OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

Fish sandwich on friday is pretty tasty.

I avoided Arad Evans for a long time because I thought it was pretentious, but I've been twice in the last few months and really enjoyed it. I hit Papa Gallo every few weeks. It's a quick stop and consistent food. Scotch & Sirloin is great on a cold night when they have the fire ripping and you want a few drinks, some peanuts, and maybe an app or small plate. Ray Brothers down near Hamilton is doing great. I know the owners (one's an SU alum). My secret dive bar with good food is the Blue Canoe out in Erieville - especially good on a warm summer night.

I'm looking foward to the opening of the new Wood Grill at the Craftsman. Avicollis and Bull & Bear in Fayetteville should be opening this winter/early spring.
Blue Canoe’s an absolute diamond.

Such a hipster thing to say.

Meat BBQ in East Lansing is damn good.

And I’m 52...far from a hipster..

Last edited by a moderator:
I did. But half the responses were littered with pizza, diners, sub shops, fish and chip places, and regional chains. I value your opinion and know you love the area. Give me six good “restaurants.”

For reference, I think Grimaldi’s is a 7 out of 10, Scotch and Sirloin gets my business occasionally for the bourbon list and adequate steak, and I enjoy Santangelos. I won’t touch CNY seafood as I live 4 minutes from the ocean and am spoiled. As an aside, Dino bbq is the most overrated bbq joint in America. And whoever said twins trees has good pizza is correct.
The original Syracuse Grimaldi's on Erie back in the day was THE Place. I saw both Louie Carneseca and Rollie Massimino in there having dinner after SU basketball games in the 1980's. Favorite hangout for the SU team as well (won't get into that). Fred and Mary were very personable and would always greet their "guests" at their table making sure everything was just so.

Grover's was a near miss imo. Preferred Pascales and then Tavern 104 when they were in there. Bull and Bear is supposedly moving into Hullars old spot up the hill.

Yeah I really liked the food at Tavern 104. I wonder if Pascale's would still be open if it was in its original location. Seems like they bailed on downtown right around the same time things were starting to turn around down there.

I did. But half the responses were littered with pizza, diners, sub shops, fish and chip places, and regional chains. I value your opinion and know you love the area. Give me six good “restaurants.”

For reference, I think Grimaldi’s is a 7 out of 10, Scotch and Sirloin gets my business occasionally for the bourbon list and adequate steak, and I enjoy Santangelos. I won’t touch CNY seafood as I live 4 minutes from the ocean and am spoiled. As an aside, Dino bbq is the most overrated bbq joint in America. And whoever said twins trees has good pizza is correct.

Six great restaurants. Staying in the city of Syracuse, no bar & grills, no diners, no family restaurants, Fine dining only. Here I go;
  • Francesca's
  • Lemon Grass
  • Laci's Tapas
  • Bistro Elephant
  • 317 @ Montgomery
  • Asti's
  • +1 Dolce Vita, +2 Citronelle
I would stack these places against any restaurants in Albany, Rochester or Buffalo. BTW - the three you listed would be outside my Top 25. And I agree, DinoBBQ has lost its edge.

Six great restaurants. Staying in the city of Syracuse, no bar & grills, no diners, no family restaurants, Fine dining only. Here I go;
  • Francesca's
  • Lemon Grass
  • Laci's Tapas
  • Bistro Elephant
  • 317 @ Montgomery
  • Asti's
I would stack these places against any restaurants in Albany, Rochester or Buffalo. BTW - the three you listed would be outside my Top 25. And I agree, DinoBBQ has lost its edge.
Asti's is very very good

Just wasnt sure when they start serving lunch or if its all day too

There’s just one menu with everything but not sure if there are time restrictions on what one orders. It’s only open from 5am till 2pm I think though.

• Francesca's
  • Lemon Grass
  • Laci's Tapas
  • Bistro Elephant
  • 317 @ Montgomery
  • Asti's
Asti’s and 317 are my preferences of the list. Good list.

There’s just one menu with everything but not sure if there are time restrictions on what one orders. It’s only open from 5am till 2pm I think though.
Ive never gone to a diner and not ordered three eggs, bacon, home fries and toast in my life so good to know

Ive never gone to a diner and not ordered three eggs, bacon, home fries and toast in my life so good to know

If you ever do you have to go to the original Nestico's on West Genesee St. It's different from the other one. Their breakfast is outstanding. Expect a small wait if you go between 930-1130 on Saturday, but it is well worth the wait. The best belgian waffles, skillet specials, and frittata's around. I have been going every Saturday with my 97 year old Granpa for the last 6 or 7 years

If you ever do you have to go to the original Nestico's on West Genesee St. It's different from the other one. Their breakfast is outstanding. Expect a small wait if you go between 930-1130 on Saturday, but it is well worth the wait. The best belgian waffles, skillet specials, and frittata's around. I have been going every Saturday with my 97 year old Granpa for the last 6 or 7 years

Wow thats 5 mins from my house and I’ve never heard of it. Best believe im early birding saturday

• Francesca's
  • Lemon Grass
  • Laci's Tapas
  • Bistro Elephant
  • 317 @ Montgomery
  • Asti's

Thank you

Ithaca’s

LOL. Ok, I'll drive to Michigan for BBQ.

Can you bring me back some? I too think Dino has taken a step backwards.

Can you bring me back some? I too think Dino has taken a step backwards.
I was just kidding. I am not really going to drive 1,000 miles for bbq when I really like Dino bbq though that seems so make me unsophisticated.

Yeah I really liked the food at Tavern 104. I wonder if Pascale's would still be open if it was in its original location. Seems like they bailed on downtown right around the same time things were starting to turn around down there.
I think they are running the restaurant at Drumlins now. Ate there a couple of times. It’s ok not great.

• Francesca's
  • Lemon Grass
  • Laci's Tapas
  • Bistro Elephant
  • 317 @ Montgomery
  • Asti's
I think the strip along E Genesee where Dolce Vita and Phoebes is located has potential to be a restaurant hot spot with the new apartment developments in that area. Also near by there is Melo Velo Cafe which is kinda funky and has good food.