Class of 2019 - OL/DL Antonio Alfano (NJ) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL/DL Antonio Alfano (NJ)

Beat me to it posting about this kid. Sounds like he's homesick and his grandmothers health is affecting him. Saban sounds butt hurt the kid isn't drinking the koolaid. I'd trust Dino's judgment here, but would be shocked if this kid doesn't end up at Penn State unfortunately.

Last edited:
the kid is apparently an off the field disaster, this has nothing to do with homesick/grandmother's health. Dino isn't going after him, and even a slimebag like Franklin isn't going after him

Kind of makes me think back to Chris Clark - remember all the grief Shafer took when he cut ties with him due to attitude/off the field stuff and he subsequently transferred to Pitt? Well he lasted barely a year at Pitt before transferring to Towson.

Sometimes it's best to just pass.

It's too bad. Kid has a lot of talent and still could very well have a great career ahead of him but the ones that usually make it separate themselves with the mental make up just as much as they do the physical.

There's an article on the Athletic about him that sums most of it up. He went from dominating in high school to showing up to Tuscaloosa and getting kinda shocked at how much more advanced and bigger the other freshman DL in his class were. He was a 5 star coming in and these guys were top 100 4 star types but all were doing considerably better. He was working like crazy in the weightroom but had a set back and lost some of his progress he made, got pretty discouraged and then it looks like just quit on the program. The coaches wanted him to stay and keep battling, his parents wanted him to stay and keep battling and Saban and the staff did everything and then some in terms of trying to accomodate his return and being patient with him but ultimately he made his decision and now isn't with the program anymore.

It's too bad. Kid has a lot of talent and still could very well have a great career ahead of him but the ones that usually make it separate themselves with the mental make up just as much as they do the physical.

There's an article on the Athletic about him that sums most of it up. He went from dominating in high school to showing up to Tuscaloosa and getting kinda shocked at how much more advanced and bigger the other freshman DL in his class were. He was a 5 star coming in and these guys were top 100 4 star types but all were doing considerably better. He was working like crazy in the weightroom but had a set back and lost some of his progress he made, got pretty discouraged and then it looks like just quit on the program. The coaches wanted him to stay and keep battling, his parents wanted him to stay and keep battling and Saban and the staff did everything and then some in terms of trying to accomodate his return and being patient with him but ultimately he made his decision and now isn't with the program anymore.
If that's the whole story, I'd give him a chance. We're kind of desperate at DT.

Kind of makes me think back to Chris Clark - remember all the grief Shafer took when he cut ties with him due to attitude/off the field stuff and he subsequently transferred to Pitt? Well he lasted barely a year at Pitt before transferring to Towson.

Sometimes it's best to just pass.
Yep, a 5* recruit that no one even remembers that went to two P-5 programs.

The kid has left Colorado now after being suspended. I am sure the coaching staff has done their due diligence with this situation and spoken with all three of his former coaches, but man would it be nice to get a potential talent in the house.

It'll never come to fruition but just one of those things you dream about...Babers brings in "troubled" talented youngster and steers him in the right direction and is now a 1st round draft pick.

The kid has left Colorado now after being suspended. I am sure the coaching staff has done their due diligence with this situation and spoken with all three of his former coaches, but man would it be nice to get a potential talent in the house.

It'll never come to fruition but just one of those things you dream about...Babers brings in "troubled" talented youngster and steers him in the right direction and is now a 1st round draft pick.

What good is a 5 star talent that will never see the field? I believe in 2nd chances but when you start getting into 3rd, 4th and 5th...Yikes. And to make it worse, when he left Alabama he was supposed to be transferring to be near his sick grandmother, then transfers to...Colorado? No thanks.

Every JUCO coach in America is trying to get ahold of him right now.

Lol, this kid is covered in red flags and is untouchable right now. I wouldn't even take him if I was a JUCO.

Rather not. Better chance that he would negatively effect the team then positively.

I mean at some point you gotta reach out and try. We are a bottom of the ACC team that maybe can create a consistent bowl team. This kid was ranked top 10 in the country and is on the dline. You can’t pass that up. If you bring him in and he does the wrong thing, you boot him. It’s really that simple.

I really can’t stand when you guys would rather have a 2 or 3 star that is “under recruited” or “late bloomer.” We need talent and we need to get better. If you have a chance to bring in talent, you attempt!!!

I mean at some point you gotta reach out and try. We are a bottom of the ACC team that maybe can create a consistent bowl team. This kid was ranked top 10 in the country and is on the dline. You can’t pass that up. If you bring him in and he does the wrong thing, you boot him. It’s really that simple.

I really can’t stand when you guys would rather have a 2 or 3 star that is “under recruited” or “late bloomer.” We need talent and we need to get better. If you have a chance to bring in talent, you attempt!!!
Cuse4Life I really really really feel and agree 100% point about more talent and higher rated guys. We would have a chance to pick up the highest rated recruit for us in the Rivals/2-4-7 era. However I am with Bnoro on this one (wait did I just say that).
This kid has more red flags than our one time
football messiah Robert Washington. AA would be a bigger and faster Alton Robinson but I heard from another P5 school that was a finalist for him that they wont even touch him at this point, multiple issues at two P5 schools he technically hasnt even practiced with. Crazy how these kids with so much god given talent just throw away golden opportunities. Two years ago this kid literally could've gone to pretty much any school in America. SMH

The funny thing is if this kid says he is coming to us lets be honest we all will pray he works out his issues and jump for joy lol. Hope it all works out for this kid. I hate to see a 17, 18 19yo screw up his life

Yes you can pass it up and yes we will pass it up.

Cuse4Life I really really really feel and agree 100% point about more talent and higher rated guys. We would have a chance to pick up the highest rated recruit for us in the Rivals/2-4-7 era. However I am with Bnoro on this one (wait did I just say that).
This kid has more red flags than our one time
football messiah Robert Washington. AA would be a bigger and faster Alton Robinson but I heard from another P5 school that was a finalist for him that they wont even touch him at this point, multiple issues at two P5 schools he technically hasnt even practiced with. Crazy how these kids with so much god given talent just throw away golden opportunities. Two years ago this kid literally could've gone to pretty much any school in America. SMH
I hear you and respect the issues with bringing in someone with red flags in his past. But like everyone is saying, this kid is 18 or 19 now. He has soooo much to learn and mature.

I guess I just respect Babers so much and believe he is such a great father figure and one of the best coaches out there. I believe he could connect w him and maybe get the kid to see the future.

I hear you and respect the issues with bringing in someone with red flags in his past. But like everyone is saying, this kid is 18 or 19 now. He has soooo much to learn and mature.

I guess I just respect Babers so much and believe he is such a great father figure and one of the best coaches out there. I believe he could connect w him and maybe get the kid to see the future.
This kid literally couldn't be saved by Nick Saban. I respect Babers for not even entertaining the thought.

I will put it this way. If AA transferred to Syracuse I would be ecstatic full stop.. There is a reason college rosters aren't just 24 players. Having a 5 star top 5 recruit cant be bad UNLESS he is toxic to the other impressionable 18 and 19yo on the team.

You make a point I agree with on 2 star guys. If we take a shot on low 2 star guys (with no other P5 offers) who will never see the field and even if they did might not be ACC ready so end up on the bench, how could it be worse if a kid like AA took one of those roster spots. Again it goes back to his behavior. It seems like he had major major issues not just a homesick kid. Again if he came to us I would be happy but highly unlikely. And pretty sure he wouldn't get a waiver anyways

Last edited:
This kid literally couldn't be saved by Nick Saban. I respect Babers for not even entertaining the thought.
Believe it or not this kid wasn't a priority for Saban last year lol. I saw Saban's quotes on him but AA went from being the best player on every field in high school his last 3 years to not even on the depth chart when he got to Bama. I always hoped that was his big problem. Seems it isn't

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom