Who wanted HCFB to go for two and the win, even just a little? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who wanted HCFB to go for two and the win, even just a little?

Fran said in presser Nixon wanted to go for it, Fran said he had no heart. Said he trusted the training and conditioning of the team. He said they play 5 quarters in scrimmages so they are used to overtime.

I also think the red zone defense is obviously the best D they have. So makes sense
Fran said what?

Eh, we don’t work for decades grounding ourselves in these things…or have a sheet that lays out the math in every scenario. This should be a no brainer for the coach either way.
And even with all that you may have to rely on a gut feeling. Which can turn out to be right or wrong. split second decisions can impact the momentum of the game.

I was curious to find out when was the last college football game that ended in a Tie. D1 FBS introduced overtime starting with bowl games in 1995 (8 years too late for our Auburn game). The first overtime game was, ironically, the Vegas Bowl in 1995.

The last college football game that ended in a tie was 11/25/1995 when Illinois played Wisconsin in a barnburner ending in a 3-3 draw.

I was pissed we didn't go for 2. We didn't stop their QB pretty much all night.
If the D would have sent 4 rushers instead of 3 that sure would have helped or kept having Diggs spy on him. It's so frustrating sometimes on what our DC is thinking.

Almost every thought expressed in this thread went through my kind. Even on the drive I waffled whether we should kick the extra point or go for two.

Regardless of how we won, Fran Brown has the trust of every kid on the team. He is there to win.

I thought I’d not forgive Fran if we went for two and missed it. Our offense had like 40 minutes time of possession and were moving the ball effectively. Plus McCord had some throws near the end zone in this game that were questionable

Exactly what I typed lol. Fran himself said he didn’t have the heart to go for it. Nixon was ready to roll on it. Good one minute chat about it in the presser
Oh. I thought you meant he said Nixon had no heart

If the D would have sent 4 rushers instead of 3 that sure would have helped or kept having Diggs spy on him. It's so frustrating sometimes on what our DC is thinking.
Fran explained in the presser what the game plan was on D. The DC was following the plan.

Exactly what I typed lol. Fran himself said he didn’t have the heart to go for it. Nixon was ready to roll on it. Good one minute chat about it in the presser
I wish these decisions weren't about heart

He made the right decision for the wrong reason

In regulation, SU scored, 37-38. A part of me wanted the the two=point conversion and the in in regulation. My head knows HCFB made the right call, UNLV was gassed and we would score. But my heart recalled the WVU win to seal the deal on 11-0 and my heart wanted the two points.
Going for two...the percentages are not in your favor to get the two and the win!! Statistics say go into overtime! Why? Going for two is an all or none proposition...it is exactly like this: you have two choices: Roll the dice and get a 7 and win one million dollars...or roll the dice 6 times, get a 7 and win a million dollars. Which option would you take? That is exactly what going for 2 is like!!!

I dont think going for 2 makes any sense . Now if we had missed XPs or FGs with the Cornell kid than maybe. But in a game where you have run 50 more plays OT is your friend.
I agree. If it was on the one yard line I’d consider it. But we had completely worn out UNLVs defense at that point. Tie it up. I know that’s easy to say in hindsight but that’s what I would have done.

I thought about it
I loved our chances in OT. I also was expecting a kick to be blocked somewhere.

Don’t think we have a good enough play for that situation.

Also crazy they kneed it and didn’t try and gain 30 yards a kick a FG.

Fran explained in the presser what the game plan was on D. The DC was following the plan.
I think Fran wants more speed on defense before they put their corners on an island. His explanation makes sense.

I think Fran wants more speed on defense before they put their corners on an island. His explanation makes sense.
The speed issue, especially at LB, seems pretty obvious to my eye.

But I think the game plan was more about not getting beat deep, not having the secondary turning and chasing and have that QB run up the field. That was Williams did at Campbell and against Fresno. They clearly wanted to keep everything in front of them. I think we will continue to see that philosophy going forward. And, to a large extent, it was reasonably effective. The issue is that, when you play like that, you had better come up and make tackles in space. We had 14 missed tackles last night on only 54 play defended. That is the deeper issue.

I wouId have gone for the two in a heartbeat. I didn't want UNIV to get the baII again in OT. That three and out astounded me. When there coach kicked the FG I figured we had it.

In regulation, SU scored, 37-38. A part of me wanted the the two=point conversion and the in in regulation. My head knows HCFB made the right call, UNLV was gassed and we would score. But my heart recalled the WVU win to seal the deal on 11-0 and my heart wanted the two points.
I would have gone for two. Wasn’t super confident about OT, particularly with a disastrous kicking game

Not for a second. The UNLV defense had to be very tired at that point.

Just a little. I liked our chances getting set up in the red zone in OT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom