Ohio Bobcats (Week 1) | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Bobcats (Week 1)

Everything I have heard and read coming from Ohio's program is exuding extreme confidence. There are no nerves. They seem very assured of themselves and it's almost concerning how comfortable and confident they are.

I don't fully get the same feeling from our end.

I don't think he is middling.
Facts don't care what you think; let's take a look. Here are his records at Wake with a typically easy non-conference sched:

3-9 (1-7)
3-9 (1-7)
7-6 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
7-6 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
4-5 (3-4)

For a total 40-45; averaging 5.7 wins and 6.4 losses a year. Never once over .500 in the ACC. If in your mind, you think that's above average, I don't know what to tell you. If that record makes you happy, then frankly that's very big of you to not care about winning.

Some of us do.

Everything I have heard and read coming from Ohio's program is exuding extreme confidence. There are no nerves. They seem very assured of themselves and it's almost concerning how comfortable and confident they are.

I don't fully get the same feeling from our end.
Not too worried about that, based on what we saw from the La Familia series we exuded plenty of confidence going into 2019 and then Maryland happened. I still think we have our way with these guys. A healthy and well-coached OL with Tucker in the backfield is going to be a nightmare for them, and then Devito goes over the top when things open up. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised.

Facts don't care what you think; let's take a look. Here are his records at Wake with a typically easy non-conference sched:

3-9 (1-7)
3-9 (1-7)
7-6 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
7-6 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
4-5 (3-4)

For a total 40-45; averaging 5.7 wins and 6.4 losses a year. Never once over .500 in the ACC. If in your mind, you think that's above average, I don't know what to tell you. If that record makes you happy, then frankly that's very big of you to not care about winning.

Some of us do.
If Dino did that here, they'd throw him a party and give him an extenson

I want to see one thing on offense.
We need our OL to get push against the Ohio DL.
If we can get push I will believe.
Ohio DL shouldn’t be hard for our OL to get push against.
2 years ago I was scared when we couldn’t get push against Holy Cross DL. We could only throw.
We need to be able to run the ball.

If we can do that we can be a bowl team.

2 years ago I was scared when we couldn’t get push against Holy Cross DL. We could only throw.

Totally agree, I want to see 250+ yards rushing, most of it without Shrader improvising.

Last edited:

Agree - remember saying the same thing against HC. I want to see if we can push people around on O and can we hold our ground on D. Still have nightmares about Duke, Ga Tech and Liberty just gumming us on the ground.

Agree - remember saying the same thing against HC. I want to see if we can push people around on O and can we hold our ground on D. Still have nightmares about Duke, Ga Tech and Liberty just gumming us on the ground.
the issue has been its been pretty much every team we have played for 10 yrs we dont get any push.. you cant win if every game your oline is never better than the dline.. you can scheme and big play win a few times . its the same on D. if the dline holds its own 50% of the time you can win games. but I dont even know that we have been 10% of the time. Again you have to out scheme teams to win and thats hard to do every week if you dont have the playmakers on offens to steal 2-3 plays a game.

ED stole a few plays every game. other than that who has in the last 10 yrs.

What has also killed SU is that it does a good job scheming some big plays.. but we over throw or drop the passes. Our margin is too thin to not get those 1-3 plays a game in our favor unless you hold your own on the line.

the issue has been its been pretty much every team we have played for 10 yrs we dont get any push.. you cant win if every game your oline is never better than the dline.. you can scheme and big play win a few times . its the same on D. if the dline holds its own 50% of the time you can win games. but I dont even know that we have been 10% of the time. Again you have to out scheme teams to win and thats hard to do every week if you dont have the playmakers on offens to steal 2-3 plays a game.

What has also killed SU is that it does a good job scheming some big plays.. but we over throw or drop the passes. Our margin is too thin to not get those 1-3 plays a game in our favor unless you hold your own on the line.

It's Ohio. We shouldn't need to rely on making big plays to beat them. We should be able to go to their place with a vanilla gameplan and win by 3+ touchdowns. We know we don't have elite talent like Clemson/FSU/Miami/UNC but we should always be good enough to win in the trenches against MAC/AAC/lower tier ACC teams.

When we had Slayton, and Clark, we had a decent line.

I don't post a lot and know this has probably been said, but I want to emphasize how stupid it is that we're playing AT Ohio to open the season. Lol

3-9 (1-7)
3-9 (1-7)
7-6 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
7-6 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
4-5 (3-4)

Some of us do.
Doing that at Wake with their admission standards and all their other limiting factors is remarkable, which is why I remarked about it in the first place. A couple more years and they will be as strong as Northwestern is in the B1G.

Doing that at Wake with their admission standards and all their other limiting factors is remarkable, which is why I remarked about it in the first place. A couple more years and they will be as strong as Northwestern is in the B1G.
Nw is a very unique scenario with Fitzgerald’s loyalty. Unless I’m missing something Clawson doesn’t have a similar tie to Wake so I wouldn’t consider them at all comparable. Maybe more like vandy under James Franklin as an absolute ceiling…but that’s fleeting.

Agreed on this, we will know by the end of the 1st quarter if the line has improved or its still a complete mess based on how the running game goes. If everything is a rock fight for 2-3 yards you know were in for long game and season. If were actually breaking a few and able to impose our will just a tad that will be a great sign. Ditto for the run Defense, again if it looks more like the first half of the UNC game were in great shape. If its Liberty part 2, were in major trouble. I worry a lot about our run D in this game.

Agreed on this, we will know by the end of the 1st quarter if the line has improved or its still a complete mess based on how the running game goes. If everything is a rock fight for 2-3 yards you know were in for long game and season. If were actually breaking a few and able to impose our will just a tad that will be a great sign. Ditto for the run Defense, again if it looks more like the first half of the UNC game were in great shape. If its Liberty part 2, were in major trouble. I worry a lot about our run D in this game.
Like, I just want the offense on their first series to line up, kick Ohio in the balls and beat on them repeatedly like in Necessary Roughness or The Longest Yard, get a comical amount of flags and whistles, just total mayhem, basically accept it's a wasted possession, and then from there roll up 300 yarfs rushing and 300 yarfs passing on the way to a blowout.

Is that too much to ask?

Jean Luc Picard - Make it So - MAKE IT SO

I feel like we could duplicate the gameplan for wmu 2018 with Shrader and dominate this game.

Like, I just want the offense on their first series to line up, kick Ohio in the balls and beat on them repeatedly like in Necessary Roughness or The Longest Yard, get a comical amount of flags and whistles, just total mayhem, basically accept it's a wasted possession, and then from there roll up 300 yarfs rushing and 300 yarfs passing on the way to a blowout.

Is that too much to ask?
No...as a matter of FACT, according to my "demented sources", this is part of the first 10 scripted offensive plays announcing CUSE's return to P5 football.

<<<<I'M KIDDING OHIO>>>>
attempts at humor are all we have right now!!

If Sean Tucker can rush fro 100yards against ND last year (with our weak OL) - I expect 125+ at Ohio. I think he will make their secondary look silly when he is in the open field. It is very very simple - if you lose this game you are what the media thinks you are. I want to put up 50+ - show some swagger. Come on LGO!

Random thought about this game. I think Bear Williams is either a no go or severely limited and that sucks if Ohio has a strong run game. Might be dealing with some long drives from them.

Random thought about this game. I think Bear Williams is either a no go or severely limited and that sucks if Ohio has a strong run game. Might be dealing with some long drives from them.

Not ideal but Harper is no slouch and can keep our LBs clean. Up to them to stop plays in the box anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom