OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

Friend of mine used to work there, and left to start his own craft beer bar in Manlius, called "All Who Wander". Great place. Cozy and very friendly.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on Dosa Grill but we are both on the same page with All Who Wander- great, great beer selection (which changes all the time) and a really welcoming atmosphere. I am not a craft beer expert (just as likely to drink a Labatt vs. an IPA) but that place is great...

You and I will have to agree to disagree on Dosa Grill but we are both on the same page with All Who Wander- great, great beer selection (which changes all the time) and a really welcoming atmosphere. I am not a craft beer expert (just as likely to drink a Labatt vs. an IPA) but that place is great...

No worries about Dosa Grill. They seem to be doing well, and it's nice to have the Indian option in town. Reasonable people can disagree about these things.

I used to love to go to the places on East 6th St. in the Village between 1st and 2nd Ave, a "Little India" neighborhood, some of whom later moved uptown to around 28th and Lex.

Last time I went down there a couple years ago, gentrification had taken over most of the old neighborhood. I think there were only 1 or 2 places left down there.

It used to be amazing to walk down the street and smell all the spices coming out of the restaurants, and they would have people greet you at the door to steer you into their place. My favorite used to be called Milon, which was around the corner on 1st Ave. The first time I took my family there, four people ate all these amazing dishes (and coconut puri bread!) and the total bill was like $26. Of course, this was in the late '80s, and then Indian became popular and known as a good deal, and then suddenly prices were not like that anymore. LOL

Terrible. I loved Danzer's as a kid. I so wanted the new ownership to get it right, but alas, they did not. Still crap.
I'm sorry to hear that. Is there a good German restaurant in Syracuse?

I'm sorry to hear that. Is there a good German restaurant in Syracuse?

Not anymore. Weber's on the Northside closed a few years ago. Liehs & Steigerwald, the butcher shop on Grant Ave, have a deli/bar downtown that sells items from their butcher shop, including sauerbraten (both gravy, and gravy with meat). They also do all kinds of cured sausages.

Not anymore. Weber's on the Northside closed a few years ago. Liehs & Steigerwald, the butcher shop on Grant Ave, have a deli/bar downtown that sells items from their butcher shop, including sauerbraten (both gravy, and gravy with meat). They also do all kinds of cured sausages.

It's too bad that the Wolff's Biergarten in Syracuse doesn't have a kitchen. Their locations in the Albany area have a large German menu.

I’m partial to my Dad’s food truck, Chicken Bandit

My Dad got remarried and hit the culinary jackpot. I do all I can to butter her up for the foods ;)

You need to try some new places. Dominick's is AWFUL. Large portions, sure, but tasteless crap. I used to cook there 30 years ago, back when it was good.

You should try Carraba's out in Fayetteville. The wine is overpriced but the Italian food is very good and reasonably priced. The key is that they keep the menu relatively small, so everything is fresh.

Been to Carrabas once. It was ok. Thought it would be better than it was

A few weeks ago, I posted that this would be the biggest game in recent history. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Now, where to eat Friday night? (I realize that doesn't provide a lot of direction cuisine-wise, but we're omnivorous.)

After all this we need to know where and what you ate!!! Let's hear a review

Weber's was located on Danforth and First North, not where New Century is although I do absolutely agree that their food is really good. And I miss Weber's knickerbocker sandwich.

New Century used to be a German restaurant back in the day but cannot remember what it was.

There is an African restaurant in the old Weber's now but I have not had a chance to try it yet.

If you ever do you have to go to the original Nestico's on West Genesee St. It's different from the other one. Their breakfast is outstanding. Expect a small wait if you go between 930-1130 on Saturday, but it is well worth the wait. The best belgian waffles, skillet specials, and frittata's around. I have been going every Saturday with my 97 year old Granpa for the last 6 or 7 years
At nestico’s too now, western eggs arefantastic!

The new Craftsman Wood Grill and Tavern is now open in Fayetteville. I think they've done a fantastic job on the renovations. Really top-notch, IMO. The service is definitely a work-in-progress at this point, though. Prices on booze are at the higher end. No happy hour planned. I didn't try a lot of the food. The menu looked fairly straightforward and people will find their old standards and some rotating entrees. I was left unimpressed with the food, especially for the price. We didn't try a lot of things, but the ones that we did were a little meh.

I'll go back, though.

You should try Carraba's out in Fayetteville. The wine is overpriced but the Italian food is very good and reasonably priced. The key is that they keep the menu relatively small, so everything is fresh.

Carrraba's is a chain restaurant owned by the same company that owns outback steakhouse, LOL!

It's halfway decent for a boil-in-the bag chain restaurant, but it's no scratch italian place by any means.

I heard Vito's (the old Rico's) re-opened under new management and kept the same menu as the old place. Rico's used to be good for Italian. Haven't been to Vito's since the re-opening but seems to have good reviews: Google Maps

Last edited:
Carrraba's is a chain restaurant owned by the same company that owns outback steakhouse, LOL!

It's halfway decent for a boil-in-the bag chain restaurant, but it's no scratch italian place by any means.

mcdonalds on south geddes. GREAT burgers

The new Craftsman Wood Grill and Tavern is now open in Fayetteville. I think they've done a fantastic job on the renovations. Really top-notch, IMO. The service is definitely a work-in-progress at this point, though. Prices on booze are at the higher end. No happy hour planned. I didn't try a lot of the food. The menu looked fairly straightforward and people will find their old standards and some rotating entrees. I was left unimpressed with the food, especially for the price. We didn't try a lot of things, but the ones that we did were a little meh.

I'll go back, though.
Went there Saturday at 6. Hostess told us they weren’t taking walk-ins before 9. Left and headed to Dino for a more manageable wait.

You need to get out of the North Country more ;)
But kidding aside ... and you may get down to Syracuse more often than I do ... when my wife and I hung around after a game a month ago I was surprised by the night/restaurant life downtown. We ate at Franchescas and it was Deelish but there are many other good choices as indicated up-thread.

Last edited: