Ohio Bobcats (Week 1) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Bobcats (Week 1)

Let's say we start 0-2 (I don't think that will happen, but it's hard to say it's not a possibility).

Would you want to give him one more year because you don't want to face a 2-3 year rebuild? We'd have two straight seasons that would be as bad as any rebuild.
The line for me is “no confidence”… with everything taken as a whole (all the context) - this guy can’t get us back to being competitive for 2nd in our division, playing competitive games vs everyone outside of Clemson. Momentum is dried up on the recruiting trail.

My Cali picks are what I think of the talent. I am hoping I am wrong.
Those are what I expect. I am not going to give up hope until I see the roster.
The offense was so bad last year I am not going to dare to believe in it til I see it.
Our defense was a 6-7 win team last year with mediocre offense. The amount of turnovers and field position they got for the offense was off the hook.

That Louisville game last year was worse than GRob. It doesn’t get mentioned enough. I don’t care we struggled but we didn’t even look functional.
With the schedule we have we should go 6-6 if our coach actually does a good job.
Thank you, and I appreciate the explanation (as I expected you to do, as your opinions are generally thought out). I agree, I think our defense was a bright spot overall given what they were left to deal with from a woeful offense, injury, youth, etc., and I look forward to what they can do this year. If the offense can help out with increased time of possession and some scoring, that would be great. But the offense remains the biggest question mark...and the potential difference between 3-9 and 6-6 (to your point, obviously).

You don’t ignore the record. It is a result based business. When I push back on posts that throw out our record without context, it’s largely understanding that the AD has already taken a nuanced view and has factored in all the info and has specific thoughts on the winning %.

I’m advocating that we need to adopt a similar approach and avoid the lazy view that winning % without context is the beginning and the end of the conversation.

All of that said, I think he’s got a lot to answer for the 2019 season. We need to show improvement on the offensive side of the ball while getting to 6 wins, preferably not finishing last in our division would be good too.
Dino got 2 years of 4-8 and didn’t get much frustration at all.
I love the guy.
2018 was awesome.
You can’t have 2019 and 2020 after 2018.
The guy need a bowl appearance this year.
If we keep him with a non-bowl appearance then program isn’t serious.
Patience is not firing a coach after 2 bad years.
This is year 6.
The entire roster is his guys.
We have a soft schedule.
We aren’t playing blueblood nonconference games.
Clemson is the only automatic loss.

Dino’s job should be on the line this season. Bowl or bust.

2018 season opener at Western Michigan the OL got push right away. We scored the opening drive of the season. The defense got a pick on the first drive. We scored a lot. Defense had some breakdowns but played well enough.
Expecting that type of performance against Ohio.

DeVito has a strong arm but he has been broken. His pocket awareness is poor. The internal clock has to be a lot better. I just hope we can get mediocre QB play. The offense looks helpless in 3rd and long. This college football 2021 offenses should be moving the ball easily. We aren’t playing Alabama/Ohio State/Clemson every week which have deep DLs.

I really like Dino, and I expect a strong season from the team. He has had time to build, adjust and reboot. I want to see sustained drives, 3rd down attempts of less than 8 yards, a reliable running game, and less time on the field for the defense. I don’t care who the QB (or any player is for that matter) as long as we win. If we cannot muster 6 wins it is time time to move on. It’s time to stop this:

1630247214170.gif

I may not know the details of the AD budget but what i do know is that last year we had zero gate and concession revenue which is a huge loss. I also know that Dinos buyout is close to 12 million. Common sense tells me that unless he is a complete disaster this year he will be retained.
Should he, NO will he. Most likely. Lets hope for 6 wins and a bowl so that we dont have to go through this again. Dino is not a great game day coach, play caller or game planner. He is a CEO type who needs to surround himself with excellent coaches. I would rather see the AD increase the pay for the assistant coaches and bring in some quality. White seems to be a homerun. Gilbert needs to bring it this year. If you rate coaches by performance Swag is hands down our best coach. Recruiting, position teaching and putting kids in the NFL he is a homerun and needs to be retained regardless of cost.

The rest of bunch is seems to be fine and i have high hopes for our OL coach as he has had excellent results in the past.

Gilbert is going to be the key. Hopefully he has the chops if not we are in for a long year.

Still regardless of results even a 4 win season and i expect Dino to be retained as his buyout is simply too expensive for SU to swallow.

The line for me is “no confidence”… with everything taken as a whole (all the context) - this guy can’t get us back to being competitive for 2nd in our division, playing competitive games vs everyone outside of Clemson. Momentum is dried up on the recruiting trail.
we were pretty competive last year.. we didnt win. but we took many ACC games like UNC. BC , NC st, even clemson well into the 3rd/4th where a TD would have put as in position to win. we had a few games where we had no shot but it wasnt every game. No running game, no oline and no QBs and losing your top 3 DBs will add up to a team like ours.

1-10 record last year isn’t deceiving. We were a terrible team; it doesn’t matter about Covid, injuries, depth etc. We were a 1-10 team. Saying it’s deceiving makes it sound like we were a bowl team with a bunch of bad breaks. We weren’t.

We aren’t a 1 win team this year but nobody really knows if we’re a 4 win or 6 win team. I think a lot on here would like to think we can win 8 but to go from 1 win to 8 is massive leap I don’t think this staff is able to do. Game day and in game decision making are not strong suits at all.
Yeah while injuries, opt outs and Covid restrictions are obviously not the staff’s doing, going into the season with Rex as your backup QB(just the most prominent example) is a complete recruiting failure. Our roster got hammered but it was a roster set up to fail anyway due to shatting the bed on the recruiting trail/transfer portal

I think the fact that Dino (and Wildhack) decided to power through when they could have taken an easy out in favor of getting the young kids penalty free ACC experience is really overlooked. Dino alluded to it in his interview with Packer this week.

1-10*

* Yeah, we sucked. BUT we built up the underside of the team, took the losses, and got better.

I think thats a valid pt. now lets see how much the experience made us better.. it was 12 weeks of spring ball at a high level.

We overvalue getting playing time and adding another year of experience. The trajectory isn’t always “up”, the last 5 seasons proves that. The players should improve, I’m sure they have. What that leaves is the coaching staff. If the players should improve each year and we don’t reach a bowl for a 3rd year in a row, then clearly it’s largely on the coaching staff.

Yeah while injuries, opt outs and Covid restrictions are obviously not the staff’s doing, going into the season with Rex as your backup QB(just the most prominent example) is a complete recruiting failure. Our roster got hammered but it was a roster set up to fail anyway due to shatting the bed on the recruiting trail/transfer portal

So correct! That in and of itself is a firing offense. :(:mad:

It’s one thing to say Dino should go if we don’t make a bowl game, but does anyone think we will get someone better? There’s no guarantees. I’m tired of five year rebuilds with new coaches. There’s nothing guaranteed recruiting will get any better with a new coach.

It’s one thing to say Dino should go if we don’t make a bowl game, but does anyone think we will get someone better? There’s no guarantees. I’m tired of five year rebuilds with new coaches. There’s nothing guaranteed recruiting will get any better with a new coach.
Better than what? You mean a coach (if he fails to have a winning season this year) having a losing record in 5 out of his 6 seasons here? You mean a coach that has never proven he could win consistently at a non P5 level school, let alone at one?

Any program that is in/calls itself a P5 one and truly believes it can't get anyone better than that speaks for itself, and shouldn't be such a fraud being/playing in one.

Better than what? You mean a coach (if he fails to have a winning season this year) having a losing record in 5 out of his 6 seasons here? You mean a coach that has never proven he could win consistently at a non P5 level school, let alone at one?

Any program that is in/calls itself a P5 one and truly believes it can't get anyone better than that speaks for itself and shouldn't be such a fraud being/playing in one.
Our last four coaches all struggled. Dino is the only one who won ten games. No one else came close. There’s not a lot of coaches that will come knocking on the door for this job.

I agree.

- Unless there is a complete implosion, DB isn’t going anywhere right now. The buyout is too much.

- This roster is young. Other than the defensive line, every position group is young and talented.

Unfortunately too many posters here are nothing but hyper critical and negative. They would complain if Cuse hired Nick Saban; he’s too old, he’s too short etc, etc…

I agree.

- Unless there is a complete implosion, DB isn’t going anywhere right now. The buyout is too much.

- This roster is young. Other than the defensive line, every position group is young and talented.

Unfortunately too many posters here are nothing but hyper critical and negative. They would complain if Cuse hired Nick Saban; he’s too old, he’s too short etc, etc…
Plus he is a SU RETREAD from the 70's!

There's obviously no guarantee; but, I would go with the Illini template. Maybe a former SEC head coach that didn't manage to stick, with some NFL experience. Background in the Northeast would be nice(i.e. no wandering eye for the Midwest, or South, or West Coast. My mind goes to Joe Moorhead or Doug Marrone...

There are always lots of young rising coaches coming from the lower levels who would be interested in any P5 job. IF Dino isn’t the guy here I think you still go the rising offensive mind route, just maybe look for someone who has a bit more experience as a program builder.

I agree.

How is the buyout too much?
How about actually producing.
Dino has been given more support than any SU coach by the AD.
One winning season in 5 years is not enough.
He need a bowl season in year 6.

That isn’t anything you said. Complaining would be if 8-4 or 7-5 wasn’t good enough.

How about we get to bowl again.
3 bowl less seasons in a row is not complaining.