Ohio State | Syracusefan.com

Ohio State

Gayle is one of the best on ball defenders in the Big 10. I’d welcome him here in a heartbeat. Think it would make things tough with running point but we’d have a lot of fast, lengthy, athletic guards

Could literally be the same situation as JJ.

The only difference is OSU is a big time job and will likely land a big time coach. I could see them reloading quickly especially with the portal.

But I do think Gayle is a great piece if he wanted to come here

Gayle may just be the perfect case study for a peak at what Red is trying to do - does he go the route of a big, scoring combo guard (that they already have an in with and may want to come home) then 'figure out' PG or pass on Gayle, or guys like him, for a more traditional PG.

Supposed to be the busiest coaching cycle in years, leading to more portal entries. This is going to be a hell of an offseason...

Hard pass at Gayle. His assist to TO ratio is mediocre and he can't shoot. He was a typical combo/SG that was converted to the point. He's been awful in Big 10 play.

Could literally be the same situation as JJ.

The only difference is OSU is a big time job and will likely land a big time coach. I could see them reloading quickly especially with the portal.

But I do think Gayle is a great piece if he wanted to come here

If he can improve his shot and decision making ( a big if) and Chance and Quadir can run the point…

He carried those habits with him from prep

Seeing all these coaches flame out makes you appreciate what JAB did for his first 40+ years at Syracuse. But Holtmann is walking away with $14 Mil. I'd be pissed if I was a tOSU fan.

I saw him play last year in a big10 tournament game, I think it was a semifinal. Thought he was a sharpshooter, hit 3 or 4 3s in the first half, will have to look at his stats from this year.

I’ll take year 2 of JJ instead and we go for a true PG who can shoot it to play with JJ, Moore, Quadir and hopefully Chance and Cuffe too if Kyle can find where he can really contribute
I think you take him if he’s available and still go for a true PG. Let the rest sort itself out. It’s a nice dilemma to have.

I think he’s a better shooter than he’s shown so far. He’s an 86% FT shooter. I’d buy stock on him improving from 3 point range next year.
I don't know how many he took but he shot 40% from 3 as a frosh. I would take him for sure. His defense is terrific.

I don't know how many he took but he shot 40% from 3 as a frosh. I would take him for sure. His defense is terrific.
Look at his conference stats. They are not good.

Very low volume…..not a “true” 40% shooter. Now he’s taking more this year and his average is 29%. Basically like Benny Williams did last season and everyone thought/hoped he couldn’t duplicate that this year on even greater volume. And we know how that turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 30
I’ll take year 2 of JJ instead and we go for a true PG who can shoot it to play with JJ, Moore, Quadir and hopefully Chance and Cuffe too if Kyle can find where he can really contribute
What is this obesssion with people saying we need a “true” point guard? You don’t think Q and Chance are PGs? I can tell you they both are better passers and have better vision than most anyone we could get out of the portal. Q is trending upwards and will be very good as a Junior. Chance has huge upside. His injury recovery is the key lingering question.

Gayle has 82 assists to 65 turnovers on the season. His defensive rating is 118 in Big Ten Play which is the same as JJ's and slightly better than Mintz or Chris Bell.

FTR Joe Girard has a defensive rating of 114 in conference play and 110 overall to go along with 70 assists and just 34 turnovers.

I don't see how he's an upgrade to anyone on our roster. We need to go after guys who are good. Not just guys we were involved with in the past.

Greg Paulus going to get a look here for that job. His time with Thad was very good and he was very well received.
under .500 through his career (yes i know it is Niagara) will not fly with the boosters, even with basketball taking a distant back seat to football.

McDermott has been the name to OSU all season, was the finalist last time the job opened. Not a foregone conclusion, but he's the clear leader at the clubhouse

What is this obesssion with people saying we need a “true” point guard? You don’t think Q and Chance are PGs? I can tell you they both are better passers and have better vision than most anyone we could get out of the portal. Q is trending upwards and will be very good as a Junior. Chance has huge upside. His injury recovery is the key lingering question.

Will Chance ever be healthy? Can Q develop a shot? I’m not disputing their abilities just a true PG that can shoot 35 pct from distance

Well, it wouldn't hurt to have a pt that could hit a 3.

McDermott has been the name to OSU all season, was the finalist last time the job opened. Not a foregone conclusion, but he's the clear leader at the clubhouse
is OSU actually a better hoops job than Creighton? I mean I guess they can pay more and maybe that alone makes it a better job - but I just wonder generally about any of the hoops gigs at the football-first schools...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom