Ohio Bobcats (Week 1) | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Bobcats (Week 1)

Starting to feel like this is Dino's Akron. Sure Ohio is a bit better than the Zips were in 2007 or 2008 or whenever that fiasco was. MTSU still hasn't gone away. Losing to a mac school with a first year HC? It was unforgivable for Gerg. This isn't just a must win to get the ball rolling, this is a must win for Dino to save face. We lose this game and we don't get 30k for Rutgers. They might announce more but it will be a sea of open metal and bad reverb in the ears for 4 hours.

No reason for doom and gloom for me until after the game, I think we handle them

No reason for doom and gloom for me until after the game, I think we handle them
Yeah I get it, I'm just finaly getting into game mode so my brain is all football today. After reading that article about Ohio's first presser and seeing that they have 'a good chance' of opening with an ACC win, well frankly it got me heated, then I started thinking holy **** what if we really lose? Then my brain diarrhea hit the keyboard resulting in that post. I don't even want to think about losing this freaking game.

I understand the premise that every player except to 2021 freshman class is actually a year older than their eligibility class. My position that we are young is based on two things.
  • The number of potential years a player could still be in the SU program. This is based on a players athletic eligibility, not the players academic year; a RS-Fr athletically is likely a junior academically. But, I count such a player as "young" because the player could possibly be in the program for another three years.
  • I consider our team as "young" in comparison to many of the teams we play. Sure our RS-Fr have some great experience (and more than a RS-Fr in previous years), but not as much experience as our opponent's RS-Jr's and RS-Sr's. Our experienced players are younger and possibly less experienced than our opponents players.
Consider this. According to the two-deep roster we released yesterday and the two-deep roster Rutgers released yesterday (I was unable locate a two-deep depth chart for Ohio), our players are younger than Rutger's.

Eligibility yearRutgers - 46 playersSyracuse - 47 players
Gr, RS-Sr, Sr
18 (13*)​
6 (5)​
RS-Jr, Jr
14 (8)​
8 (4)​
RS-So, So
6 (-)​
12 (5)​
RS-Fr, Fr
8 (1)​
21 (8)​

* Projected starters are listed in parentheses.

Although our freshman and sophomores have more experience than our freshmen and sophomores from previous years, our two-deep roster is clearly "younger" than the two-deep roster of Rutgers. Every team got a free year last year, not just Syracuse. I suspect this will be the case as we compare our two-deep against our opponents each week, thus my belief is we are young, but our future is potentially very bright.

My prognostication for our record this year has been recorded in various posts on this board.

In the Cali-Award thread I predicted a 6-6 record.

I also put some $$ on the over when the initial over/under was 3.5 back in July. This is posted somewhere.

Although this team may not perform to the hopes and desires of every diehard Syracuse fan, I believe this team will exceed the "experts" expectations.

Last edited:
Yeah I get it, I'm just finaly getting into game mode so my brain is all football today. After reading that article about Ohio's first presser and seeing that they have 'a good chance' of opening with an ACC win, well frankly it got me heated, then I started thinking holy **** what if we really lose? Then my brain diarrhea hit the keyboard resulting in that post. I don't even want to think about losing this freaking game.
Where’s the article interested in self motivation

And our ceiling is way higher than Dave Clawson. The last two decades have really beaten down some fans into having such sad aspirations of mediocrity.
Can you blame us? We’re hexed. Our 15 min. of fame was used up.

Most Mac upsets of P5 teams happen because the P5 team was complacent. We are definitely not complacent. The team is motivated and ready to run through brick walls to have a good season. In addition, I believe that at least 75% of our starters are better than their starters. I think we roll them.

Can you blame us? We’re hexed. Our 15 min. of fame was used up.
Yes. It is sad to see a group of fans that want some shmuck like Clawson. You won't ever do anything special by pegging your progress against the Wake Forests of the world.

Good lord.

I agree with is; we desperately need an east coast guy; preferable a NE guy like Mac, Marrone and P.

Coach Don Brown, now at Arizona; Bill O’Brien, at Alabama; RichRod and Joe Morehead at Oregon fit the Mac NE profile.
Bill obrien? He ain’t coming here. There’s one guy on that staff that would be an excellent fit, and that ain’t happening either

Yes. It is sad to see a group of fans that want some shmuck like Clawson. You won't ever do anything special by pegging your progress against the Wake Forests of the world.

Good lord.
Nick Saban and Belichick are schmucks too, they just win more. I would take a schmuck or a meathead if they can put together a winning program.

Nick Saban and Belichick are schmucks too, they just win more. I would take a schmuck or a meathead if they can put together a winning program.
It's almost like you don't know anything about these people and institutions aside from their names.

It's almost like you don't know anything about these people and institutions aside from their names.
Wake Forest University is an extremely classy institution., why do they employ a guy with such character flaws?

Wake Forest University is an extremely classy institution., why do they employ a guy with such character flaws?
What on earth are you talking about now? Nobody said anything about character flaws, unless you're counting serial mediocrity.

What on earth are you talking about now? Nobody said anything about character flaws, unless you're counting serial mediocrity.
He had a total rebuild at WFU, a place with high admission standards, small fan base and plays in the shadow of big state schools. He went 3-9 his first 2 seasons and has since went to 5 straight bowl games with 2, 8 win seasons. I think he's done as much there as anyone possibly could. He will probably get a big season and win the division and maybe an ACC championship in the next couple of years. I don't think he is middling.

He had a total rebuild at WFU, a place with high admission standards, small fan base and plays in the shadow of big state schools. He went 3-9 his first 2 seasons and has since went to 5 straight bowl games with 2, 8 win seasons. I think he's done as much there as anyone possibly could. He will probably get a big season and win the division and maybe an ACC championship in the next couple of years. I don't think he is middling.
Maybe he’ll get a chance to coach at UMASS

They were 51-50 the 8 seasons before Clawson… He had some work to do, but it wasn’t Kansas. Seems like he’s trending kind of up, down last year, but he’s still lacking his predecessor Grobe unless he wins 7/8 this year.

They were 51-50 the 8 seasons before Clawson… He had some work to do, but it wasn’t Kansas. Seems like he’s trending kind of up, down last year, but he’s still lacking his predecessor Grobe unless he wins 7/8 this year.
I'm just going by the eye test that they play hard and don't have many self inflicted wounds, good coaching. Maybe Dino can get it together, Ohio is going to be a test. And then the tests get harder and harder.