OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

No love for Spaghetti Warehouse? That's my favorite. Dominick's being a close 2nd

You need to try some new places. Dominick's is AWFUL. Large portions, sure, but tasteless crap. I used to cook there 30 years ago, back when it was good.

You should try Carraba's out in Fayetteville. The wine is overpriced but the Italian food is very good and reasonably priced. The key is that they keep the menu relatively small, so everything is fresh.

Last edited:
Grover's was a near miss imo. Preferred Pascales and then Tavern 104 when they were in there. Bull and Bear is supposedly moving into Hullars old spot up the hill.

Yeah, they should be opening pretty soon. Transaction closed a while ago.
I agree with Pascale's. They always cater our Christmas party. I love their pasta carbonara, which is the best I've ever had. Only their place out at Drumlin's is that good anymore. Justin's just changed its concept, and they sold the place out on Limestone in Fayetteville a few years ago.

Apizza Regionale is very good, but seating is limited.

The Inn Between strikes me as old and stale. The decor is awful, like a really old person's house.
I'm in it for the food. There's hardly a chef in the area that can out do Chris.

Since we’re in the weeds and including sandwiches, if anyone likes buffalo chicken sandwiches, the absolute best by far are at Canal View our at Sylvan Beach.

I'm in it for the food. There's hardly a chef in the area that can out do Chris.

Well, to be fair, I haven't been there in probably 6 or 8 years, and it does look like they've freshened up the place, judging by the pictures online. No offense intended to your friend the chef.

Since we’re in the weeds and including sandwiches, if anyone likes buffalo chicken sandwiches, the absolute best by far are at Canal View our at Sylvan Beach.

Geez, I love me some Oswego Sub, but can anybody in Syracuse beat DiBella's on Bridge Street? That place is killing it!

Funny thing is Kitty Hoynes was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I watch it a good bit and wasn't expecting that.

Kitty Hoyne's has a solid Reuben and a traditional Irish breakfast (although they seem to cook the bangers practically black ...).

My favorite Reuben is out at the Sherwood Inn, which somebody mentioned earlier up in this thread. I love the warm German Potato Salad they serve with it; just wish they didn't waste some by serving it over greens.

Best cheap lunch - $5 burger (quite good!) and PBR on tap for about a buck and a half.

I do believe it is beer, wings and burger just as heaven above intended.

I feel like if you’re listing Dinosaur as one of you’re top restaurants in Syracuse then your doing something wrong.

I’ll add Arad Evans in Fayetteville. I think it’s the only one of my favorites that’s has yet to be listed.

I know the head chef. Not a fan.
The place has a terrific reputation, though.

Not sure if I saw this on the list, but I think Otro Cinco is one of my favorites. Plus they take reservations, which makes things a lot easier. Also a big fan of:

Kitty Hoynes (sneaky good food)
Francesca's as has been said
Lots of deserved love for Apizza, I also like Peppino's downtown for a quick woodfire pizza usually for lunch
Blue Tusk for great atmosphere/beer/sandwiches
Modern Malt is a fun place
A little outside of downtown, Chophouse on Waring is really good

Peppino's is very good for lunch, but they jack the prices too high for dinner, relative to what's on offer. It's not a nice enough interior to justify premium prices for dinner, IMO.

There was a place, Fabio's, on Warren St. that closed so suddenly, had a gorgeous interior and was starting to hit its stride, but I think they just ran out of capital and shut the day after Father's Day, I think it was. Place is too big inside relative to the PSF rent, in my opinion. Plus they took too long to get reviews and really advertise. They overpriced it for lunch, too, although the quality was quite good. Not many people in Syracuse are paying $10 for a starter salad, plus $15-20 for a main course at lunchtime in Downtown Syracuse. There aren't that many expense account lunches in Syracuse.

Six great restaurants. Staying in the city of Syracuse, no bar & grills, no diners, no family restaurants, Fine dining only. Here I go;
  • Francesca's
  • Lemon Grass
  • Laci's Tapas
  • Bistro Elephant
  • 317 @ Montgomery
  • Asti's
  • +1 Dolce Vita, +2 Citronelle
I would stack these places against any restaurants in Albany, Rochester or Buffalo. BTW - the three you listed would be outside my Top 25. And I agree, DinoBBQ has lost its edge.

Lemon Grass is outstanding, if a bit expensive. My wife wishes it were a bit more darkly lit.
Laci's is quite good, and has a hip crowd.
A lot of people have like Asti's for a long time. I have loved the shrimp scampi there; it had a certain sweetness compared to other places, like they might have cooked it with a dash of sweet vermouth or something.

If you have any vegans in your party, send them to Strong Hearts Cafe. They serve a mean breakfast all day, plus interesting sandwiches and excellent baked goods (cupcakes!) Friday night is pizza night where you can get all kinds of meaty yet meat-free combos. They are good! Pricey but a big vegan treat. As are the 30 or so milkshake flavors, all named after famous people. There's now an outpost on the campus too. (Note: I am no longer a strict vegan but a vegetarian but I still love Strong Hearts.)

Another good choice for those-who-shall-not-be-named is Original Grain, down at the corner of Fayette and Salina. They are doing very, very well. California health food vibe, lots of young college girls in leggings before or after going to the gym.

I was always impressed with Phoebe's, but only ever ate lunch there. Never had dinner.

I cooked there briefly as a young man. Nice menu, when you are first starting out in a kitchen.

Another good choice for those-who-shall-not-be-named is Original Grain, down at the corner of Fayette and Salina. They are doing very, very well. California health food vibe, lots of young college girls in leggings before or after going to the gym.

It’s a similar concept to Core, but they are not a chain like Core is turning into.

The same owners just opened a Taco place on East Fayette near Phoebes. My wife and I have somewhat of a connection to one of the owners. Interested to see if it succeeds.

It’s a similar concept to Core, but they are not a chain like Core is turning into.

The same owners just opened a Taco place on East Fayette near Phoebes. My wife and I have somewhat of a connection to one of the owners. Interested to see if it succeeds.

Yeah, we stopped by the other night and it had a cool nightclub vibe. My daughter wasn't into tacos, though, so we wound up going to New Century, the Vietnamese place on the North Side I was talking about earlier in the thread. First time there - wanted to try something new that night - and we were all blown away. I'll be going back to XO Taco, though.

Peppino's is very good for lunch, but they jack the prices too high for dinner, relative to what's on offer. It's not a nice enough interior to justify premium prices for dinner, IMO.

There was a place, Fabio's, on Warren St. that closed so suddenly, had a gorgeous interior and was starting to hit its stride, but I think they just ran out of capital and shut the day after Father's Day, I think it was. Place is too big inside relative to the PSF rent, in my opinion. Plus they took too long to get reviews and really advertise. They overpriced it for lunch, too, although the quality was quite good. Not many people in Syracuse are paying $10 for a starter salad, plus $15-20 for a main course at lunchtime in Downtown Syracuse. There aren't that many expense account lunches in Syracuse.

A Mano, an Italian restaurant where pasta and pastrami will be handmade

Article says they plan on opening in September. The owner was the GM of Avicolli's for the past 15 years. Sounds like they will be heeding your advice and offering a smaller, reasonably priced lunch menu.

A Mano, an Italian restaurant where pasta and pastrami will be handmade

Article says they plan on opening in September. The owner was the GM of Avicolli's for the past 15 years. Sounds like they will be heeding your advice and offering a smaller, reasonably priced lunch menu.

Thanks for the article. I work about a block from there. They sound like they were listening, and that my comments were probably what they heard from a lot of people. The food was very good. Sounds like they have a winning concept.

Six great restaurants.

And I agree, DinoBBQ has lost its edge.

The thing that keeps me coming back to Dinosaur are the ribs and the sides.

Brisket is hit or miss, sometimes running kind of fatty, and sometimes it melts in your mouth. What they serve at events upstairs is the best from the kitchen, though; whoever said that was on the money.

The rice and beans, chili with the crumbled brisket in it, the deviled eggs, the cornbread and the fried green tomatoes extra fancy style. Those are the things I love most about the Dinosaur. The shrimp boil is pretty darn good, too.

I've had really moist, delicious pulled pork from the Limp Lizard in Liverpool, near The Retreat. But the one in Western Lights is not good at all, and they pour way too much sauce on it.

Call me crazy, but I like Wegman's pulled pork, and then add a little Dinosaur Honey Garlic sauce, some jalapenos and celery, chopped fine, and stir it all together, and man, if that isn't good! Serve it on a potato roll with an ice cold beer.

Dark Horse! It was a while ago but they had a slab bacon steak with maple bourbon sauce as a special. I swear to God my wife and I had a food orgasm right in the middle of that place. Awesome spot. Always a great experience there.

Thumbs down to The Mission. Don't waste your time with that pretentious excuse for a restaurant. Go right down the street to Otro Cinco or to big brother Alto Cinco on Westcott.

Second for Lemongrass. Thai with unique class and flair.

New spot on Montgomery Street called 317 is also very good.

And I'm telling you (again), The Cider Mill. True gastronomic experience and great people.
I've heard Dark Horse mentioned a lot. This is the place in DeWitt not too far from Erie blvd, right? I've had martinis there. Never eaten. Place seems like a hole in the wall but I was surprised at how big it actually was given what it looks like from the outside.

Very tough to find a good meal in Syracuse.

What does this even mean?!? Think about that sentence. In the entire city of syracuse, it's tough to find a "good" meal? Talk about exaggeration!

Also... pretty amazing some of the lists on here. I love food but there's no way I could list off these places to the level of detail some have.

Wanted to be there this weekend, but planned poorly. Travel and lodging are more than I was comfortable with spending. Looking at NC State, but hotels within reasonable distance from the University are hard to come by that weekend.
Try Airbnb. Also, maybe some (legal) broad's dorm room.

Yeah, we stopped by the other night and it had a cool nightclub vibe. My daughter wasn't into tacos, though, so we wound up going to New Century, the Vietnamese place on the North Side I was talking about earlier in the thread. First time there - wanted to try something new that night - and we were all blown away. I'll be going back to XO Taco, though.

New Century is as good as any Vietnamese food I've had in Texas and Northern Virginia. It is excellent.

I've heard Dark Horse mentioned a lot. This is the place in DeWitt not too far from Erie blvd, right? I've had martinis there. Never eaten. Place seems like a hole in the wall but I was surprised at how big it actually was given what it looks like from the outside.

Friend of mine used to work there, and left to start his own craft beer bar in Manlius, called "All Who Wander". Great place. Cozy and very friendly.