is... You feel SU is 100% to blame and Marrone deserves no blame, and I put it at 50/50. For the damage he's done and will continue to do to my program, I wish him nothing but bad luck from here on.

It wasn't about salary (from CTO). He may have been disappointed in the slow moving facilities drive, BUT the biggest issue cited by everyone I have talked to is... The negativity, the fact he was unappreciated, the fact that he was still listed on hotseats early this season, the fact that he received hate mail and the fact that all of this was affecting his family.

I'm angry cause I don't like the way he handled it, right down to not telling the team as soon as he knew.

I'm frustrated cause we are back in this situation again.

I'm hurt because I feel lied to.

That is beyond lame.

He forgot to look at the binder with SU on the cover and when you open it up the table of contents says one word - CHEAP! It will never change. Do you think they are going to offer the next guy more than they paid Marrone? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! We should just stay with the Cathelic 7 and only play basketball. SU will never fully commit to football.

We shall soon see if that sentiment is true. The way this is ultimately handled will set the tone for the program for the next 15-20 years, IMO.

For reasons not entirely clear to me, I have faith this will work out. Marrone may well end up being a catalyst to change.

If hoping "Marrone's NFL tenure is a miserable failure" isn't due to "anger, frustration or hurt feelings" which you claim to be free from, than what is your motivation for hoping the guy fails?

Marrone left the program much better off than when he arrived. In the process of doing this he established himself as someone who would put a plan in place and execute it. His teams got steadily better and he won a few games based on creative schemes (e.g. blitzing the shxt out of Rutgers) That's what I think Buffalo saw in Marrone and not just the W/L record.

Getting better and better gigs is what coaching is all about. It's usually "up" or "out". That is the nature of the game. Mac left for the pros. P was fired. Maloney was fired and ended up selling baseball tickets. Ben was put out to pasture. He may have had some NFL offers.

Ummm, did you not see the winking emoticon? It was a joke. A joke because I'm a New England Patriots fan. See, those two franchises compete in the same division of the National Football League. That division is the American Football Conference, East. Therefore the Bills doing poorly would likely enable my favorite team, the aforementioned Patriots, to perform better.

Are you in on it, now?

My sympathies go out to a man who made more than a million dollars a year. I'm playing my violin right now.

It was never about his paycheck.

I feel like someone just died. They are gone forever and all I have is a memory.

Dust in the wind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom