OK Problem Solvers: I have a conflict with a wedding and March Madness | Syracusefan.com

OK Problem Solvers: I have a conflict with a wedding and March Madness

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I just found out I have a wedding to attend in Cleveland on March 22nd. Cuse might be playing in Buffalo on the same date. It's easy to say to not go to the wedding but it's a cousin, yada, yada, yada. I was thinking if Cuse played at noon that I could drive to the wedding afterwards, but it's a little further than I thought. I'm really hoping that I don't get invited but it's probably 99.9% that I do. It would have been perfect if Buffalo was Friday/Sunday like in 2010. Argggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I guess the good news is maybe Cuse will also be at MSG the following weekend. That's what I have to hope for.

I just found out I have a wedding to attend in Cleveland on March 22nd. Cuse might be playing in Buffalo on the same date. It's easy to say to not go to the wedding but it's a cousin, yada, yada, yada. I was thinking if Cuse played at noon that I could drive to the wedding afterwards, but it's a little further than I thought. I'm really hoping that I don't get invited but it's probably 99.9% that I do. It would have been perfect if Buffalo was Friday/Sunday like in 2010. Argggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I guess the good news is maybe Cuse will also be at MSG the following weekend. That's what I have to hope for.
If it's not your wedding, skip it! And even then it would be a coin toss.

It appears you are a lot closer to your cousins than I. List of priorities at that point in time Syracuse first after job and immediate family; cousins maybe in the top twenty.
Its not that I am close to my cousins but its more of a case that we are a small family so there are certain family obligations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Male cousin??

punch him in the face.

Female cousin??

punch her in the face,

This. It's very easy to piss off the family in the amount of time you have before this wedding.

Or you could try to subvert the wedding. Surely one of them has cheated - find out and make sure everyone knows.

Was cousin a typo? Did you mean brother, even then it's a little iffy to be honest.

If they're not close enough where you're a lock to be invited, than you have no reason to go. They made the mistake, not you! Enjoy the game!

You can do this the easy way or the hard way:

Hard way - just don't show up.

Easy way - Start a plan into motion to break up the couple before this wedding. You've got several months. Take the guy to strip clubs, plant panties in his car, call their house a lot and hang up when ever the person answers, introduce her to wealthy single men, etc etc. Once you have succeeded in this, write a book about the experience and then later have Ricky Lake make it into a made-for-Lifetime-TV chick flick. As a bonus, you can change a little of the production/directing and also have it made into an ESPN 30-for-30 doc. If you can secure Zach from Saved by the Bell to play your cousin and a hotty B- lister chick for the fiance, you'll have no problem making big bank on the Lifetime show. The 30-for-30 would certainly be entertaining and educational for other sports fans who have people in their lives who are so ignorant and selfish as to plan a GD wedding during March Mardness, the Super Bowl, MLB League Champ Series, etc. It's win-win-win.

Here is how I look at it. If it were the final four, no question, basketball comes first over cousins. But this is one of the first games. This is where basketball superstition comes into play. We should win this game. I would hope we are a sweet 16 team at least this year. If you go to the game, and we lose, you will feel terrible about missing the wedding, and about your team losing. You can go to the Thursday game, and then go to the wedding, knowing you are doing the right thing by your family, and not jinxing the team by doing the selfish thing. And then have all week to think about the great time you will have the next weekend at MSG!!!!

I had exactly the same problem two years ago. Son of my best friends was getting married in Chicago on Saturday night of the Final Four in New Orleans... and we of course had a very good team that was a #1 seed. When I was told the date of the wedding (about six months in advance), I was very honest. I told them that if we were in New Orleans, I would be in New Orleans, but would love to attend the wedding if we were not in New Orleans. They were cool with that. Of course, we lost to Ohio State in Regional Final in Boston, so my decision got made for me.

Solution: Get them a nicer gift than you normally would. They will be thrilled with the gift, and happy to save the money it would cost them for you to attend. I married off two daughters, and every time I got a response that somebody couldn't make it, I loved it.