Ohio Bobcats (Week 1) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Bobcats (Week 1)

If we go 5-7 this year it will be 5 losing seasons in 6 years.
I like Dino a lot and have been defending him for years.
Last year was his mulligan.
This is year 6 this entire roster is his.
If he doesn’t get to a bowl we should be hiring a new football coach.
6 years is enough time.
Agree 10000 percent, I don’t want Dino fired, but if he doesn’t make a bowl game this year it’s time to move on. This Ohio game is huge for him.

I think we have hit the bottom, if it takes 1-2 yrs to upturn is the question. But I also dont think changing coaches turns it around yr 1 if the style is a big change as well. If we pick the wrong new coach after another down yr might mean 4-5 more yrs of this.. if we stay the course I dont think that happens.

I think we have hit the bottom, if it takes 1-2 yrs to upturn is the question. But I also dont think changing coaches turns it around yr 1 if the style is a big change as well. If we pick the wrong new coach after another down yr might mean 4-5 more yrs of this.. if we stay the course I dont think that happens.
You shouldn’t hit rock bottom in year 5 after going 10-3 2 years before.
Again I love Dino. Have been a Dino guy from the beginning but at this point the guy has to produce.
How the roster was as thin at QB as it was last year is on him in year 5.

The guy has gotten the biggest budget for assistant coach salaries as SU HC.
The guy has been given charter planes to go and recruit.
The guy has been given patience.

It’s year 6. Bowl game or bust.

We shouldn’t be a coin flip at Ohio.
I want to see us beat Ohio by scores.
We have better talent. This is a game a better P5 team would out talent us and win.

Again I love Dino. Have been a Dino guy from the beginning but at this point the guy has to produce.

would we have won 1 game in a non covid injury filled year with no fans? maybe its 3-4 win bad not 1 win bad.

cant we be optimistic? even if we dont expect it.

We have better talent. This is a game a better P5 team would out talent us and win.
I posted this before. Dino had his head set on leaving SU after the 10 win season. Ucla usc a couple of Texas opps all fell through. I actually believe that if he turns it around for us he will leave if offered anything South SW or West. Maybe I'm wrong based on his age but I don't believe he is an East Coast guy

would we have won 1 game in a non covid injury filled year with no fans? maybe its 3-4 win bad not 1 win bad.

cant we be optimistic? even if we dont expect it.
Fans had nothing to do with our problems last year.
Be optimistic.
Let people have legitimate opinions in any manner as long as they fair and/or thought out.

The point i am contending is people need to actually have standards. 1 bowl in 6 seasons should not be accepted. It should be enough to say the status quo isn’t good enough.

Fans had nothing to do with our problems last year.
Be optimistic.
Let people have legitimate opinions in any manner as long as they fair and/or thought out.

The point i am contending is people need to actually have standards. 1 bowl in 6 seasons should not be accepted. It should be enough to say the status quo isn’t good enough.
I agree with you I just don't see SU spending the money.

I don’t want to bet against us not getting to a bowl.

That isn’t what I am about.
We can make the tournament and not be a high seed and atleast we made the tournament.
Not going 6-6 is unacceptable this year.
I get it, just saw you put 3 wins in the Cali/Iggy awards so thought you might be game to hedge the other bet your gonna lose ;)

I appreciate and get that your not rooting for a low seed or a losing season. I was just being playful.

I am almost totally in agreement with you.

The only caveat is that it‘s not super relavent the budget he has vs other ‘Cuse coaches. The relevant stat is how how well he is funded relative to other ACC programs and P4 programs.

If we are indeed getting mid tier ACC funding now (I think we are) then we should have results that reflect that (.500 in ACC and .750 OOC minimum)

I posted this before. Dino had his head set on leaving SU after the 10 win season. Ucla usc a couple of Texas opps all fell through. I actually believe that if he turns it around for us he will leave if offered anything South SW or West. Maybe I'm wrong based on his age but I don't believe he is an East Coast guy
I agree with is; we desperately need an east coast guy; preferable a NE guy like Mac, Marrone and P.

Coach Don Brown, now at Arizona; Bill O’Brien, at Alabama; RichRod and Joe Morehead at Oregon fit the Mac NE profile.

I may not know the details of the AD budget but what i do know is that last year we had zero gate and concession revenue which is a huge loss. I also know that Dinos buyout is close to 12 million. Common sense tells me that unless he is a complete disaster this year he will be retained.
Should he, NO will he. Most likely. Lets hope for 6 wins and a bowl so that we dont have to go through this again. Dino is not a great game day coach, play caller or game planner. He is a CEO type who needs to surround himself with excellent coaches. I would rather see the AD increase the pay for the assistant coaches and bring in some quality. White seems to be a homerun. Gilbert needs to bring it this year. If you rate coaches by performance Swag is hands down our best coach. Recruiting, position teaching and putting kids in the NFL he is a homerun and needs to be retained regardless of cost.

The rest of bunch is seems to be fine and i have high hopes for our OL coach as he has had excellent results in the past.

Gilbert is going to be the key. Hopefully he has the chops if not we are in for a long year.

Still regardless of results even a 4 win season and i expect Dino to be retained as his buyout is simply too expensive for SU to swallow.
$12m is easily found/justified by looking at the increased cost of degradation under his watch. At whatever point wildhack makes the decision that it just can’t work under Dino, he needs to make the move quickly. We’re not gonna tread water for a year to save $12M. The catch is gonna be the giant numbers it’ll take to bring someone new in.

hopefully it’s a moot point and things click this season.

I am cautiously optimistic about the season and very excited. At the same time it is fair to expect a hell of a lot better than what we saw the past two seasons(2019 was a bigger indictment of HCDB by far IMO), to set standards and expectations for the season, and speculate on what should/will happen if they are not met. If we trot out what turns out to be even a mediocre OL we can get to a bowl. Have to be 3-1 in OOC at worst.

I agree with is; we desperately need an east coast guy; preferable a NE guy like Mac, Marrone and P.

Coach Don Brown, now at Arizona; Bill O’Brien, at Alabama; RichRod and Joe Morehead at Oregon fit the Mac NE profile.
Case in point - Tony White

Guys like Mike Hopkins are the exceptions. If Mike Schmidt finds strong success at SU, easy to see him heading back out West to the Pac12.

Although a guy like White still in his prime is a high risk to go just about anywhere with an opportunity.

Last edited:
Case in point - Tony White

Guys like Mike Hopkins are the exceptions. If Mike Schmidt finds strong success at SU, easy to see him heading back out West to the Pac12.

Although a guy like White still in his prime is a high risk to go just about anywhere with an opportunity.
if he fixes it SU is in a much better place to continue the success. If he doesnt we probably get a new oline coach on top of everything else.

if he fixes it SU is in a much better place to continue the success. If he doesnt we probably get a new oline coach on top of everything else.
I'm fine with up and coming position coaches coming from far away places. I just would prefer the head coach with NE roots that has kind of been there and done that, and wants to come home type of model. Must less of a success flight risk...

I agree.

- Unless there is a complete implosion, DB isn’t going anywhere right now. The buyout is too much.

- This roster is young. Other than the defensive line, every position group is young and talented.

Unfortunately too many posters here are nothing but hyper critical and negative. They would complain if Cuse hired Nick Saban; he’s too old, he’s too short etc, etc…
Without going into everything else, every year (except 2018) we say we’re young. Not sure how anyone can say we’re young this year.
QB-4th year starter who has started chunks of 2 years and a backup who has some starting experience in the SEC
RB-4 Rb’s with significant experience
WR-Returning our 2 starting receivers
TE-Has a decent amount of experience over past 2 years
OL- We return everyone and add Bleich (including a 6th year Senior)
DL-All super seniors (which we’re actually very lucky, as we had little behind them)
LB-All the starters and a top backup return
DB-This is the only spot where we’re relatively inexperienced, but still return a starting CB and a bunch of Safeties who got a ton of experience last year.

The biggest concern Dino has expressed about the ACC needing to be competitive with conference money is the ability to keep quality coaches. The SEC and Big 10 can offer much larger salaries. Check out Rutgers. He’s been able to pay assistant coaches more money and their recruiting is on the up swing.

Without going into everything else, every year (except 2018) we say we’re young. Not sure how anyone can say we’re young this year.
QB-4th year starter who has started chunks of 2 years and a backup who has some starting experience in the SEC
DL-All super seniors (which we’re actually very lucky, as we had little behind them)
DB-This is the only spot where we’re relatively inexperienced, but still return a starting CB and a bunch of Safeties who got a ton of experience.
experience and young at the same time can be a good thing.

DB-This is the only spot where we’re relatively inexperienced, but still return a starting CB and a bunch of Safeties who got a ton of experience.

I think you missed what was being implied."Young" as in the nucleus could continue to be together for two, three, plus more years given the covid reset. And that the majority of guys seem to field are frosh / sophs.

That year over year continuity with many of the same principals is generally a good thing for teams like us, that aren't recruiting top 20 classes.

Now, we still have a few areas where the nucleus is top heavy, such as DL. But otherwise, things seem to be shaping up well long term.

Last edited:
I think you missed what was being implied."Young" as in the nucleus could continue to be together for two, three, plus more years given the covid reset. And that the majority of guys seem to field are frosh / sophs.

Then you're over your continuity with many of the same principles is generally a good thing for teams like us, that are recruiting top 20 classes.

Now, we still have a few areas where the nucleus is top heavy, such as DL. But otherwise, things seem to be shaping up well long term.
With the way College Football has been going, I have no clue where any player will be in 2 years

It’s one thing to say Dino should go if we don’t make a bowl game, but does anyone think we will get someone better? There’s no guarantees. I’m tired of five year rebuilds with new coaches. There’s nothing guaranteed recruiting will get any better with a new coach.
Right. But we have to double the annual salary of Head Coach to attract a “name” coach that recruits will WANT to play for. Look at Liberty. They will come. Reputation sells.