Who wanted HCFB to go for two and the win, even just a little? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who wanted HCFB to go for two and the win, even just a little?

Exactly what I typed lol. Fran himself said he didn’t have the heart to go for it. Nixon was ready to roll on it. Good one minute chat about it in the presser
Thx.
Just watched it.
Excellent presser.
Thought for a second he said 'Nixon didn't have the heart' which would have been a shocking thing to say.

I would have gone for the 2. Everyone forgets that the key to the OT was out of our hands. We won the toss and got to go second. If we had to go first, they would have gone for it instead of going for 3. We don't know what would have happened. We hadn't stopped the when we needed to most of the game.

They were gassed if we went for 2 as well.
Why gamble on one play when you can dissect them over several? I guess it makes for a better storyline, but it certainly isn't good strategy given our advantages.

And they would be MORE gassed.

If the number of plays were reversed you probably go for it.

But given that we had the ball almost all game, it makes sense. Still shocked UNLV downed it, knowing the same thing.

Why gamble on one play when you can dissect them over several? I guess it makes for a better storyline, but it certainly isn't good strategy give our advantages.
We see our advantages after the game is over. They were moving the ball against us at will as well. We were able to make one stop. Added by the fact that they went first. I take the chance to win the game right there.

This whole thing about the UNLV D being gassed is over emphasized. These are 20-year-old kids adrenalized for the final play of the game that determines whether they win or lose. They’re not gonna be tired for that one play. They’re going to be keenly on edge and ready to pounce. It’s the last play of the game chrissake.

prior to scoring i thought going for two was the call as well. However, after the score seeing how pumped the team was i hoped that he would kick the Point after which if you watched was a great job by the holder as the snap was low. In listening to Fran discuss his reasoning I like his thought process.

We see our advantages after the game is over. They were moving the ball against us at will as well. We were able to make one stop. Added by the fact that they went first. I take the chance to win the game right there.
We had a much greater advantage on offense than they did, as the game stats show. That was clear during the game. Press it. Some will say that going for two is putting max trust in your guys; it isn't. Going for it is saying that you need to roll the dice on one play instead of trusting your guys to execute on several.

I think everyone needs to be honest. If that was called on us, this board would be on fire.

That said I didn’t see the chop block 2 plays before
We've been on the end of that too many times. I remember we'd even be mad Dino would stare into space and not say a word either.

I have no problem winning with a questionable call. We deserve a couple here and there.

I thought we needed to go for two - figured we have a 60% chance of making the extra point and 75% chance of losing if we had to rely on kicking in OT - our special teams if needs to be imploded

We had a much greater advantage on offense than they did, as the game stats show. That was clear during the game. Press it. Some will say that going for two is putting max trust in your guys; it isn't. Going for it is saying that you need to roll the dice on one play instead of trusting your guys to execute on several.
Well, in hindsight that turned out great for us. I watched them go up and down the field against us and I was worried that the game could come down to FG's. Who did I trust to win at that point? Plus, I didn't know who would win the toss and get to go last. If UNLV got to go last, I'm not sure we would have won.

I certainly thought about. I had concerns about stopping their mobile QB in OT. I was stunned UNLV didn't use timeouts on defense and then had them when all they needed was a fg and just took a knee. Their playmakers seemed to be faster where just 1 broken tackle and they could be in fg range.

Well, in hindsight that turned out great for us. I watched them go up and down the field against us and I was worried that the game could come down to FG's. Who did I trust to win at that point? Plus, I didn't know who would win the toss and get to go last. If UNLV got to go last, I'm not sure we would have won.
Good points, all. SU might have been in a situation where it was 4-down ball given the "special" teams play.

In regulation, SU scored, 37-38. A part of me wanted the the two=point conversion and the in in regulation. My head knows HCFB made the right call, UNLV was gassed and we would score. But my heart recalled the WVU win to seal the deal on 11-0 and my heart wanted the two points.
I wanted to go for 2. Did not have confidence in our ability to stop them, especially if Williams started to scramble. Its a gut feel and Brown is in charge. Congrats to him and to the kids; they showed up down the stretch.

I wanted to go for 2. Did not have confidence in our ability to stop them, especially if Williams started to scramble. Its a gut feel and Brown is in charge. Congrats to him and to the kids; they showed up down the stretch.
Tie the game, go for the win in OT. And, it worked. We were too much for them late.

The adrenaline pumping to stop pops has to be pretty high. Glad you survived though lol
He is often told he can inherit the Swish family fortune if he can ever top pops. His retort is to snark that he wouldn't know what to do with that $5.35

In regulation, SU scored, 37-38. A part of me wanted the the two=point conversion and the in in regulation. My head knows HCFB made the right call, UNLV was gassed and we would score. But my heart recalled the WVU win to seal the deal on 11-0 and my heart wanted the two points.
Our run game was not reliable enough.

Also, except for STs, SU was the better team, so extending the game was in our favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom