Ok, Who do you have, who do you want and why in Duke/UVa tomorrow?! | Syracusefan.com

Ok, Who do you have, who do you want and why in Duke/UVa tomorrow?!

WaHoos4Me

Scout Team
Pardon my non SU basketball post, but just wanted to see what youse were thinking in this matchup tomorrow... I know I'm biased, and of course I will predict a UVa win, but here is my why... I don't think Duke is as solid as they have been in the past. Coach K is lacking leadership on the court... Okafor is a good scorer, but to me it seems he doesn't put forth an equal effort on the defensive end. Duke also doesn't seem to have the 2nd wave of subs that he used to have coming in every tv timeout... They do have a perimeter game, but it to is not up to the typical high caliber standard...

Coach Bennett has reawakened the "sleeping giant" many people in the media said UVa was. I can remember the days of the early 80's through mid 90's when we were relevant in the basketball world... This UVa team is loaded with contributors, though maybe not the McD AA that Kentucky, Duke and Carolina saunter out each and every game... But this UVa team is a solid 8-9 deep, with only one senior... The 3rd years are strong, and Perrantes is one of the best floor generals in the nation... He has the ability to see the court and not worry about being "the highlight" or a flashy scorer...

I believe UVa's depth and discipline will lead them to a victory tomorrow... Joyously so, from my view point... Just wanted to see/get some unbiased non-UVa board thoughts... My final predicition... Duke 61 UVa 68... Go Hoos...

That game will be a coin flip, 4 point win or less. Both teams will be ready to play. Id take the duke money line/ win.

Last edited:
Like the Super Bowl, just a good game. I don't really care who wins.

Pardon my non SU basketball post, but just wanted to see what youse were thinking in this matchup tomorrow... I know I'm biased, and of course I will predict a UVa win, but here is my why... I don't think Duke is as solid as they have been in the past. Coach K is lacking leadership on the court... Okafor is a good scorer, but to me it seems he doesn't put forth an equal effort on the defensive end. Duke also doesn't seem to have the 2nd wave of subs that he used to have coming in every tv timeout... They do have a perimeter game, but it to is not up to the typical high caliber standard...

Coach Bennett has reawakened the "sleeping giant" many people in the media said UVa was. I can remember the days of the early 80's through mid 90's when we were relevant in the basketball world... This UVa team is loaded with contributors, though maybe not the McD AA that Kentucky, Duke and Carolina saunter out each and every game... But this UVa team is a solid 8-9 deep, with only one senior... The 3rd years are strong, and Perrantes is one of the best floor generals in the nation... He has the ability to see the court and not worry about being "the highlight" or a flashy scorer...

I believe UVa's depth and discipline will lead them to a victory tomorrow... Joyously so, from my view point... Just wanted to see/get some unbiased non-UVa board thoughts... My final predicition... Duke 61 UVa 68... Go Hoos...
Using only the most scientific and impartial methodology:

Orange>Blue
Virginia>North Carolina
Jamestown Island>Roanoke Island
VA home of 5 US Presidents>NC home of 0 US Presidents
Thomas Jefferson founder of UVA>James Duke founder of Duke endowment

By my precise calculations, UVA will win by 3 points. As a fellow Virginian, you know that I'm completely unbiased and can vouch for my rationality when it comes to NC/VA sports. Go Hoos!!

UVA all the way. I love to see Duke behind us in the standings. Keep them down while you can. And it's hard to hate on Tony Bennett. I loved his work with Lady Gaga. I expect the Cavs to win comfortably, your score looks about right to me.

imagine if they lose to UV, ND is 2 games away with the GT in between, and 2 games with UNC and SU left.

As I've mentioned, I really can't get very worked up about any of the ACC teams that were there before we showed up.
Just a bunch of opponents.

But I enjoy watching UVA play.
No superstars...great teamwork...along with Wisconsin the most fundamentally sound team in America.
Tony Bennett is no Terry Holland...and Virginia is all the better for that.
Who am I rooting for tomorrow?
Doesn't matter.

Using only the most scientific and impartial methodology:

Orange>Blue
Virginia>North Carolina
Jamestown Island>Roanoke Island
VA home of 5 US Presidents>NC home of 0 US Presidents
Thomas Jefferson founder of UVA>James Duke founder of Duke endowment

By my precise calculations, UVA will win by 3 points. As a fellow Virginian, you know that I'm completely unbiased and can vouch for my rationality when it comes to NC/VA sports. Go Hoos!!

James K Polk begs to differ!

As far as the game goes, UVa all the way. Go Hoos. I want UVa undefeated when UNC knocks them off. ;)

UVA. The game is at your place, so you should win. If it were at Duke, I'd tell you to watch out for that phantom offensive foul they are going to call on you with :30 seconds left. If it happens, tell your coach to keep his jacket on.

I'd like to see UVa win, but Duke will win the game. Okafor is going to make your bigs look silly. They absolutely would have won the game on Wed if Okafor/Jefferson had made a decent % from the line and if they didn't have 10-11 little bunnies rim out on them.

James K Polk begs to differ!
Well...I guess you could claim he was from North Carolina, but he lived in Tennessee from age 11 and spent his political life as a Tennessean. He did return to NC for a couple of years to go to school at UNC, but returned to TN after graduation serving in the US congress as speaker of the house and governor of TN before becoming president. He's always been on my Tennessee list, but he was born in NC so can be claimed by both.

I want to pick UVA, but then I remember how Duke beat Louisville a couple weeks ago in similar circumstances, so I don't know.

I expect I'll pull for UV. Not because I dislike Duke, but because it's nice to see a program in its (latest) ascendancy. Go 'Hoos!

I think UVA will win fairly easily, unless Duke is absolutely on fire from 3 but I don't think Bennett will let that happen. Its really incredible that UVA is doing this without any surefire NBA talent, though I realize some of these guys are looking more and more like NBA talent every day. Perrantes seems very similar to Ennis. Too bad we did not get to see those two go head to head more than once. If Ennis was good enough to get drafted first round after freshman year, one would think logically that Perrantes is starting to draw interest. Maybe he is. I don't know. If he was on SU and SU was enjoying this kind of success, I think he would definitely be drawing interest, as a beneficiary of the SU point guard becoming more and more of a spotlight position in the media. The scary part of UVA is that unless one of these guys leave, they only lose Atkins next year. That does not mean I would not look forward to a front court of DC/CM/TR/MB/TB going after these guys, but they are lined up for another top 5 next year. How do Cavs fan handicap the chances of Anderson or others leaving early?

UVA 72 Duke 61

I think UVA will win fairly easily, unless Duke is absolutely on fire from 3 but I don't think Bennett will let that happen. Its really incredible that UVA is doing this without any surefire NBA talent, though I realize some of these guys are looking more and more like NBA talent every day. Perrantes seems very similar to Ennis. Too bad we did not get to see those two go head to head more than once. If Ennis was good enough to get drafted first round after freshman year, one would think logically that Perrantes is starting to draw interest. Maybe he is. I don't know. If he was on SU and SU was enjoying this kind of success, I think he would definitely be drawing interest, as a beneficiary of the SU point guard becoming more and more of a spotlight position in the media. The scary part of UVA is that unless one of these guys leave, they only lose Atkins next year. That does not mean I would not look forward to a front court of DC/CM/TR/MB/TB going after these guys, but they are lined up for another top 5 next year. How do Cavs fan handicap the chances of Anderson or others leaving early?

UVA 72 Duke 61
There has been a little discussion of Anderson leaving early, but that's mostly scuttlebutt right now. Only Anderson would know, and it seems that he's pretty determined to make this program one to be reckoned with. He is a freak athlete, for sure. I think Bennett has coached these kids into growing with his system, without the need for the "hoopla" and "me first" mantra. Meaning, he wants kids to stick around, mature/develop and get the education before they jump ship and head for the pros. How much longer this can stay possible with the re-emergence of UVa, first time in the "new" media savvy/instant information era, I don't know; but I'm willing to ride it out...

Brogdon won't leave this year, IMO... His parents both went to big name schools, Brown and Harvard, maybe? I think he wants to finish his masters before he leaves. He is a 4th year, but one of those years was a medical redshirt, so that's why he's already working on his masters. I'm totally speculating here, but that's the feel I get from what I read and see when they play.

The LP/Ennis match up would have been amazing. I think Ennis would have benefited more by staying under JB's tutelage for at least this year, but he jumped and who can blame him?

As far as the game goes, UVa all the way. Go Hoos. I want UVa undefeated when UNC knocks them off. ;)
UNC/UVa will be a battle... You guys are playing at a very high level right now also...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom